Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
His development is going off the rails fast too.

He’s extremely young, so time is still on his side, but the team needs to give him the confidence to grow and get better. I firmly believe a stint in the AHL is in the best interest of his career at this point. Pair him up with Hudon and let him put some points on the board and feel good about himself.

He doesn’t need the AHL just for confidence. He needs it to improve as a hockey player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Domi wants 8 million/year then he can stay home.

Agreed! Nylander contract is the right number except less July bonus money. Nylander got 54% paid in July and that’s not the norm for a 2nd tier talent! If Domi wants the same bonus money, AAV goes to $6.5M

What about a 1 year deal? Risky?

Reactions: DAChampion

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If this keeps up though, he'll end up like Yakupov. Doing better with his first team, wandering with other teams that have no trust in him. Maybe a trip back home could help... I mean, Montreal.
Nice plot twist at the end.

I would like to give him a shot because he's produced more consistently offensively than Yakupov. But he's got to commit to ironing out his 200 foot game. But, i don't think MB would bring him back.

Reactions: Fixxer

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Jesperi is a hockey player who was playing well and with confidence before the vicious attack.

You and a few others seem to be fans who need to feel better about something not sure what. But obviously you will feel better if you see him put up some points in a lesser league. Wouldn't you just be better off playing video games and getting satisfaction that way?

He played well for a couple games, big deal. He’s been garbage for almost an entire calendar year now...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nice research. But during these day i was a little undecided. Loll. One day i was unhappy because our ld sucked. I wanted to select quinn hugues if i remember. Loll. So take it with a salt. The only thing i could remember is i never talked about KK because i didnt know he was a top 10

No, you didn't want Quinn Hughes. I remember having a conversation with you that year about Hughes and you agreed with me that defenders like him could be had in the 2nd round, you cited Girard, Josi and Subban as example.

Your choice was clear and it was Zadina.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
No, you didn't want Quinn Hughes. I remember having a conversation with you that year about Hughes and you agreed with me that defenders like him could be had in the 2nd round, you cited Girard, Josi and Subban as example.

Yeah close to the draft. I talk about during the year. You never know how i changed my mind during the year so you can stop supposition lol

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
We have 6.5 million in cap space and Galchenyuk's contract is up at the end of the year...
Alex also costs more than Weal in terms of goals against...
Exactly. Two new organizations are discovering how awful he is in his own zone. And how little he offers in offense considering the talent. If you want to win you stay away from guys like this. Plus because of his draft status and so called "talent" you pay more for guys like this.
I watched him play a lot in Arizona. As the season went on and the Yotes competed for that last playoff spot they cut AG's ice time. Yet they were starved for goals , they were near the bottom of the league.
This year with the Pens, 2 goals and 8 assists . Getting 12 minutes of ice time. I predicted he'd bust with the Pens and wouldn't mesh with Geno. Why? Low hockey I.Q.
Big no for me on Alex Garbage.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Search function is a hell of a drug

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Haha if he ends up point per game this year, on a brutal team, they will make a movie about us.
If he does I'm sure posters here will say it's ONLY because of the time he spent in the AHL. I mean he basically set the league on fire with 48 points in 79 games. :sarcasm:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Silly Wings, had they started him in the NHL right away he'd develop and have as many points Kotkaniemi this season.
Exactly, they did an excellent job of letting him DOMINATE the AHL. I mean he was the 6th highest scorer on the team! That's absolutely insane. Clearly those 79 games, 48 points and -26 are the ONLY reasons why he will have success in the NHL. Those are high end numbers for sure.

Reactions: 417

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Exactly, they did an excellent job of letting him DOMINATE the AHL. I mean he was the 6th highest scorer on the team! That's absolutely insane. Clearly those 79 games, 48 points and -26 are the ONLY reasons why he will have success in the NHL. Those are high end numbers for sure.

Exactly, giving him an year+ in AHL didn't give him any DEVELOPMENT. Those 79 games likely didn't give him a chance to get accustomed to N/A pro hockey at all.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Exactly, giving him an year+ in AHL didn't give him any DEVELOPMENT. Those 79 games likely didn't give him a chance to get accustomed to N/A pro hockey at all.
For sure, they HAD to call him up when he was shattering point records in the AHL due to his dominance, it simply can't be because he was a prospect drafted in the top 7 and the worst team in the league wanted to give him the chance.

Frankly, I don't think he would ever see the NHL in his career if it weren't for those 79 games.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
For those saying that playing Kotkaniemi in the nhl last season ruined his development, then do you agree that Hughes, Kakko, and Dach are all having their development ruined right now and that it will prevent them from reaching their potential?
At this point in the season last year, Kotkaniemi was having a better season than those 3.

Reactions: angusyoung

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
For those saying that playing Kotkaniemi in the nhl last season ruined his development, then do you agree that Hughes, Kakko, and Dach are all having their development ruined right now and that it will prevent them from reaching their potential?
At this point in the season last year, Kotkaniemi was having a better season than those 3.

Honestly, the biggest advantage of having our kids develop in other leagues is that they are out of sight from most of the rabid fans that see adversity as signs of busting. Our fans are......passionate.

Kid is gonna be fine. It could take 3 more years before he really gets comfortable, but judging by the tone in the threads, another rough season will spell doom for most.

Reactions: Hansman

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
For sure, they HAD to call him up when he was shattering point records in the AHL due to his dominance, it simply can't be because he was a prospect drafted in the top 7 and the worst team in the league wanted to give him the chance.

Frankly, I don't think he would ever see the NHL in his career if it weren't for those 79 games.

Wait, you think him learning to score goals as a 19-20 yo in a pro league with men isn't having an impact translating his game to the NHL ?

By the way, it seems pretty clear to me the issue is giving him space to learn. That tends to happen in the AHL.

It can in the NHL. But, if you're benching an 19 yo, not giving him leeway, calling him out in the media, how is that supposed to have a positive impact on his game ?

Reactions: DAChampion

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Jesperi is a hockey player who was playing well and with confidence before the vicious attack.

You and a few others seem to be fans who need to feel better about something not sure what. But obviously you will feel better if you see him put up some points in a lesser league. Wouldn't you just be better off playing video games and getting satisfaction that way?
Crazy how accurate this is and how it can be applied to so many cases.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

That's exactly right, Zadina was allowed to make mistakes.

You don't get to -26 without ice time.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Hughes wasn't in the NHL last year. He was in the NCAA and the Canucks didn't block him from going to the WJCs.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Wait, you think him learning to score goals as a 19-20 yo in a pro league with men isn't having an impact translating his game to the NHL ?

By the way, it seems pretty clear to me the issue is giving him space to learn. That tends to happen in the AHL.

It can in the NHL. But, if you're benching an 19 yo, not giving him leeway, calling him out in the media, how is that supposed to have a positive impact on his game ?
He didnt dominate the AHL. He was decent and nothing great. People here would say we called him up too soon. Hes a highly drafted prospect getting the chance, and if he ends up being better than KK, I seriously doubt it will be because of a meh performance in the AHL. Just like how the extra half season in junior with Morgan Reilly isnt the reason why he is so much better than Galchenyuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad