Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
It’s tough to say what happened to him this year. He came out of the bubble with confidence I would assume, got to start the season with Toffoli and it still didn’t click. He has gotta produce and become the same player he was in the playoffs last year if we want a shot at going deep. Still holding out hope he turns it on in the playoffs.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
It’s tough to say what happened to him this year. He came out of the bubble with confidence I would assume, got to start the season with Toffoli and it still didn’t click. He has gotta produce and become the same player he was in the playoffs last year if we want a shot at going deep. Still holding out hope he turns it on in the playoffs.

If he isn’t going to score then do something else. Be physical, play with intensity, hustle, etc. He has been invisible most of the year and most nights makes no positive impact on the game. Frankly, he’s been a passenger for months, just brutal.

Last edited:

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
yeah Brady Tkachuk should have been a Hab.
Maybe.

But I clearly remember being on this board in the days leading up to the draft and I am not exaggerating when I say that 90% of the people here were adamant about not drafting Tkachuk.

All these posts about Avoiding Tkachuk, about better not be drafting Tkachuk, about drafting Zadina, drafting Boqvist etc.

No one was pushing Brady and now everybody does a 180% and Brady should have been the Habs pick?

That's hypocritical. Hind site is always 20/20 right?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
He was scoring fine at the start of the season. Getting bounced from center to wing and ending up with Evans and Lekhonen (by the way he is the reason they have not been producing offensively since the start of the season) is a great way to show trust. And playing less than Staal or Caufield is a joke and close to the worst thing you could do to him.

Anyway it is not a mystery why no canadian team has won the SC in 30 years, part of those fan base are the worst that could happen to any team : no patience for a rebuild, for development, everything must happen now but when the team sucks, has no plan, no future, they keep buying shirts and seats, so why would the owner change anything ?

The only canadian team with a shot is TOR and guess what they have 3 top 5 at the draft in their current lineup, but it is crazy how much resitance Dubas has been facing. They have been patient with them (not like EDM with McDavid), building around them (maybe the Tavares and Nylander signing will be a mistake medium term wise but they have a deadly 1-2 punch down the middle right now and at some point you ve got to compete). Boston has had time to rebuild since their last SC win and are already a better team than any Canadian team (Tampa same by the way, PIT, WSH have been better than the Habs for the past 15 years)... but sure let s throw a 20 yr old guy under the bus...

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Maybe.

But I clearly remember being on this board in the days leading up to the draft and I am not exaggerating when I say that 90% of the people here were adamant about not drafting Tkachuk.

All these posts about Avoiding Tkachuk, about better not be drafting Tkachuk, about drafting Zadina, drafting Boqvist etc.

No one was pushing Brady and now everybody does a 180% and Brady should have been the Habs pick?

Some people talk loud and it makes the impression that said people know what they're talking about, so people follow them. I've fallen into that trap a couple of times. I remember not being enthusiastic about drafting Tkachuk either; and not because I had seen him play.

KK is still a very young player; I don't see a reason to panic. However, I don't like to see him getting benched, but I understand, kinda. I still can't figure out what his potential really is; like what kind of player he's supposed to become. I've seen people writing about a "Barkov-lite", but I don't see any similarity to their respective game. KK is a good passer, but can't really carry the puck; he's not a particularly fast skater; he has a heavy shot, but has a super slow release and is not particularly accurate. I can't really put my finger on what kind of offense output should be expected out of him.

HalfFull

Apr 30, 2021
LOL you guys want everything from a player so fast, who cares about Brady, the obsession with him is ridiculous... we have KK .. he’s 20... let the kid breathe ... he doesn’t have to take the team by storm ... dudes still growing into his body and finding his game.
Some people just like to complain and hate on everything

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
It’s not tough. He’s got new linemates every game and not the good ones, low ice time and that’s when he’s not being thrown on the wing.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Maybe.

I was grilled here for having him near the top of the draft....WeThreeKings was so dead set against him that he would t even have drafted him top 10. Of course his disciples all followed his lead in really not liking him.

How can his game translate to the NHL, he has 9 goals in college they said......well, looks like a top 2 top 3 pick now for sure.

For the record I was very happy with the KK pick but I would’ve been just as happy with Tkachuk

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
He needs to find a way to make quicker plays. Whether it be his shot, passing, or even just making a decision. If I was in charge of his off season training he would be working on forearm strength and in tight dangling extensively, his puck skills are not top 6 caliber right now.

His mind is easily top 6 caliber, now it's time for his body to catch up.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Maybe.

I was on the Tkachuk train.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Still remember Interviews from the draft

Bergevin and Timmins saying we drafted a position we needed and the BPA for them and that he was a long term project
All people who cover the draft said KK going to the habs made sense but said he was a long term project

4 months after , He's rushed into the nhl , does fine . Then gets called tired for some dark reasons , starts being bad. Season 2 , 0 confidence you can tell the kid was rushed way too quickly. Decide to finally play him in the AHL where he needed some time to work on himself. Starting doing well in the AHL , covid hits season is stopped. Bubbles starting , KK had the momentum from his AHL games before covid. 1 of the best player in the bubbles by far. Starts season 3 , Finally has a good linemate in Toffoli atleast. Plays well , Does not get alot of points but does well in the physical department and gets better at faceoffs. Mid season starts to play with Plugs over and over. No more Anderson , Toffoli , Gallagher or Tatar. Then recently said in the media that he feels alone and a bit lost. Erik Staal joins , KK pushed to almost no icetime. Injuries finally hit for the habs. Line are all f***ed over. Plays with bottom 6 liners , Drouin , Byron Lekhonen , Armia , Evans.

Sits at only 20 points in 52 games with literally nobody to play around him with extra limited icetime and barely no respect from the coach.

Meanwhile we shit on him , had bad linemates , he's in a slump

Meanwhile we have Danault who plays 2:30min more average with 24 points
Anderson the powerforward that does everything for us has only 24 points also. On pace for a 40 points season.
Weber at 19 points
Perry at 20 points.
Drouin at 23 points.

All the 5 players I named above are all having alot of icetime and all the chance in the world to get a good look. Meanwhile KK can't get anything going for him and then we wonder why he looks like a guy who hasnt slept in the last 3 weeks on the ice.

This is the story of Jesperi Kotkaniemi since he joined as a habs. Absolutely and completely managed like absolute garbage.

The one to blames are all the management and the coaches. People who say ''but Suzuki had to play on the 4th line'' . Not all the prospects are the same. Suzuki was also older than KK when he joined the NHL.

Like I said , give him the tools to show him off or then trade him. This is absolutely ridic that Kotkaniemi always get the blame on everything. He was the least played forward again tonight against an AHL team. We decided to ice Frolik Staal and Perry more for absolutely 0 reason. We are sure to make playoffs the game had 0 impact on any outcome.

The same goes for Caufield , if you don't want him to have the best linemate and the best scenario to play him then send him back in the AHL and stop wasting his time playing him with 2 f***ing player with 0 hand at passing.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
I was grilled here for having him near the top of the draft....WeThreeKings was so dead set against him that he would t even have drafted him top 10. Of course his disciples all followed his lead in really not liking him.

How can his game translate to the NHL, he has 9 goals in college they said......well, looks like a top 2 top 3 pick now for sure.

For the record I was very happy with the KK pick but I would’ve been just as happy with Tkachuk
There was no way they would have picked Tkachuk. After the disastrous experience of Drou-Drou at center, the organization essentially only had Dunno and Poehling as natural centers going into the draft. KK was a rising prospect and deemed the best center available in most rankings.

Timmins and Bergevin are always obsessed about drafting centers and dmen (because they hold more value), i don't think Tkachuk was ever on their shortlist at #3. Tbh, I don't think Timmins would recognize talent even if it slapped him on the face so that's that.

For the record, I remember most people here wanting either KK, Boqvist, Zadina, Wahlstrom or Dobson at #3. No one wanted Tkachuk as he was deemed as having less unexploited potential than these guys. They picked KK at 3. Now, they must live with their choice and play him. I don't want to see anymore "sheltering" during the 4th year. That's so ridiculous. If Tkachuk comes in and spank the Habs everytime, so be it. I want to see what KK has got

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

Bergevin and Timmins saying we drafted a position we needed and the BPA for them and that he was a long term project
All people who cover the draft said KK going to the habs made sense but said he was a long term project

4 months after , He's rushed into the nhl , does fine . Then gets called tired for some dark reasons , starts being bad. Season 2 , 0 confidence you can tell the kid was rushed way too quickly. Decide to finally play him in the AHL where he needed some time to work on himself. Starting doing well in the AHL , covid hits season is stopped. Bubbles starting , KK had the momentum from his AHL games before covid. 1 of the best player in the bubbles by far. Starts season 3 , Finally has a good linemate in Toffoli atleast. Plays well , Does not get alot of points but does well in the physical department and gets better at faceoffs. Mid season starts to play with Plugs over and over. No more Anderson , Toffoli , Gallagher or Tatar. Then recently said in the media that he feels alone and a bit lost. Erik Staal joins , KK pushed to almost no icetime. Injuries finally hit for the habs. Line are all f***ed over. Plays with bottom 6 liners , Drouin , Byron Lekhonen , Armia , Evans.

Sits at only 20 points in 52 games with literally nobody to play around him with extra limited icetime and barely no respect from the coach.

Anderson the powerforward that does everything for us has only 24 points also. On pace for a 40 points season.
Weber at 19 points
Perry at 20 points.
Drouin at 23 points.

All the 5 players I named above are all having alot of icetime and all the chance in the world to get a good look. Meanwhile KK can't get anything going for him and then we wonder why he looks like a guy who hasnt slept in the last 3 weeks on the ice.

This is the story of Jesperi Kotkaniemi since he joined as a habs. Absolutely and completely managed like absolute garbage.

The one to blames are all the management and the coaches. People who say ''but Suzuki had to play on the 4th line'' . Not all the prospects are the same. Suzuki was also older than KK when he joined the NHL.

Like I said , give him the tools to show him off or then trade him. This is absolutely ridic that Kotkaniemi always get the blame on everything. He was the least played forward again tonight against an AHL team. We decided to ice Frolik Staal and Perry more for absolutely 0 reason. We are sure to make playoffs the game had 0 impact on any outcome.

The same goes for Caufield , if you don't want him to have the best linemate and the best scenario to play him then send him back in the AHL and stop wasting his time playing him with 2 f***ing player with 0 hand at passing.
What are you talking about. Much like chuck he has been given golden opportunities and hasn't done anything with them. Just another lazy 3rd overall draft pick like chucky. One day he might be like that superstar drouin, also a 3rd draft pick. :popcorn:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Maybe.

You're partly correct. The consensus was NOT to draft Tkachuk. But the ones pushing for KK are still defending him as the right pick. Blaming the Habs for bad development.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Some people talk loud and it makes the impression that said people know what they're talking about, so people follow them. I've fallen into that trap a couple of times. I remember not being enthusiastic about drafting Tkachuk either; and not because I had seen him play.

KK is still a very young player; I don't see a reason to panic. However, I don't like to see him getting benched, but I understand, kinda. I still can't figure out what his potential really is; like what kind of player he's supposed to become. I've seen people writing about a "Barkov-lite", but I don't see any similarity to their respective game. KK is a good passer, but can't really carry the puck; he's not a particularly fast skater; he has a heavy shot, but has a super slow release and is not particularly accurate. I can't really put my finger on what kind of offense output should be expected out of him.
You summed up this kid perfectly BTW.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
KK - 62 career points

Brady Tkachuk - 60 career goals.

Can’t believe the Habs let Brady slip throughout the their fingers. He’s everything MB talks about his team wanting to be like.

But Brady is 10 month older! :sarcasm:

Reactions: TannedBum

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The fact that Caulfield is with Danault rather than Kotkaniemi really sums up this team's developmental ineptitude well.

Always focused on winning the next regular season game, rather than building a contending core.

In a year or two the same posters shitting on Kotkaniemi may well be doing the same to Caulfield, and they'll be blasting Timmins' for wasting another pick.

"Oh my god we could have had Kerfoot !!!"

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
LOL you guys want everything from a player so fast, who cares about Brady, the obsession with him is ridiculous... we have KK .. he’s 20... let the kid breathe ... he doesn’t have to take the team by storm ... dudes still growing into his body and finding his game.
Some people just like to complain and hate on everything
I agree with you, that being said there is a ton of pressure going to be applied to KK just next season. At that point I do hope we have a coach like Joel Bouchard, who will set this kid up, for success instead of him being used as a pawn all over the board.

Reactions: DAChampion

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Weber at 19 points
Perry at 20 points.
Drouin at 23 points.

Habs have the wrong people running the show, top to bottom..................rinse and repeat.
Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad