Post-Game Talk: Jesperi Kotkaniemi finally smiles as he scores 2! Habs win 6-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Sorry but Danault does way more that Poehling does on his current team...I cheer for the guys but this Danault on the 4th line **** has to stop.
Domi will eventually return to the wing, IMO. Suzuki, in the system, will likely also make his mark as a creative, scoring RW. Olofsson might eventually become the 4th line C.

The 2nd and 3rd lines on this team could likely become interchangeable with both Danault and Poehling being capable two-way Cs with offensive upside.

A future 2nd/3rd line of Tatar - Danault - Gallagher as a veteran, every-situation line is likely to remain united, IMO.

Domi - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Drouin - Poehling - Lehkonen
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Hudon - Olofsson - Byron

Scherbak, Ylonen, Armia, Shaw, Peca, Deslauriers.

With this roster and other young players not yet drafted pushing up the system soon enough, some forwards will likely be traded, waived, etc. to make room for better youngsters.

The question is determining who really has the fine balance of being valuable while being replaceable because there are too many similar players already on the system.

A forward/forwards can/should be used to shore up the D, especially on the left side, IMO. Doesn't have to be this year, as the season should be one of experiments designed to acquire data on players already in the system, given that expectations aren't yet that high for the team, despite the early positive start to the season...

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
You don't understand hockey that's pretty clear.

That line is killing it out there at even strength! And Danault is playing a big role on that line. Yes, he's not flashy and will not make some crazy passes or amazing dekes but he's extremely solid all over the ice and has enough skill to be able to make the line generate offense!
They are generating offense despite him. He’s far from being extremely solid offensively. Ask Radulov if Danault has any business in the top 6.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
They are generating offense despite him. He’s far from being extremely solid offensively. Ask Radulov if Danault has any business in the top 6.
Dude! You just can't appreciate or see the game away from the puck, it's clear as day!

Danault makes a ton of those right plays that coaches talk about all the time.

He rarely makes any mistakes, he's a beast on the boards, he reads the play really well, his positioning is top notch and so on...

He didn't get that first line center position by hazard!

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Dude! You just can't appreciate or see the game away from the puck, it's clear as day!

Danault makes a ton of those right plays that coaches talk about all the time.

He rarely makes any mistakes, he's a beast on the boards, he reads the play really well, his positioning is top notch and so on...

He didn't get that first line center position by hazard!

He got that first line position because there was literally no one else. What were the options? Desharnais/Plekanec? I didn’t list Galchenyuk because we’d rather play a winger with no center aptitude whatsoever over him for an entire season. That being said, I like Danault because he is responsible but if he’s in your top 6, it’s because you have a serious depth problem at the position.

Reactions: groovejuice

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He got that first line position because there was literally no one else. What were the options? Desharnais/Plekanec? I didn’t list Galchenyuk because we’d rather play a winger with no center aptitude whatsoever over him for an entire season. That being said, I like Danault because he is responsible but if he’s in your top 6, it’s because you have a serious depth problem at the position.
I don't think he's a #1 center because he indeed lacks the pure offensive skill but I honestly have no problem with him as a #2.

If we can push him into the #3 spot this team will be stacked at center!

cali514

Sep 12, 2007
Lehkonen / Kotkaniemi / Gallagher Drouin / Domi / Suzuki Poehling / Danault / Hudon is an awesome top-9 considering the upside some of these guys have showed[/QUOTE said:
I'd switch Gallagher and Suzuki

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I don't know about that. Not a great night for Drouin, who I think plays better with a Gallagher or Lehkonen on his line. He needs a board guy.

Hudon can create plays by himself, which is why he actually works well with Plekanec. I can see him working well with Danault too.

I'd switch Kotka and Danault, keep Lehkonen on the Double D line and Hudon with Danault and Armia til Byron comes back. Then to the 4th with Plekanec. He gives us some offensive depth, which is nice.
It’ll be interesting to see how we shuffle it up. Domi and Drouin are a combo, as are Tatar and Gallagher, then we got the Fins on the 3rd line. I think Hudon can work as much as anyone on that Domi/Drouin line but ideally we’d have a Tkachuk type with them but we just don’t have that type of player in the system.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I wonder how many realize that the Leafs have had two straight seasons of making the playoffs and losing in the first round. Some of the wise men around here, if they were consistent, would suggest they try to tank this year.
If Leafs lose again in the 1st round this year that Babcock guy should be FIRREEED!!!!

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Them Leafs.......the bigger they are the harder they fall.......and when they do, I will be licking my chops and doing this..........

giphy.gif

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Unsung hero of the game was Mete. Just a fantastic game from him tonight. Keep playing like that and he'll be racking up the points.
Looks like his confidence is rising. I noticed him joining the play a lot more than usual. Once he becomes totally comfortable doing that, the points should start coming for him.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You don't understand hockey that's pretty clear.

That line is killing it out there at even strength! And Danault is playing a big role on that line. Yes, he's not flashy and will not make some crazy passes or amazing dekes but he's extremely solid all over the ice and has enough skill to be able to make the line generate offense!

Danault is used on 5-on-5 and PK only. Seems ok to me, with Domi and Kotka on the PP.

Reactions: jaffy27

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Looks like his confidence is rising. I noticed him joining the play a lot more than usual. Once he becomes totally comfortable doing that, the points should start coming for him.
He's incredibly good at that. He may not have many points but I remember multiple goals that stemmed from him skating the puck in the offensive zone. If he could just develop a decent shot, he'd be a force.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The leafs were supposed to go 75-5 , with Tavares. They forgot about fixing that awful blueline and injuries though, and a suspect goalie.

You mean 77-5 then 16-2......

Ya, but Button felt like Matthews could score every game and Leafs Nation bought it and doubled down on it :laugh:

Reactions: Habs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He's one of the worst GMs in the league.

Good summer though.

The problem is that Bergevin is just reactionary. Little long-term vision. So I don't have a lot of confidence he will stay the course and not be distracted into yet a new approach.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The problem is that Bergevin is just reactionary. Little long-term vision. So I don't have a lot of confidence he will stay the course and not be distracted into yet a new approach.
How is the long term vision compromised when most of our core is 25 or less and we have the likes of Poehling, Brook, Romanov, Ylonen, Suzuki, Fleury, Primeau and 9 picks this draft coming our way??

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
How is the long term vision compromised when most of our core is 25 or less and we have the likes of Poehling, Brook, Romanov, Ylonen, Suzuki, Fleury, Primeau and 9 picks this draft coming our way??
Gotta say the Habs future is looking very good. The team is super young and they have one of the best prospect pools in the league with the center position being especially deep. If they can get a gem or two this draft then watch out.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Danault is used on 5-on-5 and PK only. Seems ok to me, with Domi and Kotka on the PP.

Exactly! And he's doing a great job. The hate is ridiculous...

Come on man! Not signing a 39-year-old Markov and a 31-year-old Radulov to a long-term deal equals to compromising the future! Get with the program FFS!

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Gotta say the Habs future is looking very good. The team is super young and they have one of the best prospect pools in the league with the center position being especially deep. If they can get a gem or two this draft then watch out.
If they can hit on a few gems this draft, we will be loaded in assets for graduation or trade. This is how a true contender is built, with strength at all positions with the big club, on the farm and at the prospect level.

We need to shore up in a few areas but here’s hoping we can remedy this quicker than I can say blueberry pie.......:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad