Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (1st round pick, 3OA 2018 - signed ELC) - Post-development camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think the no. 1C is the team's top center that the team management is satisfied with and is not actively trying to acquire a better replacement.

Ummm, they tried to acquire Paul Statsny and ROR. There are rumors that Bergevin actually thought that he could get Tavares (lol).

Now that this failed, they're likely to tank next year. That might mean another top centre, depending on where the chips fall.

Reactions: Peanut

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
One thing that changes from year to year (or maybe every 3-5 years) is the "formula" to win a Stanley Cup, which I think informs us that there is no formula. It used to be that size won, that defense won, that depth won, and then it was first line centers. Posters here often say that you can't win a Cup with a goalie as your best player on the basis that it has not happened before. The truth is, there is no unique formula, whatever you can do to ice a great team.

We, on the Habs forum, obsess over the need for a top centre due to the fact that the Habs have lacked one for a long time. But during that period the Habs have had Markov, Sourray, Hamrlik, and Subban. Now they have ... the aging Weber. If the Habs find themselves with some great centers in a few years, but playing with 37 year-old Weber on the top pair, we'll be reading no shortage of posts that "great teams need a great no. 1 dman". Though this period, the Habs have mostly had good goaltending, good defense, and good depth. It's why we talk about those less. But every ingredient is important.

The aging Weber who is younger than Hamrlik was when he joined the Habs, and 7 years younger than Markov whom everyone thought was still a great player at age 39 that we should keep around. Same age as Paul Stastny that many wanted the club to sign, and he's a forward.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That's silly. You pretty much can't have a rough parameter for anything. In the end what you are looking for in a first line center is impact. It's the same with the number 1 dman. When Subban came here he had an immediate impact. The team sucked and then it did not suck anymore. Yeah Price/Halak and Patch/Cammalleri played a important role too but the impact Subban had with the team was really clear day 1 when he came here with only 2 games to go before the season ends and then went on to be one of our 3 best dmen in the playoffs in a run where a team that should have been out after the first round reached the semis.

So many things wrong with this post.

Subban did not join the club with two games to go in the regular season. His two games were in Jan or Feb as a callup.

The team did not always suck before Subban. They made the playoffs three straight years 2008, 2009 and 2010 without his help.

The team was not always great after Subban joined either. They missed the playoffs in 2012 and 2016 with Subban on the team. And then made the playoffs in 2017 without Subban.

Don't get me wrong, Subban is a very good player, but he doesn't walk on water.

Reactions: buddahsmoka1

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The aging Weber who is younger than Hamrlik was when he joined the Habs, and 7 years younger than Markov whom everyone thought was still a great player at age 39 that we should keep around. Same age as Paul Stastny that many wanted the club to sign, and he's a forward.

Weber's current age is irrelevant to my point. I was discussing the 2022-2027 Cup window.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
So many things wrong with this post.

Subban did not join the club with two games to go in the regular season. His two games were in Jan or Feb as a callup.

The team did not always suck before Subban. They made the playoffs three straight years 2008, 2009 and 2010 without his help.

The team was not always great after Subban joined either. They missed the playoffs in 2012 and 2016 with Subban on the team. And then made the playoffs in 2017 without Subban.

Don't get me wrong, Subban is a very good player, but he doesn't walk on water.

I don't think i pretended he did. Sorry about the 2 games not being at the end of the year my mistake.

It's Kotkaniemi trade so i wont discuss this further anyway. People should know my stance about Subban anyway i've always been vocal about it.

Reactions: DAChampion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad