Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part 11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ok sure. It's nice if that happened and I'm all for positive reinforcement. But, I dont think this is the game where I'd complain about his ice time. He didn't show up to play until the third, after being benched. I'm not for rewarding bad habits for a 19 year old either. I'n not talking about mistakes here, they're bound to happen, I'm talking about things that are well within a players control like effort level.
Im not for it either, its the coachs job to get that accross and playing 5 minutes in two periods is never the right move.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Not even disputing that, but he plaued 2 minutes in the first and 2 in the second... cant prove much with that icetime.
I checked the TOI after the first period (couldn't catch the game) and he had some of the most play time of all the forwards...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I checked the TOI after the first period (couldn't catch the game) and he had some of the most play time of all the forwards...
I didnt, if thats true, he didnt play a second in the 2nd period because he played 11 minutes tonight and was at like 6 something to start the 3rd.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Are you really gonna put KK out for big draws right now? The fact he’s

A) playing with talent
B) on the PP

Is excellent development.

Reactions: Redux91

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He was on the JD/Weber unit today...
He played 1:29 on the PP tonight, a minute less than Drouin. Out of everyone used on the PP tonight, he was the least used.
That's all the PP time he's had all year btw. So ya...having two shifts on the PP the entire season thus far doesn't quite qualify as a fact that he's ''playing the PP''. He has had two shifts on the PP in 5 games.

And yes, I would give him big draws...why the f*** not. He's played a year already, he got bigger, he's talented and a smart player...why not give him more responsibilities?

He's not Peter Forsberg, nowhere near it, but after a good start in his rookie year, he went through a rough stretch for 10 games or so. Crawford called him into his office and asked him ''what the f*** are you doing?'', followed that up by telling him he wasn't going to bench or scratch him so just play the game. Forsberg bounced out of it right after and over the next 40-50 gp he averaged over 1ppg.

Again, KK ain't Forsberg, but for f*** sake, show that you trust and believe in the kid. Send him out there, a lot. Let him play, learn from mistake, and grow.

Reactions: Mrb1p

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Are you really gonna put KK out for big draws right now?
Sure. Big draws are overrated, they're just one of dozens of possession events in any given shift. If it's 5 seconds left then sure throw out the best faceoff guy but even a big draw with 45s left the faceoff itself is just one event of dozens of possession changes (and potential possession changes, i.e. all the times the better player would make a play while Thompson stands in front of the net to block shots).

We're talking about ~45% for Kotkaniemi vs 52% for Thompson. 7 faceoffs in 100 tries. There's no way that makes up for Kotkaniemi being dramatically better at everything else.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He played 1:29 only Thompson, Lekh and Byron had les PP TOI... (Zero.)
Before today he wasn’t being used on the PP. he was given PP time tonight. That’s moving in the right direction. I know you just want to make him our 1C already, but he ain’t there yet.

Reactions: angusyoung

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I thought there was some moments that demonstrated his added size where he muscled through a defender to free his stick and feed a linemate. He's using his body so well I'm very excited to see what his statline is at the end of the year.

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I thought there was some moments that demonstrated his added size where he muscled through a defender to free his stick and feed a linemate. He's using his body so well I'm very excited to see what his statline is at the end of the year.

He also had that amazing pass to spring Armia on that breakaway , I reeeeaaalllly like that line

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Before today he wasn’t being used on the PP. he was given PP time tonight. That’s moving in the right direction. I know you just want to make him our 1C already, but he ain’t there yet.
lets see if it happens again before saying that will ya...

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He also had that amazing pass to spring Armia on that breakaway , I reeeeaaalllly like that line
Yeah that's definitely one of the moments I'm talking about. Last year he relied on pure skill having a long reach and being skinny and slippery to get space. He's now able to attack in different ways and given his IQ and skill he just keeps adding to the tool belt. If he's at the very least good enough to be a 2C this year and we can get Domi some help this team could be fun.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Only if it continues and those are some extreme baby steps.
Remember how Patches seemed to struggle in Mtl to find his rhythm and publicly said he'd rather stay in the AHL to develop his game with a ton of opportunities instead of being used on bottom lines with limited ice/opps in Mtl?
They listened and he got top 6 min in Mtl, and finally looked much better.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
After 5 games Time On Ice (average)

1- Danault 18:34
2- Gallagher 17:21
3- Tatar 16:58
4- Domi 16:43
5- Drouin 16:27
6- Armia 15:51
7- Lekhonen 14:40
8- Suzuki 14:29
9- Thompson 13:38
10- Byron 13:34
11- Weal 13:16
12- Kotkaniemi 13:09

Seriously what the f*** is wrong with Julien? Kotkaniemi been pretty good since the season started. He barely gets time. How is he playing less than the entire 4 line and Suzuki? When His 2 linemates are at 16:27 and 15:51 .

What did he do wrong? Seriously im seriously wondering if Julien wants him in his lineup and this is sad.

Hes been better than Weal , Byron , Thompson , Suzuki , Lekhonen and probably even Danault.

Seriously i feel like habs cant trust young players. Hes never on PK , gets like 15sec of PP when the PP goes to shit. I know that Julien dont want to move up danault from tatar/gally , or move up Domi to wings but Why cant he just have more icetime and PP time? How is he going to get better and be a first liner if he cant express himself.

I know hes 19 , and hes maybe not ready , but can we play him atleast 15min average instead of 13?

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
After 5 games Time On Ice (average)

1- Danault 18:34
2- Gallagher 17:21
3- Tatar 16:58
4- Domi 16:43
5- Drouin 16:27
6- Armia 15:51
7- Lekhonen 14:40
8- Suzuki 14:29
9- Thompson 13:38
10- Byron 13:34
11- Weal 13:16
12- Kotkaniemi 13:09

Seriously what the **** is wrong with Julien? Kotkaniemi been pretty good since the season started. He barely gets time. How is he playing less than the entire 4 line and Suzuki? When His 2 linemates are at 16:27 and 15:51 .

What did he do wrong? Seriously im seriously wondering if Julien wants him in his lineup and this is sad.

Hes been better than Weal , Byron , Thompson , Suzuki , Lekhonen and probably even Danault.

Seriously i feel like habs cant trust young players. Hes never on PK , gets like 15sec of PP when the PP goes to ****. I know that Julien dont want to move up danault from tatar/gally , or move up Domi to wings but Why cant he just have more icetime and PP time? How is he going to get better and be a first liner if he cant express himself.

I know hes 19 , and hes maybe not ready , but can we play him atleast 15min average instead of 13?

KK is not getting minutes anytime soon on the PK,and he shouldn't,others are ahead of him,same as the PP for the time being.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Was he brutal or did he just lack ice time? He had 5 minutes of toi going in the third. Kinda hard to do good thing with that type of TOI.
KK is getting the ice time he deserves. If you want him to get more ice time, then pray he ups his game or management sends him to Laval.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
KK is not getting minutes anytime soon on the PK,and he shouldn't,others are ahead of him,same as the PP for the time being.

Our pk is last overall. Put the kid out. His reach & hockey sense alone would be helpful.

Definitely think Habs should work him onto the pk this year.

Reactions: Canadienna

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
The kid is still just 19. He is adjusting to his body right now et he had an horrific camp. Let him earn his minutes.

That being said, i think with the wrister hes got, he would be a perfect candidate on the first pp unit. I'm from the school of thought you should put all your talent on the first pp unit. For me, first PP should be a combination of Weber, Drouin, Domi, Tatar, KK, Suzuki, Gallagher, Petry.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The kid is still just 19. He is adjusting to his body right now et he had an horrific camp. Let him earn his minutes.

That being said, i think with the wrister hes got, he would be a perfect candidate on the first pp unit. I'm from the school of thought you should put all your talent on the first pp unit. For me, first PP should be a combination of Weber, Drouin, Domi, Tatar, KK, Suzuki, Gallagher, Petry.

If you want to increase a young players offensive confidence.. you put him on the Powerplay unit.. there's less pressure, there's more space and you are, generally, playing with the most talented players on your team.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Our pk is last overall. Put the kid out. His reach & hockey sense alone would be helpful.

Definitely think Habs should work him onto the pk this year.

I certainly agree that he should get worked in during the season,season just began though. He's Behind PD and NT at C for that role currently. If he's plays ahead of NT might as well get rid of Nate. Habs still need a big body like Nate though and no one is ready to assume that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad