Jerseys that will 100% be retired

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Crosby, Malkin, and Jagr were always top tier players. MVP's. Generational stars. I don't think Letang belongs up there with those guys. Always a great defenceman. But never the best in any given season. And unlike the other three, he's not a lock for the Hall.

Pietrangelo is debatable. He was the captain of their only cup to this point. But he never won any awards. Nor was he considered the best at his position in any season.

In my opinion, jersey numbers should align on some level. In otherwords, it's not weird to see # 11 hanging beside # 99 in the Edmonton rafters. It's not weird to see # 77 hanging beside # 4 in Boston.

It would be weird to see # 31 retired in Montreal (Assuming no cup). Beside # 33 and # 29.
Right now Price is nowhere near those two. Great goalie bad teams. When Price did get play off chances he was average.

Reactions: User9992

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I know Pens fans are hot and cold on Jaromir, but FFS. Just retire his number already please?

I know its been a bit rocky since his last season there, but he was truly epic, and the Penguins royally sucked during those years he was winning Art Ross and Harts.
Jagr will always be a Penguin to me.

Stop with the shenanigans ok?

Fuhr played his last season for the Flames too, and he's up in our rafters.
Guy Lafleur played for the Nordiques and he's a retired Hab.

When people close their eyes and think of Jagr, they always envision him wearing a Pens jersey and a glorious mullet.
Lafleurs jersey was retired before he even considered a come back. He played in the Forum scoring goals with it hanging above him. Best right winger of all time. :thumbu:

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
So this is how it works in Montreal. Since the Habs are unarguably the most storied of all hockey franchises they kinda had to work out a system. First off you get your picture in the dressing room and then maybe one day your number makes it up there in the rafters. So to get your picture in the dressing room you need to accomplish 3 things.

#1 Play 2 seasons for MTL
#2 Win a Stanley Cup on the Habs
#3 Get in the Hockey Hall of Fame

Recent additions would be guys like Savard, Chelios and Carbonneau. Now people think the Habs have lots of numbers retired but only a small portion of the guys with their pictures up have gotten to the next step. So if Price doesn't win a Cup and thus can't even get his picture in the dressing room no way he gets his number retired.

So you guys agree with Ballard? No name on the back matters? Treat your players like garbage? Any fan that agrees with anything Harold Ballard was pushing is a fool IMHO.
Is that what I said? Better go back and reread my post. The giant leap you made to this conclusion is amazing.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
So John Kordics number will finally hang from the rafters. :sarcasm:

So John Kordics = One of the best goaltender (if not outright the best) of his generation?

Price had the misfortune to play in a shit team, but he still did amazing for himself. If anyone on the Habs deserves to go to the rafter, it's Price, hands down lol
And even tho he was in those terrible teams, unless he hurts himself, he'll be in the top 10 wins at the end of his career, easily

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
So this is how it works in Montreal. Since the Habs are unarguably the most storied of all hockey franchises they kinda had to work out a system. First off you get your picture in the dressing room and then maybe one day your number makes it up there in the rafters. So to get your picture in the dressing room you need to accomplish 3 things.

Recent additions would be guys like Savard, Chelios and Carbonneau. Now people think the Habs have lots of numbers retired but only a small portion of the guys with their pictures up have gotten to the next step. So if Price doesn't win a Cup and thus can't even get his picture in the dressing room no way he gets his number retired.

That's not it.
Every hall of famer that played at least 2 seasons with the team gets his picture in the dressing room, cup or not (case in point Recchi is there). If Price make it to the HoF he'll be there.

There's no link between the banners and the ring of honor.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
I'm biased as an Oiler fan, but I like what Edmonton does with retired numbers. The de facto rule is that you have to play your prime and/or a significant part of your career as an Oiler (duh), and you have to get inducted into the HHOF. If you look at when each number was retired for the Oilers you will see that the number is only retired after the HOF announcement. Glenn Anderson, for example, retired in 1997 but wasn't inducted into the HOF until Nov 2008. The Oilers retired his jersey in Jan 2009. I can pretty much guarantee that Kevin Lowe will have his #4 retired whenever things get back to normal attendance wise. This system makes it pretty cut and dry so that there's not any debate over who gets their number retired. Ryan Smyth- good player, great Oiler, no HOF, no jersey retirement.

With all that said, I think Lowe and McDavid (barring something very strange) are both locks to have their numbers retired. Draisaitl is definitely trending in the right direction but he's still a ways away from being a HOFer. Another season with some personal hardware or some playoff success will likely tip the scales.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I'm biased as an Oiler fan, but I like what Edmonton does with retired numbers. The de facto rule is that you have to play your prime and/or a significant part of your career as an Oiler (duh), and you have to get inducted into the HHOF. If you look at when each number was retired for the Oilers you will see that the number is only retired after the HOF announcement. Glenn Anderson, for example, retired in 1997 but wasn't inducted into the HOF until Nov 2008. The Oilers retired his jersey in Jan 2009. I can pretty much guarantee that Kevin Lowe will have his #4 retired whenever things get back to normal attendance wise. This system makes it pretty cut and dry so that there's not any debate over who gets their number retired. Ryan Smyth- good player, great Oiler, no HOF, no jersey retirement.

With all that said, I think Lowe and McDavid (barring something very strange) are both locks to have their numbers retired. Draisaitl is definitely trending in the right direction but he's still a ways away from being a HOFer. Another season with some personal hardware or some playoff success will likely tip the scales.
Lowe in the Hall , would he be the least skilled Dman in there? Him and Languay.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

So you guys agree with Ballard? No name on the back matters? Treat your players like garbage? Any fan that agrees with anything Harold Ballard was pushing is a fool IMHO.
Yea, he also believed the Maple leafs were a Stanley Cup contender . :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad