Jerseys that will 100% be retired

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don't think Datsyuk or Zetterberg will get their numbers retired. It's not a knock on them, but more along the lines of how highly regarded the numbers in the rafters are.

If a player in 5 years wore 13 or 40, I personally wouldn't be that bothered. 40 more since that's an uncommon number.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd like to know each and every teams' standard as to what gets a number retired. Think we all should because I don't

Because I know in Detroit you gotta do A LOT! It's so hard that the next best thing is getting your number taken out of circulation, and that's Niklas Kronwall level. I'd have to go with Detroit.

Montreal I know takes at much as a cup and the HHOF.

I mean in Edmonton I believe Ryan Smyth should have his number retired, but I also believe he should've been captain of the Oilers for a few seasons at least.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I'd like to know each and every teams' standard as to what gets a number retired. Think we all should because I don't

Because I know in Detroit you gotta do A LOT! It's so hard that the next best thing is getting your number taken out of circulation, and that's Niklas Kronwall level. I'd have to go with Detroit.

Montreal I know takes at much as a cup and the HHOF.

I mean in Edmonton I believe Ryan Smyth should have his number retired, but I also believe he should've been captain of the Oilers for a few seasons at least.
Edmonton has always said they won't retire a number unless that player is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. That's why Kevin Lowe's #4 hasn't been retired yet. Now that Lowe is in the HHOF, expect to see #4 in the rafters next time there are fans in the stands.

As a side note, I always found it funny that every retired Oiler number is all odd numbers 3, 7, 9, 11, 17, 31, 99.
Leave it to Lowe to mess that up....lol... McDavid's 97 will fit in nicely though.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Giroux should be the last to ever wear 28 for the Flyers.
He's already near the top in a lot of categories (save for goals) in franchise history and will be the longest tenured Captain in our history.

If he never leaves, it's all but certain.

Last edited:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Crosby, Malkin, and Jagr were always top tier players. MVP's. Generational stars. I don't think Letang belongs up there with those guys. Always a great defenceman. But never the best in any given season. And unlike the other three, he's not a lock for the Hall.

Pietrangelo is debatable. He was the captain of their only cup to this point. But he never won any awards. Nor was he considered the best at his position in any season.

In my opinion, jersey numbers should align on some level. In otherwords, it's not weird to see # 11 hanging beside # 99 in the Edmonton rafters. It's not weird to see # 77 hanging beside # 4 in Boston.

It would be weird to see # 31 retired in Montreal (Assuming no cup). Beside # 33 and # 29.

I think you are mixing two things here : the HOF and the jersey retirements. A jersey retirement is based on the greatness of a player relative to their franchise only. The Hall is for the players that had a significant impact on the game itself for the duration of their career. Those can be coincident, but aren't the same. Pietrangelo is a top-3 defenseman in Blues history and captained their way to their first cup ever, after a 51 years-long wait. From the Blues perspective, he is an all-time great. Letang was the anchor on D for 3 cups, all won by the same core, which was by definition more successful than the Lemieux core (2 cups). From the Pens point of view, he is also an all-time great. Maybe neither will be in the Hall, but their names will be in the rafters.

Btw, the entry to the Hall nor the jersey retirement exclusively depend on individual achievements. Being great, or deserving of fame, doesn't strictly mean being performant. It's more complex, it includes leadership, opportunity, demeanor.

I'll give an example. Richard never won an Art Ross, and I think got the most goals twice. He's got legit HOF stats, don't get me wrong, but why is he the absolute legend people praise? The fire in his eyes, the determination in his steps, the power of his shot, and the passion to win contributed to the creation of a larger-than-life idol. It did translate to actual production on the ice, of course, which will be taken into account for an admission to the Hall and a jersey retirement. But nobody gets to be legendary on account of what's on a score sheet. It's what the player meant to the franchise, to the fans, that makes him unforgettable.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I think you are mixing two things here : the HOF and the jersey retirements. A jersey retirement is based on the greatness of a player relative to their franchise only. The Hall is for the players that had a significant impact on the game itself for the duration of their career. Those can be coincident, but aren't the same. Pietrangelo is a top-3 defenseman in Blues history and captained their way to their first cup ever, after a 51 years-long wait. From the Blues perspective, he is an all-time great. Letang was the anchor on D for 3 cups, all won by the same core, which was by definition more successful than the Lemieux core (2 cups). From the Pens point of view, he is also an all-time great. Maybe neither will be in the Hall, but their names will be in the rafters.

Btw, the entry to the Hall nor the jersey retirement exclusively depend on individual achievements. Being great, or deserving of fame, doesn't strictly mean being performant. It's more complex, it includes leadership, opportunity, demeanor.

I'll give an example. Richard never won an Art Ross, and I think got the most goals twice. He's got legit HOF stats, don't get me wrong, but why is he the absolute legend people praise? The fire in his eyes, the determination in his steps, the power of his shot, and the passion to win contributed to the creation of a larger-than-life idol. It did translate to actual production on the ice, of course, which will be taken into account for an admission to the Hall and a jersey retirement. But nobody gets to be legendary on account of what's on a score sheet. It's what the player meant to the franchise, to the fans, that makes him unforgettable.

Good response. Tough to argue this.

Reactions: Realgud and Toene

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
From LA, Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, and Quick are all guaranteed. They’re the four greatest Kings players of all time.

We’ve had kind of a rough history.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
8, 19 will 100% be retired here. 70 has a good shot. 74 if he breaks the franchise record for points by a dman could be possible
edit: im pretty sure he already has so he'd definitely be under consideration

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Good response. Tough to argue this.
Well, you can definitely argue it imo, because there's some jersey retirements and HOF admissions that are quite puzzling. Also, criterias vary from a team to another when they choose to immortalize a player's number. Getting your jersey retired in Colombus vs in Montreal is different because history and expectations are too. Price is probably HOFer, but I personally dont think he should get his jersey retired. This honor is reserved to Canadiens who lifted Lord Stanley's trophy above their heads. Price would be the first cup-less jersey in the Bell Centre rafters and it would be weird, as if the Habs gave up on their traditional standards. Meanwhile, I think Rick Nash could get his jersey retired. Symbolically, he was their young franchise's building stone.

There is room to argue every choice, since it is far from an exact science and every decision is relative.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Edmonton has always said they won't retire a number unless that player is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. That's why Kevin Lowe's #4 hasn't been retired yet. Now that Lowe is in the HHOF, expect to see #4 in the rafters next time there are fans in the stands.

As a side note, I always found it funny that every retired Oiler number is all odd numbers 3, 7, 9, 11, 17, 31, 99.
Leave it to Lowe to mess that up....lol... McDavid's 97 will fit in nicely though.

They should also consider certain players. I would say career players, but then a case might be made for Shawn Horcoff who is one of the most overrated players in NHL history. I mean Ryan Smyth was not a superstar or anything but he more than deserves to have his number retired by the Oilers as he'll never get into the HHOF. Smyth did a lot for the team and played 900+ games which is rare for an Oiler nowadays. Only Kevin Lowe played more games as an Oiler, and he should've had his number retired a long time ago.

Should be a mix of HHOF and how their career went in Edmonton/performance. Lowe should've had his number retired a long time ago.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not on the team anymore but 100% Bobrovsky's jersey will be retired by the CBJ.

(And Rick Nash too, but he's not active)

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Pretty soon the NHL will have to start putting a 1 in front of all the jerseys numbers. Positive is that means there’s a deep pool of stars.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
PIT - Crosby, Malkin
TB - Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov
CHI - Kane, Toews, Keith
LA - Kopitar, Doughty, Quick
BOS - Chara, Bergeron, Marchand
NYR - Lundqvist
SJS - Marleau, Thornton
WAS - Ovechkin, Backstrom
PHI - Giroux
STL - Pietrangelo
CGY - Giordano
ANA - Getzlaf, Perry

Those are the absolute locks to me, right now if the NHL ceased to exist.

17c.png

BattleLevel

Jan 19, 2014
Not sure if they'd retire the number or just honour it in some way, but Scheifele has a decent shot if he sticks with the Jets.
First draft pick of 2.0, probably going to get the C after Wheeler, and has a pretty legit shot at retiring as the leader in a bunch of team categories (I know the bar is low in some of them)

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I have to assume Giroux is a lock for the flyers.

Hank for the Rangers.

Price is interesting, but that's a super historic franchise, so maybe harder to accomplish that.

Rinne for Predators

Most other ones are fairly self explanatory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad