Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part 11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Hes been one of the best player for the Habs for the first five games...
You are obviously not buying your weed from govt dispensers. He has been playing with two of the best players on the Habs this season and he has been the weakest link on that line. He has also been one of the worst players. Almost as bad as Suzuki.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
KK is getting the ice time he deserves. If you want him to get more ice time, then pray he ups his game or management sends him to Laval.
How much do you think ice time factors into his game?

Do you think it's a coincidence that his best game this year was also the game he played the most?

I always find it odd when people expect offensive players to look good with limited ice time.

Relatively speaking ..he's done about as well as he could do for the ice time he's getting

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
This thread is nauseating.

He is doing well and is progressing nicely as one of the 10 youngest players in the league. Why is there always something to bawl about with some of you? If he was better on faceoffs he would get even more time but like most kids he is terrible at it. He will improve and his ice time will increase, now wipe your tears, take a breath and calm down people.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I thought there was some moments that demonstrated his added size where he muscled through a defender to free his stick and feed a linemate. He's using his body so well I'm very excited to see what his statline is at the end of the year.
Agreed, I thought he looked great last night. There were two or three sequences where he really showed his creativity.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
This thread is nauseating.

He is doing well and is progressing nicely as one of the 10 youngest players in the league. Why is there always something to bawl about with some of you? If he was better on faceoffs he would get even more time but like most kids he is terrible at it. He will improve and his ice time will increase, now wipe your tears, take a breath and calm down people.

lol yea I'm kind of getting to the end of my rope here hahaha. It's just bizarre tin foil hat stuff that Julien's more or less actively sabotaging 'young players' meanwhile Suzuki started in the top 6, Mete's been on a top pairing forever but yet somehow KK getting eased into playing time is Therrien with Galchenyuk and has to be and it could be no other way or your a sheep for thinking so lol.

There's great nuggets on here but mostly the posts are kind of crazy.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
lol yea I'm kind of getting to the end of my rope here hahaha. It's just bizarre tin foil hat stuff that Julien's more or less actively sabotaging 'young players' meanwhile Suzuki started in the top 6, Mete's been on a top pairing forever but yet somehow KK getting eased into playing time is Therrien with Galchenyuk and has to be and it could be no other way or your a sheep for thinking so lol.

There's great nuggets on here but mostly the posts are kind of crazy.
Why is Kotkaniemi not getting those ? What is he saying that is different than Suzuki, Mete and Danault ? Why is Kotkaniemi actively getting 10 minutes a game while the others get a lot of responsibilities?

Do you disagree that he's the least used forward on the team (Or 2nd least, Im not sure where he ranks with Weal, don't feel like looking.) ? Why is he used like this ? Why is Kotkaniemi treated differently ? Is it because he's a center ? Because Julien trusted Danault right away with Pacioretty and Radulov at 23. Is it just based on age ? Why did Mete play 18 minutes a night at 19 then? Its clearly not about being a rookie, as hes getting the same (Id say worst.) treatment he got last year.

Kotkas usage makes no sense.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
You are obviously not buying your weed from govt dispensers. He has been playing with two of the best players on the Habs this season and he has been the weakest link on that line. He has also been one of the worst players. Almost as bad as Suzuki.
Not sure if sarcasm or just dumb remarks. Can't beat real , I can name 12players worst than kotka this season

Shameless

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Not sure if sarcasm or just dumb remarks. Can't beat real , I can name 12players worst than kotka this season

Shameless

it's amazing the lengths some posters will go to try and justify a previously held take... completely ignoring what actually happens on the ice and instead repeating the same tired excuses & justifications over and over again.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
How much do you think ice time factors into his game?

Do you think it's a coincidence that his best game this year was also the game he played the most?

I always find it odd when people expect offensive players to look good with limited ice time.

Relatively speaking ..he's done about as well as he could do for the ice time he's getting

Can you make that same argument for Suzuki? He's an obvious offensive player, why aren't you complaining about his ice time? His play has been pretty meh, could it be related to his linemates and ice time? Maybe he needs more ice time also.

KK has started the season with two of the most productive players so far and has looked almost as bad as Suzuki. Domi is saddled with Lekhy and Weal yet he is producing on a ppg clip. Every player has a lame excuse to not produce.

I said it last year and I'll say it again, I don't see this high offensive side that a lot of posters are claiming KK possesses. At best he'll level off as a #2 C and right now he's playing in the #3 spot. He doesn't deserve any more ice time.

And to be quite frank, I would send KK and Suzuki to Laval. I really think the Habs are screwing up their development.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Can you make that same argument for Suzuki? He's an obvious offensive player, why aren't you complaining about his ice time? His play has been pretty meh, could it be related to his linemates and ice time? Maybe he needs more ice time also.

KK has started the season with two of the most productive players so far and has looked almost as bad as Suzuki. Domi is saddled with Lekhy and Weal yet he is producing. Every player has a lame excuse to not produce.

I said it last year and I'll say it again, I don't see this high offensive side that a lot of posters are claiming KK possesses. At best he'll level off as a #2 C and right now he's playing in the #3. He doesn't deserve any more ice time.

And to be quite frank, I would send KK and Suzuki to Laval. I really think the Habs are screwing up their development.
Suzuki is playing a full minute and half more than Kotkaniemi, and like 2 minutes on the PP per-game and he's significantly worse and a rookie.

Kotkaniemi has been on of the Habs best player, Danault had been absolute shit in the past four games, Tatar has done nothing, Weal is and will always be bad, Thompson is terrible, Byron is inefective, etc. Yet they all play a lot of minutes. Why is only Kotkaniemi accountable for his ice-time ?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Suzuki is playing a full minute and half more than Kotkaniemi, and like 2 minutes on the PP per-game and he's significantly worse and a rookie.

Kotkaniemi has been on of the Habs best player, Danault had been absolute **** in the past four games, Tatar has done nothing, Weal is and will always be bad, Thompson is terrible, Byron is inefective, etc. Yet they all play a lot of minutes. Why is only Kotkaniemi accountable for his ice-time ?
Because you have just proven yourself to not be an objective evaluator of NHL players. You watch hockey games with an agenda.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Nah, he won't be as ****ty on the powerplay as Kotkaniemi was last year. With his shot, he'll score goals out there immediately, so he will never get stripped of PP time and in need to prove anything.
Kotkaniemi was not crappy on the right half-wall. He was crappy on the left point.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
He has the lowest TOI/GP of any forward on the team. That makes no sense at all. He's 6th on the team in +/- and Thompson and Weal are second last and last respectively...

If you never give him responsibility he'll never learn to handle it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This thread isn't about Suzuki. So not sure why I would discuss his game in this thread, unless prompted of course.

KK has started the season with two of the most productive players so far and has looked almost as bad as Suzuki. Domi is saddled with Lekhy and Weal yet he is producing on a ppg clip. Every player has a lame excuse to not produce.
I don't agree at all with the bolded.

I've not been impressed by Suzuki outside a few shifts here and there but I find your evaluation of KK's game completely off.

I said it last year and I'll say it again, I don't see this high offensive side that a lot of posters are claiming KK possesses. At best he'll level off as a #2 C and right now he's playing in the #3 spot. He doesn't deserve any more ice time.

Maybe for Suzuki...but for KK I find that ridiculous with all due respect.

Reactions: MonkeyBusiness

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I've not been impressed by Suzuki outside a few shifts here and there but I find your evaluation of KK's game completely off.
Same here. I don't agree with your criticism of Julien when it comes to Kotkaniemi's deployment, but he's been fine so far. He's more effective in puck battles, doesn't fall nearly as often and is better at protecting and distributing the puck. That's basically all I had hoped for before this season. The only thing I detest is that he's getting a Galchenyuk treatment from the portion of the fanbase, meaning they bend over themselves trying to find excuses when the kid does something wrong. But that's not on the player.
Suzuki, on the other hand, is making a great impersonation of Byron Froese out there.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kotkaniemi was not crappy on the right half-wall. He was crappy on the left point.

I think KK is a future stud on the right half-wall. I was calling for him to get a shot all year last year. But when he finally did, he scored a couple times, but otherwise turned the puck over. In addition to having good vision and a good shot, it's just as important in today's game to move the puck lightning quick, as defenses put a lot of pressure. When KK was pressured, he turned it over far too often, and thus was neutralized.

It's one of the reasons Danault, Armia, and Weal were so successful: they move the puck very quickly. They barely stick handle. It's on their stick and off it an instant later, which doesn't allow the defense or goalie to get set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad