Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (1st round pick, 3OA 2018 - signed ELC) - Post-development camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not sure. He got his fair share of ice time last year so I'll say it's a good thing.

Kotkaniemi's father took over as head coach mid-season, and Kotka jumped up the drsft rankings after that
Do you think it's because of his father?

Point I'm making is we don't know anything really about how Assat develops their players, it's not like it's Frolunda...

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I'm pretty sure his average ice remained about the same after his dad took over from what I remember, I'd have to double check.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Do you think it's because of his father?

Point I'm making is we don't know anything really about how Assat develops their players, it's not like it's Frolunda...
Yeah I dunno. He will certainly get plenty of ice time at center this year in Assat though, I prefer to keep him out of the AHL if he doesn't have a legit shot at the NHL this year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Depends on the preseason roster. But I'd still like him in the center from now on regardless where he is playing.

To me there's only 1 place or him and it's C, no matter where he plays.
You don't develop a guy into a new role by not playing him on that role and not giving him time to learn that.

Liiga season will be on full speed when he returns from Montreal and that's not the time to start adjusting to new role.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Can't wait to see the reaction here if our new golden boy C is moved to the wing in Finland.
We just burned a pick on a Winger...
j696Ek6.gif

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Is that good or bad?

Usually it's bad but it depends. But at this age you usually want an external voice to teach the kid. Not only in hockey but in other sports like Tennis too.

I did not know his coach was his dad. Considering this i would seriously think about making him plays in laval if he is not against it. Bouchard is a good coach and he would get to play and grow with the other kids from the organization.

Reactions: 417

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm sure this is the plan...but I think they're open to seeing how he looks at camp and perhaps decide if its best for him to continue his developement in Laval.

As long as the player's training camp performance dictates where he plays next year, and not management pushing it, then I don't see why he shouldn't be at camp.

I thought a player had to turn 20 in the season or following offseason to be admitted in the A?

Le compétiteur

True, now add in the fact he's going to do that flight about 5 times in a month... And he'll be jet lagged for the whole month.

He won't be jet lagged for a month...

I did many time the Montréal - X - Helsinki flight ( X as there is no direct fligth ) I even lived in Finland. Jet lag is only 1 day, and when you travel from Europe to North-America the jet lag is less intense.

And by the way, have you watch some Liiga's games? And by watching I mean watching live at the game, not just YouTube video. I watched my fair share of games while I was in Finland. I watched game from many leagues too. The top 4-5 best Liiga's teams are around AHL level, the average caliber is lower. Saying he will face inferior opposition at training camp is not true at all.

He will face greater challenge playing few minutes/game for 9 games then all season long in Liiga.

The training camp is not a bad thing. Keeping him in Montréal all year, that's the bad idea.

Last edited:

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
But in all seriousness , I see a center when I watch his video, without a doubt.
That is what I noticed as well. Yes, his skating isn't great, but it doesn't matter as long as he adds more speed. He has size, good hands, a good shot, goes in front of the net, play well defensively considering he's only 17. We need to surround him with a lot more than what we have now.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
That is what I noticed as well. Yes, his skating isn't great, but it doesn't matter as long as he adds more speed. He has size, good hands, a good shot, goes in front of the net, play well defensively considering he's only 17. We need to surround him with a lot more than what we have now.
18!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad