Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (1st round pick, 3OA 2018 - signed ELC) - Post-development camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Watching those videos in the stickied thread is very encouraging. He’s always in the right place at the right time and his decision making is elite. Really plays like a pro at 17. Noticeable every time he’s on the ice.

Where he needs to improve specifically with the skating are his turns, they are a little too wide so it takes him longer. I don’t know if that’s on purpose because he wants to read the play or because he has long legs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Watching those videos in the stickied thread is very encouraging. He’s always in the right place at the right time and his decision making is elite. Really plays like a pro at 17. Noticeable every time he’s on the ice.

Where he needs to improve specifically with the skating are his turns, they are a little too wide so it takes him longer. I don’t know if that’s on purpose because he wants to read the play or because he has long legs.

I believe he had an leg injury a few seasons ago (assuming the 201/2017 season). That likely affected his power skating training and development. There are also other top 10 and top 5 draft picks with similar question marks about skating when they were drafted. He is a big boy so it's on him to work at that part of his game. I don't see him as the type to get complacent and not work at his skating.

Big center who can score goals and make plays. If he can improve his skating, we have an elite level type center. Development is on him and looking forward to see what he can do as a 18 year old next year. We have to remember, he just turned 18 a few days ago. He is 8 or 9 months younger vs Zadina too. We have to be patient

Reactions: cphabs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Signed to an ELC, does this mean he will use one of his 3 years no matter what next season?

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Excited for him and Ryan! I'm guessing he's going back to pori after development camp and play in Liiga this coming season

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I think it's a technique thing. He seems uncomfortable on his outside edges. His inside edges seem to be fine. This is why I'm a bit miffed that there's essentially no evidence that he's working with a skating coach this off-season. Should be pretty easily correctable, if only we'd go about correcting it.

Reactions: montreal

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Excited for him and Ryan! I'm guessing he's going back to pori after development camp and play in Liiga this coming season
He should. Go play Center against men in Liiga, then play Center for a season in Laval against better players on smaller ice. That would be my preference.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Kotkabust

:sarcasm:

(As the thread is in first page and baser on the comments in the previous dev camp)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Bergevin confirmed he will be at the Habs' camp and he didn't confirm where he will be next year. He basically left it open on him coming to Laval or playing his way onto the Habs' roster.

I'm of the opinion he should go back to Liiga for one year. JK confirmed that he will play center next year and not wing. But I wouldn't be upset if they bring him to Laval, either. As good as he may end up being at Habs' camp, I would hold off on playing him in NHL. So for me, it should either be Liiga or Laval.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Bergevin confirmed he will be at the Habs' camp and he didn't confirm where he will be next year. He basically left it open on him coming to Laval or playing his way onto the Habs' roster.

I'm of the opinion he should go back to Liiga for one year. JK confirmed that he will play center next year and not wing. But I wouldn't be upset if they bring him to Laval, either. As good as he may end up being at Habs' camp, I would hold off on playing him in NHL. So for me, it should either be Liiga or Laval.

If he went to back to Liiga he should stay in Finland, the pre season starts in a month and the regular season will be well going when the NHL camps start.

Vesalainen stayed in Finland training with his Liiga team and he had an excellent season.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I believe he had an leg injury a few seasons ago (assuming the 201/2017 season). That likely affected his power skating training and development. There are also other top 10 and top 5 draft picks with similar question marks about skating when they were drafted. He is a big boy so it's on him to work at that part of his game. I don't see him as the type to get complacent and not work at his skating.

Big center who can score goals and make plays. If he can improve his skating, we have an elite level type center. Development is on him and looking forward to see what he can do as a 18 year old next year. We have to remember, he just turned 18 a few days ago. He is 8 or 9 months younger vs Zadina too. We have to be patient

He has had ACL surgery. Which fits right in with some of the awkwardness of his skating, clearly it affected his strength.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I think the Montreal Canadiens picked a winner with Jesperi Kotkaniemi. I hope he makes the team next season.
RvxaIkk.jpg

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I'd want him in Laval personally...

A big fuss was made about the hiring of Joel Bouchard, well, wouldn't we want our best prospect in his hands?

The only concern I have with him being with Laval is basically bringing an 18yr old kid across the country and leaving him on his own (not sure if his family would follow him here), but this is when your organization has to provide the right kind of environment to support their player, make him stay with one of your vets (if they're willing of course).

If they're bringing him to camp, they must feel like he could be ready to make the transition...if he comes to camp and doesn't look out of place, which he shouldn't considering he's been playing vs men, then he should be in Laval. But if that's the case, he should be there all year.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Come on guys, its july and he has yet to score a goal for the habs.... I label him as an HFBOARD bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad