Jerseys that will 100% be retired

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Giroux could potentially get it. But Flyers are stingy with it. The only one that has his number retired that isn't in the HHoF is Barry Ashbee. Howe and Lindros are the only 2 to not win the Cup with the Flyers and those were added long after they had retired and seemingly after a lot of deliberation by the team after they were inducted. Barber, Clarke, and Parent are the other 3. If Giroux stays in the O&B for his entire career I could see it. I think he's borderline HHoF without a cup but its a long shot. Even still I think with the Flyers tending to be more lenient about doing so in recent years and Giroux's long tenure with the team while being the captain, face of the franchise and best player for an exceedingly long time for an organization that has not had many players like that in their history leads me to believe that its more likely #28 hangs in the rafters when he calls it a career than not.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Because all through the 70s up until Yzerman got drafted your team was knows as the Dead Wings.
I'm painfully aware, thanks.

Then in 1997 they won their first Cup in 42 years, went on to win 3 more and the only names that went up in the rafters are Yzerman and Lidstrom.* Hall of Famers, all time greats, captains of the team. Cases could be made for Shanahan, Chelios and certainly Fedorov but they're not up there.

Don't get me wrong I hope Zetterberg does have his number retired but the bar is high. I wouldn't call it a lock.

* not counting the Wings finally making things right by retiring Red Kelly's number.

Reactions: User9992

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Buffalo will for sure be retiring Zemgus Girgensons' number.

I can see the NHL retiring Raffi Torres' number league wide.

Not a lock, but the Oilers probably would consider retiring Jason Labarbera's number to the Rogers Place rafters.

The Vegas Golden Knights may make a special banner for Dale Tallon as the franchise's builder.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I would make a case for Jonathan Quick's number to be retired.

He literally holds all of our goalie records. There's no case to be made. Now to be fair we've only had 3 good goalies over the course of 50+ years, but he's miles ahead of what Vachon and Hrudy did.

Kopitar, Doughty, Brown and Quick could all retire tomorrow and get their numbers retired the day after the fact.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
If Price plays his entire career in Montreal his # 31 will also be retired.

Montreal Canadiens
31 - Carey Price
(He is breaking records with the team but will he be honored if he doesn't win a cup?)

Personally, I could see Price getting his jersey retired even if he doesn't win a cup. Molson and Bergevin love him.
I'd like to know each and every teams' standard as to what gets a number retired. Think we all should because I don't

Montreal I know takes at much as a cup and the HHOF.

So this is how it works in Montreal. Since the Habs are unarguably the most storied of all hockey franchises they kinda had to work out a system. First off you get your picture in the dressing room and then maybe one day your number makes it up there in the rafters. So to get your picture in the dressing room you need to accomplish 3 things.

#1 Play 2 seasons for MTL
#2 Win a Stanley Cup on the Habs
#3 Get in the Hockey Hall of Fame

Recent additions would be guys like Savard, Chelios and Carbonneau. Now people think the Habs have lots of numbers retired but only a small portion of the guys with their pictures up have gotten to the next step. So if Price doesn't win a Cup and thus can't even get his picture in the dressing room no way he gets his number retired.

Can we stop retiring numbers? I'm tired of looking at shit numbers.

No numbers should ever be retired in my opinion. Honoured, sure. Retired, no.

I'm against retiring numbers. Find some other way to honor the players.

So you guys agree with Ballard? No name on the back matters? Treat your players like garbage? Any fan that agrees with anything Harold Ballard was pushing is a fool IMHO.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Because all through the 70s up until Yzerman got drafted your team was knows as the Dead Wings.

That is only 15 or so years in the teams whole history though. It is just the Wings are more strict with this than many teams.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Karlsson played 9 seasons with Ottawa and that body of work alone puts him in the Hall of Fame.
He has the most impressive playoff run by a defenseman in recent history, was captain of the team and was traded despite wanting to stay in Ottawa.

Not better than Duncan Keith in 2015.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Price, depending of how it goes in the next 6 years lol

He already has some records regarding goaltending in Montreal (Roy, Dryden, Plante is his competition) and is home grown.

He is/was the goaltender of an entire era and was among the best (if not straight up the best) of his peers during his time.

.... But it could sour rapidly if he doesn't live up to that terrible, terrible contract lol
So John Kordics number will finally hang from the rafters. :sarcasm:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Malkin, Thornton, and Marleau 100% have to be locks. That would be a real f***ing crime if any of them dont.
Marleau is now back to break Howes record. Only reason they brought him back. Does show you how much they think of him. I thunk him and Joe are both locks.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I have to assume Giroux is a lock for the flyers.

Hank for the Rangers.

Price is interesting, but that's a super historic franchise, so maybe harder to accomplish that.

Rinne for Predators

Most other ones are fairly self explanatory
Price in the only reason his team were not favored for first over all in the lottery for the last six seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad