Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part 11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Kotkaniemi's TOI has been steadily going up since the last three games. Good to see Clod finally trusting him more

Since the Habs got a bit of home games coming, they should try to experiment a bit with their lines. Right now the 2nd line is really lacking. I'd try something like that:

Drouin-Danault-Armia
Domi-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Tatar-Suzuki-Lehkonen
Byron-Thomson-Weal

Ideally I'd want both Domi and KK playing center, but doing so would leave one of them with less offensively gifted linemates (as of now). Suzuki at 3C is a big risk though...

Kotkaniemi as of now is already too good a player to be wasted with low ice time and lesser skilled teammates. The first line here keeps the hot duo together; we have two forechecking forwards with the creative winger. They are also all over 6' which has to be a miracle on this team

The second line has the best goalscorer and the point leader together with KK. That line would actually provide firepower. It would also allow Kotkaniemi to grow his offensive instincts by playing with talented wingers

The 3rd one is meh and the 4th is unchanged

Reactions: NotProkofievian

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Kotkaniemi's TOI has been steadily going up since the last three games. Good to see Clod finally trusting him more

Since the Habs got a bit of home games coming, they should try to experiment a bit with their lines. Right now the 2nd line is really lacking. I'd try something like that:

Drouin-Danault-Armia
Tatar-Suzuki-Lehkonen
Byron-Thomson-Weal

Ideally I'd want both Domi and KK playing center, but doing so would leave one of them with less offensively gifted linemates (as of now). Suzuki at 3C is a big risk though...

Kotkaniemi as of now is already too good a player to be wasted with low ice time and lesser skilled teammates. The first line here keeps the hot duo together; we have two forechecking forwards with the creative winger. They are also all over 6' which has to be a miracle on this team

The second line has the best goalscorer and the point leader together with KK. That line would actually provide firepower. It would also allow Kotkaniemi to grow his offensive instincts by playing with talented wingers

I like to avoid "meh", and it starts with strong centremen

16-18 min Tatar-Domi-Gallagher
15-17 min Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Armia
14-16 min Lehkonen-Danault-Suzuki
10-12 min Cousins/Byron-Thompson-Weal/Byron

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
That's pretty good too and better balanced than what I proposed, but I think there's no way in hell Julien doesn't play Danault as the first center

He really likes his boy Philip

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That's pretty good too and better balanced than what I proposed, but I think there's no way in hell Julien doesn't play Danault as the first center

He really likes his boy Philip
Well, my 14-16 was really 14 for Lehk and Suzuki and 16 for Danault. But you could squeeze a minute or two more for him at the end of a period, for key draws, etc. if he is "on" that night.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
You're either pulling my leg or we have different definitions of creativity. I think it's the latter. KK has shown little to no creativity while on the Habs. That doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have any. It could mean he's in over his head and it's taking all his effort to stay afloat and doesn't have any effort left over to display this creativity that you rave about.

KK is one of the absolute most creative players on the team, probably only behind Domi. Creativity has never been the problem for him, the issue really is his skating, as we always knew since he was drafted.

Reactions: HabsMD97 and Mrb1p

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
KK got a new body guys... The time to adapt permanently to it isn't that easy... It's demanding...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Drouin-Danault-Armia
Tatar-Suzuki-Lehkonen
Byron-Thomson-Weal

And he plays 10 minutes tonight

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
didn't have the best start but was great in the 3rd, again finishes with lowest TOI, almost 2 full minutes less than 2nd last. The man gets hooked and interfered with every shift yet still completes plays, imagine how much better he's gonna be with 15-20 more pounds jeez

Also can Julien PLEASE stop playing his line every f***ing shift with the 3rd d pairing, it's getting infuriating.

Reactions: ChikN and Mrb1p

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I like what i saw. Was better along the board and not often the ass on the ice. Nice pass and long reach. He just need more TOI imo

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Havent watched the game, right? He made the Blues his ***** in the third.

He was very good in the third, he woke up after skipping his turn. And he needed to, because he was brutal the first two periods.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He was very good in the third, he woke up after skipping his turn. And he needed to, because he was brutal the first two periods.
Was he brutal or did he just lack ice time? He had 5 minutes of toi going in the third. Kinda hard to do good thing with that type of TOI.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Come on man, five minutes in a forty minutes game. How brutal can he be ? He touched the puck two times or something.

I get what youre trying to do, he just needs to be better, but five minutes. Five!

He had a great third and I agree with you, he barely touched the ice for the first two periods so you're not able to really do much.

My only critique is that he needs to hit the blue-line with more speed; he's been throwing his line mates off side or getting pinched off on zone entries because he tries to slow the play down before he gains the zone. Gotta back off the defenders then do that.. he doesn't have the problem when he comes through the middle, but if he comes up the boards, it's pretty consistent.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Come on man, five minutes in a forty minutes game. How brutal can he be ? He touched the puck two times or something.

I get what youre trying to do, he just needs to be better, but five minutes. Five!

I thought he looked awful from his first shift. His positioning was off, he wasnt engaged, he was killing plays all over. I dont mind that he gets reduced ice time when his heads not in it, part of developing is learning consistency. I do mind if he's playing well (last game for example) and not getting PP time, or if hes benched for a mistake. But, he needs to be engaged.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I thought he looked awful from his first shift. His positioning was off, he wasnt engaged, he was killing plays all over. I dont mind that he gets reduced ice time when his heads not in it, part of developing is learning consistency. I do mind if he's playing well (last game for example) and not getting PP time, or if hes benched for a mistake. But, he needs to be engaged.
Id rather that Ducharme calmed him down then sent him back in with confidence than stapling a player to the bench.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Was he brutal or did he just lack ice time? He had 5 minutes of toi going in the third. Kinda hard to do good thing with that type of TOI.
He was not very good in the first two for sure. He wasn't moving his feet. Then, he gained confidence.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Id rather that Ducharme calmed him down then sent him back in with confidence than stapling a player to the bench.

Ok sure. It's nice if that happened and I'm all for positive reinforcement. But, I dont think this is the game where I'd complain about his ice time. He didn't show up to play until the third, after being benched. I'm not for rewarding bad habits for a 19 year old either. I'n not talking about mistakes here, they're bound to happen, I'm talking about things that are well within a players control like effort level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad