Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The more he plays and people see him, the more he justifies being taken at 3.

He’s a blooming star. Let’s just hope he develops as such and isn’t rushed into the role like so many others before him.

I find this so maddening. Every year there are about 5-6 guys who make the NHL at 18. If we drafted a guy at #3, it should at least be a real possibility that he be one of them.

It's almost like we don't want him to come until he is ready to win the Art Ross, so that we can dream of how good he MIGHT be instead of seeing the reality of having a great prospect who starts at the base, like players such as Tyler Seguin and Seth Jones and countless others have done.

As further evidence of the fanbase insanity, I saw many people UPSET that Kotkaniemi said he'd like to have the impact Saku Koivu had. Fans are like "not good enough, Koivu was not a real #1C, shut up and stay away until you can come in and play like McDavid".

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I find this so maddening. Every year there are about 5-6 guys who make the NHL at 18. If we drafted a guy at #3, it should at least be a real possibility that he be one of them.

It's almost like we don't want him to come until he is ready to win the Art Ross, so that we can dream of how good he MIGHT be instead of seeing the reality of having a great prospect who starts at the base, like players such as Tyler Seguin and Seth Jones and countless others have done.

As further evidence of the fanbase insanity, I saw many people UPSET that Kotkaniemi said he'd like to have the impact Saku Koivu had. Fans are like "not good enough, Koivu was not a real #1C, shut up and stay away until you can come in and play like McDavid".

you are correct, but I think it is more the fans don't trust management to develop players properly and it will backfire with yet another #3 overall pick. To say the club makes weird decisions and moves, without thinking out long term impact, is an understatement.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Personally, I think he'll be better than Saku, but I'd still be a happy with a poor man's Koivu, especially if we're talking about Saku at his peek, which incidently, was probably never really fully reached.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
you are correct, but I think it is more the fans don't trust management to develop players properly and it will backfire with yet another #3 overall pick. To say the club makes weird decisions and moves, without thinking out long term impact, is an understatement.

So if the clown Bergevin and the suffocator Julien were gone and we had new blood at the top with good attitude, fans would not want Kotka to be good enough to make the team?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I’m terrified. He seems to be a happy talented kid... I ve seen this play out all too often with our team.

Yes, therefore keep him away. In fact, keep Jack Hughes away too once we draft him. Always better to wait than bring a young one up. Keep them all away from this bad place, we prefer to dream about what they could do instead.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So if the clown Bergevin and the suffocator Julien were gone and we had new blood at the top with good attitude, fans would not want Kotka to be good enough to make the team?

Stop with the sophist dichotomies.

Kotkaniemi should be allowed to drvedevat an ideal pace rwgardlessof who the coach and GM are.

However, the toxic situation in Montreal increases the case against having Kotkaniemi make the Habs this year or next.

Reactions: bsl and Andrei79

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Stop with the sophist dichotomies.

Kotkaniemi should be allowed to drvedevat an ideal pace rwgardlessof who the coach and GM are.

However, the toxic situation in Montreal increases the case against having Kotkaniemi make the Habs this year or next.

So that I understand, you are afraid that Kotkaniemi will make the team, under current management, because of a bad decision and NOT because he is good enough?

I can understand that concern, but some people (not necessarily you) seem to be saying that we should as a matter of principle not play an 18 year old, and all I'm saying is that other teams do it and it works out fine in many cases.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Yes, therefore keep him away. In fact, keep Jack Hughes away too once we draft him. Always better to wait than bring a young one up. Keep them all away from this bad place, we prefer to dream about what they could do instead.
I am actually for having him play in a Laval this year. Just scares me lol. Be good brother!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I am actually for having him play in a Laval this year. Just scares me lol. Be good brother!

I'm fine with that, Bouchard would be a good leader. And if he is scoring at a point a game and remains so until January, bring him up!

Reactions: cphabs

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Again, I guess it depends who thinks he is good enough. I don't trust any of the management team to make that unbiased decision, because they have a proven history of making panic moves and moves not in the best interest of the player.

This duo will never have my trust to make a good decision with young players.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So that I understand, you are afraid that Kotkaniemi will make the team, under current management, because of a bad decision and NOT because he is good enough?

I can understand that concern, but some people (not necessarily you) seem to be saying that we should as a matter of principle not play an 18 year old, and all I'm saying is that other teams do it and it works out fine in many cases.
Jesperi is just not good enough this year. He needs to get physically stronger and dominate offensively.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Jesperi is just not good enough this year. He needs to get physically stronger and dominate offensively.

I can't fort the life of me see any advantage in bringing him to the pros right now. His camp would have to be godly and even still I'd be hesitant.

Reactions: Mrb1p

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I understand your opinion at the moment. If you think someone is not good enough, you don't want to see him over his head.

My question is different. Do you WANT him to be good enough to make the team? Are you HOPING he shows he can play at this level despite his age and physical strength? Plenty other 18 year olds make the NHL while still getting stronger later.

Or are you like some fans, hoping we don't play anyone good until we draft at the top three more times? Then drop them all in at once for a Cup run?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I understand your opinion at the moment. If you think someone is not good enough, you don't want to see him over his head.

My question is different. Do you WANT him to be good enough to make the team? Are you HOPING he shows he can play at this level despite his age and physical strength? Plenty other 18 year olds make the NHL while still getting stronger later.

Or are you like some fans, hoping we don't play anyone good until we draft at the top three more times? Then drop them all in at once for a Cup run?
I know Kotkaniemi is not good enough. Ive scouted him enough to know hes not there yet, he needs to grow physically so he can dominate. Its about a better future and finally having our 1C.

Reactions: Andrei79 and cphabs

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
While I'm expecting at least a year with Assat, really got my fingers crossed that he has a monster camp. I know he's "young" but he's a 3rd overall pick coming from a men's league. He shouldn't appear far away at all...

Reactions: groovejuice

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
The thing is he needs to put on some good mass , bringing him up this year even if he can hang with the pros is a bit of a risk. We don't want him to get a concussion right away wich could ruin him.

There is also the factor that he was playing wing last year , one year playing center in a lower but still very respectable level should be good for him.

Just give him the Elias Petterson treatment and if he's really good he will dominate his man league and come to camp next year feeling ready and confident.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I know Kotkaniemi is not good enough. Ive scouted him enough to know hes not there yet, he needs to grow physically so he can dominate. Its about a better future and finally having our 1C.
Do you think he could develop in the AHL next year? Forgive the excitement and thank you for your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad