Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Woe is me...it’s always someone else’s fault if KK falls to ice w a little bump, can’t generate thrust up the middle except once every 3-4GP...yeah that’s the fault of not having best W.

KK sure looks like he could use a 5-day rest presently slated at end of the season before playoffs start.

After Staal and Frolic, KK is next in line to lose his spot in the lineup when the regulars return, not good...

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
It’s tough to say what happened to him this year. He came out of the bubble with confidence I would assume, got to start the season with Toffoli and it still didn’t click. He has gotta produce and become the same player he was in the playoffs last year if we want a shot at going deep. Still holding out hope he turns it on in the playoffs.

KK didn't lose Toffoli because they didn't click (they were producing together). He lost him because Julien wanted to get Danault to produce. KK was given a struggling recently health scratched Tatar in return. Then the coach changed and Ducharme never put Toffoli/KK/Armia back together except for the first two 2 games because he reset the line-up to the starting one. Then Toffoli was moved away to fill in for an injury and KK never played with Toffoli again after that.

This has been KK's entire season story: produce with linemates, lose linemate to get someone else line going or patch an injury. He even lost Lehk/Byron when their line was on fire. The last two months, he had to rebuild line chemistry every 2 games without practice time... People expect consistency when he has none on his line.

Now his confidence is in the shitter and he needs linemates stability but Ducharme clearly doesn't give a shit. In fact, going by the late game line blender last night, I'm expecting Ducharme to break Toffoli/Suzuki/Armia to give new wingers to Danault if Tatar doesn't come back. That's the only line producing in the team for the last 2-3 weeks...

In a year or two the same posters shitting on Kotkaniemi may well be doing the same to Caulfield, and they'll be blasting Timmins' for wasting another pick.

You won't have to wait that long, there was already people shitting on Caulfield on twitter last night.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
KK didn't lose Toffoli because they didn't click (they were producing together). He lost him because Julien wanted to get Danault to produce. KK was given a struggling recently health scratched Tatar in return. Then the coach changed and Ducharme never put Toffoli/KK/Armia back together except for the first two 2 games because he reset the line-up to the starting one. Then Toffoli was moved away to fill in for an injury and KK never played with Toffoli again after that.

This has been KK's entire season story: produce with linemates, lose linemate to get someone else line going or patch an injury. He even lost Lehk/Byron when their line was on fire. The last two months, he had to rebuild line chemistry every 2 games without practice time...

Now his confidence is in the shitter and he needs linemates stability but Ducharme clearly don't give a shit. In fact, going by the late game line blender last night, I'm expecting Ducharme to break Toffoli/Suzuki/Armia to give new wingers to Danault if Tatar doesn't come back. That's the only line producing in the team for the last 2-3 weeks...

You won't have to wait that long, there was already people shitting on Caulfield on twitter last night.

The best move of Danault's career was when he went to the media and said that he deserved better than Lehkonen and Byron, that he should never be made to play with them. He's been incredibly rewarded for it, the team is now always structured around his needs, and I expect Bergevin may give him a big payday this summer, e.g. 6.5 million/year for 8 years.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
KK made a few very good passes last night and had a few good hits. Certainly not a great game (like most Habs players) but good flashes. The line spent a lot of time in the Ottawa zone. I just wish he would have had a dominant physical game and would have potted one to regain some confidence.

Reactions: Habs178

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I hate that KK can't go 4 games playing with the same line. He's been so horribly mismanaged. Ducharme needs to leave at the end of the year, it's clear we're in win now mode with a team that just isn't good enough to win now. It doesn't make any sense.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
His skating seems to have slowed down a bit. I'd be giving him some rest once Tatar is healthy

He's clearly tired, at all levels: emotionally, mentally and physically. I actually don't mind his TOI last night because of that. I have a serious problem with Ducharme putting him on LW on the 1st line when he was already in that state thought. It just caused him to "overload".

He unfortunately can't get some rest once Tatar is healthy. We have multiple emergency recalls, once Tatar return on of Evans, Frolik or Caufield needs to be sent down first, which doesn't leave enough players to sit another player. He'll get rest once the Habs ends their season and before starting the PO (or next season if Galgary/Vancouver have a miracle run, ahahah).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's clearly tired, at all levels: emotionally, mentally and physically. I actually don't mind his TOI last night because of that. I have a serious problem with Ducharme putting him on LW on the 1st line when he was already in that state thought. It just caused him to "overload".

He unfortunately can't get some rest once Tatar is healthy. We have multiple emergency recalls, once Tatar return on of Evans, Frolik or Caufield needs to be sent down first, which doesn't leave enough players to sit another player. He'll get rest once the Habs ends their season and before starting the PO (or next season if Galgary/Vancouver have a miracle run, ahahah).

With Drouin on LTIR, I think they can rest players and keep them on the 23 man roster now so the emergency recalls don't necessary have to be used. The issue most of the season is they had to run with 21 guys and the other 2 had to go to the taxi squad which is pretty much AHL

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
The fact that Caulfield is with Danault rather than Kotkaniemi really sums up this team's developmental ineptitude well.

Always focused on winning the next regular season game, rather than building a contending core.

In a year or two the same posters shitting on Kotkaniemi may well be doing the same to Caulfield, and they'll be blasting Timmins' for wasting another pick.

"Oh my god we could have had Kerfoot !!!"
Not sure why anyone would put Caulfield with KK, who's been an offensive black hole. The team's job isn't to throw everything at the kitchen sink to get KK going, it's to win games.

KK needs to figure out how to have an impact on the game regardless of production if he wants more TOI and more consistent line mates, because right now he's an anchor to any line he plays on.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
With Drouin on LTIR, I think they can rest players and keep them on the 23 man roster now so the emergency recalls don't necessary have to be used. The issue most of the season is they had to run with 21 guys and the other 2 had to go to the taxi squad which is pretty much AHL

It's not a roster limit rule, it's an emergency recall one. You can only have emergency recalls if you can't ice a full amount of players at the given position: 2 goalies, 12 forwards, 6 dmens. If Tatar comes back, one of the emergency recall has to go down and they still only have 12 forwards to ice.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Not sure why anyone would put Caulfield with KK, who's been an offensive black hole. The team's job isn't to throw everything at the kitchen sink to get KK going, it's to win games.

KK needs to figure out how to have an impact on the game regardless of production if he wants more TOI and more consistent line mates, because right now he's an anchor to any line he plays on.

Kotkaniemi is a superior playmaker relative to Danault, that's why he'd be a better fit for Caulfield.

Caulfield is on the Danault line to get Danault going.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Kotkaniemi is a superior playmaker relative to Danault, that's why he'd be a better fit for Caulfield.

Caulfield is on the Danault line to get Danault going.
No...the Hobbit is on Danaults line to shelter his defensive weaknesses at 5-on-5

Reactions: Habs Icing

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

No, no, no, no! It's not his fault. It's those nasty blue meanie coaches we have in Montreal. They just won't give him the two best wingers on the team.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
The best move of Danault's career was when he went to the media and said that he deserved better than Lehkonen and Byron, that he should never be made to play with them. He's been incredibly rewarded for it, the team is now always structured around his needs, and I expect Bergevin may give him a big payday this summer, e.g. 6.5 million/year for 8 years.
That will happen and it will perfectly sum up everything wrong with this organization.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Woe is me...it’s always someone else’s fault if KK falls to ice w a little bump, can’t generate thrust up the middle except once every 3-4GP...yeah that’s the fault of not having best W.

KK sure looks like he could use a 5-day rest presently slated at end of the season before playoffs start.

After Staal and Frolic, KK is next in line to lose his spot in the lineup when the regulars return, not good...
Yeah, it seems Dom now favours Evans who is playing with more energy.
Hoping KK can push Staal out of the lineup. If not, he could play on the wing instead of Byron and CC.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Julien was way better for the young players on this team. He actually gave them roles and icetime.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
How do you know this? 'Cause the stats don't show it.
Danault has 24 points playing 17 minutes a game against the toughest lines from opposing teams.
KK has 20 points playing 15 minutes a game against middling opposition and getting regular PP time.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
How do you know this? 'Cause the stats don't show it.
Danault has 24 points playing 17 minutes a game against the toughest lines from opposing teams.
KK has 20 points playing 15 minutes a game against middling opposition and getting regular PP time.
He is right and any fan who watches them play would agree. One is a talentless vision less defensive minded center with the best wingers the other is a lanky kid still filling in and has vision and offensive instincts.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No...the Hobbit is on Danaults line to shelter his defensive weaknesses at 5-on-5
Why would we make a natural goal scorer a checking winger? The kid scores goals and needs a playmaking passing type of centre on his line....
Defensive awareneness is not on one guy, it's on an entire line...the kid does not need Phil dragging him down...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just think about Caufield getting more scoring chances in one shift with KK/Anderson than the rest of the game spent with Anderson/Danault...

And don't go on twitter (valid for both KK and Caufield).
Just think about the pass to open ice KK gave to Evans for a solo rush that ended up in Forsbergs mitt... imagine caufield getting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad