Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Any news on his status?

This. By inference. If they're not looking to place KK on IR, then it tells you something about how the injury is progressing or what its initial gravity may have been.

Is consistent what had been earlier reported by Arpon Basu:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I’d send this kid to the AHL and let him put his confidence back together. The organization did it with Pacioretty and that was the best outcome we could’ve asked for.

Playing the third line with bargain bin specials isn’t going to do his confidence any good, especially with Dautrieve throwing him under the bus all the time.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I’d send this kid to the AHL and let him put his confidence back together. The organization did it with Pacioretty and that was the best outcome we could’ve asked for.

Playing the third line with bargain bin specials isn’t going to do his confidence any good, especially with Dautrieve throwing him under the bus all the time.
His last few games were with Armia and Lehkonen and they did well, created chances.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Reactions: Roadhouse

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

If Kokta goes way of Galchenyuk makes 17 drafts and Timmins never got a center. Passed on many good ones. ROR, Giroux, Bergeron, Getzlaf to name a few.

Reactions: 1909

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If Kokta goes way of Galchenyuk makes 17 drafts and Timmins never got a center. Passed on many good ones. ROR, Giroux, Bergeron, Getzlaf to name a few.
Why in heck would you think that? KK is miles ahead of Galchenyuk in hockey IQ and vision/passing.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

I agree and well said!

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I thought he was just starting to find his game again while playing the the Finns. Brutal timing for him to suffer an injury like this.

Hopefully he recovers well and isn't too far behind when he comes back.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Its crazy how ten month birthday date between him and Tkachuk is huge. I think i would take Tkachuk 3 years older than Kotkaniemi at draft day

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If I had the choice between KK and Tkachuk, I still take KK without hesitation
Tkachuk is better right now, but that was expected since he's much more physically developed, plays a simpler game, and is basically a year older.
Tkachuk will likely end up a gritty 60 pt winger, but KK could end up an elite center who's great defensively, which is far more valuable.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
If I had the choice between KK and Tkachuk, I still take KK without hesitation
Tkachuk is better right now, but that was expected since he's much more physically developed, plays a simpler game, and is basically a year older.
Tkachuk will likely end up a gritty 60 pt winger, but KK could end up an elite center who's great defensively, which is far more valuable.

I prefer Tkachuk. I understand why they picked kk and I see a lot of positives/potential but I’m not sure he will be elite or a number 1 center. I think he might top out as a number 2, hope I’m wrong. A solid number 2 would be great. He’s just a kid, lots of time to figure it out.

Main reason I like Tkachuk is his combination of grit/skill. Reminds me of Gally and Max.

Last edited:

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
We are a better team with Tkachuk, or a few others such as Hughes, Dobson etc. It was a botched first round, yet again, by the wonderful crew at the CH.

Today, it's easy being an arm chair quarterback...but you forget that everybody was clamoring for a big,talented centerman to be drafted by the Habs.
For now, let JK develop into possibly an elite level player in the NHL....For now, it's way too early to claim if the JK pick was a success or a failure.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Today, it's easy being an arm chair quarterback...but you forget that everybody was clamoring for a big,talented centerman to be drafted by the Habs.
For now, let JK develop into possibly an elite level player in the NHL....For now, it's way too early to claim if the JK pick was a success or a failure.

No this team needed some jam and grit, some young character, no matter what the position. JK had a ton of question marks going into the draft, only a few homers here had a hatred on for Tkachuk.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
No this team needed some jam and grit, some young character, no matter what the position. JK had a ton of question marks going into the draft, only a few homers here had a hatred on for Tkachuk.

Sorry, but I beg to differ....90 % of the fans and people on this board wanted Kotkinemi.....the need for a talented big centre....as I remember, the second person considered was Zadina because of his goalscoring ability....which was also a need for the Habs.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Sorry, but I beg to differ....90 % of the fans and people on this board wanted Kotkinemi.....the need for a talented big centre....as I remember, the second person considered was Zadina because of his goalscoring ability....which was also a need for the Habs.

Nope. Do you not remember how many wanted Hughes or Dobson? More people here get it right every year, than our scouting staff. Not anywhere near 90%. Tkachuk had a lot of fans on this board, and the haters are the same ones trashing Weber and Chiarot all year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nope. Do you not remember how many wanted Hughes or Dobson? More people here get it right every year, than our scouting staff. Not anywhere near 90%. Tkachuk had a lot of fans on this board, and the haters are the same ones trashing Weber and Chiarot all year.

I would of had no problem with either of Kotkaniemi, Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist. They were all minuscule differences in terms of BPA with the 3rd pick.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

I have no idea why what people here thought of this or that draft pick is relevant to how or why head scouts go in one or another direction.

When we picked Price, I was upset. Tons of people were. In the end, it was a great pick. So for the sake of the team's success...what's preferable? That we are wrong, look bad, but Timmins pick the right guy in the end? Or that we pick the wrong guy but because we were also wrong, it soften the blow? Are people here discussing the team so that the team becomes better? Or is it an ego battle between 2 sets of fans with the only purpose to make 1 set look stupid? You really believe that the success of this team is secondary for some people (not talking about you here)

P.S. I didn't have a hatred for Tkachuk. I had question marks about his scoring abilities as if you are looking for a power forward, it has to be because you think he could score 25-30. I thought there was a huge risk he wouldn't and that at no3, we needed a homerun type of pick.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012

Dobson and Hughes were barely mentioned....I remember Pierre McGuire thought the Habs should pick Tkachuk.... most on this board thought he didn't skate well enough and didn't have enough high end skill.
Regarding, Weber...I was happy for the trade.... many on this board vehemently criticized Bergevin for the move....and I defended the move....
As well, I liked the Ben Chiarot signing though most on this board claimed it was a nothing move.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I have no idea why what people here thought of this or that draft pick is relevant to how or why head scouts go in one or another direction.

When we picked Price, I was upset. Tons of people were. In the end, it was a great pick. So for the sake of the team's success...what's preferable? That we are wrong, look bad, but Timmins pick the right guy in the end? Or that we pick the wrong guy but because we were also wrong, it soften the blow? Are people here discussing the team so that the team becomes better? Or is it an ego battle between 2 sets of fans with the only purpose to make 1 set look stupid? You really believe that the success of this team is secondary for some people (not talking about you here)

P.S. I didn't have a hatred for Tkachuk. I had question marks about his scoring abilities as if you are looking for a power forward, it has to be because you think he could score 25-30. I thought there was a huge risk he wouldn't and that at no3, we needed a homerun type of pick.

This teams draft/development history is one disaster after another, so when you get the 3rd overall pick you better get it right, or you'll set yourself back years. How many excuses will the team have for not getting the draft right? Preferably you draft the player which makes your team better for years down the road, knowing you have to retool at all positions, not just one. Given the choices at #3, there were a lot of questions taking JK that high. The fact they were so adamant about taking him no matter what, is a bigger concern. They forgot about the holes on the blueline, and the wing, and just assumed we had holes down the middle.

Where do you find a C if you don't draft them? Make a balsey move like Nashville / Columbus did. Free Agency. How many people here said 'O'reilly sucks we don't want him or that contract'? But here we are moving wingers to the middle, having to endure players like Domi, Weal, Cousins, Thompson, Peca, instead of just going for a true #1 C.

I firmly believe the franchise has no game-plan at all, no idea how to retool/rebuild, and that's a bigger problem than the draft. If we had some decent talent down the middle for JK to learn from, I suspect he's a different player today. If he was in the AHL, I also think he's a better player for it. It brings up so many questions about the moronic decisions this team makes, I really am not sure Mc David would surpass 55 pts in this garbage pile, because he'd be surrounded by smurfs waiver wire castoffs and a disgusting dump and chase system designed to save jobs in management.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dobson and Hughes were barely mentioned....I remember Pierre McGuire thought the Habs should pick Tkachuk.... most on this board thought he didn't skate well enough and didn't have enough high end skill.
Regarding, Weber...I was happy for the trade.... many on this board vehemently criticized Bergevin for the move....and I defended the move....
As well, I liked the Ben Chiarot signing though most on this board claimed it was a nothing move.

I remember the comments made towards Tkachuk. There are a lot of people hiding on those comments they made pre-draft. They called Tkachuk a typical Bergevin bait hook. That's what you get for hating and exaggerating things to prove your points.

I was sold on Tkachuk at the WJC. He passed my eye test. But some said, don't overvalue a small tournament :laugh:

As far as Chiarot, I was ok with the signing but would of preferred a 2 year term. Today, I'm more content with the 3rd year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad