Jerseys that will 100% be retired

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If you think STL is not winning another cup anytime soon, they'll retire Pietro's number. The free agency news cycle of this year is just noise in the long run. Time heals all wounds when it's something that big for a franchise that's been waiting so long for the cup.

PIT will eventually do the same for Jagr, once he's a super super old man.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
If you think STL is not winning another cup anytime soon, they'll retire Pietro's number. The free agency news cycle of this year is just noise in the long run. Time heals all wounds when it's something that big for a franchise that's been waiting so long for the cup.

PIT will eventually do the same for Jagr, once he's a super super old man.

I think the Blues winning another cup during Pietrangelos career would go against his number being retired.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I don't think Datsyuk or Zetterberg will get their numbers retired. It's not a knock on them, but more along the lines of how highly regarded the numbers in the rafters are.

If a player in 5 years wore 13 or 40, I personally wouldn't be that bothered. 40 more since that's an uncommon number.
Zetterberg will with 100% certainty get his number retired.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Victor Hedman says hello.

And he adds « Boy that Karlsson run was the best since Pronger in 2006. I’d wish to match that. »

Hedman is my favorite defensemen (honestly). But Karlsson dragged a team that had a 61 pts Mike Hoffman as its best forward, only to fall shy a (2nd OT) goal short of the finals.

Love Hedman but Karlsson’s run was something I didn’t see since.

Last edited:

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
‘I’ve got some bad news for you.
12 seasons with the team, multiple time Norris finalist, CAPTAIN of the only Cup winning team in franchise history.

Yet people think journeymen players like Jagr should get their jersey retired.

Even guys like Kucherov are mentioned as a lock, when he could just as well change teams at some point.

Pietrangelo will get his jersey retired when it's all said and done. Despite his post-Blues career.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I won't comment on other teams, but the rate Canucks retire numbers, we will run out of numbers very soon.

12 Smyl and 16 Linden was a must.
19 Naslund was weird imo.
10 Bure was okay.....but owner fan boy much?
22 Sedin and 33 Sedin is deserved.

And they might not be done, 1 Luongo do get brought up sometimes, and if 23 Edler finish career in a Canucks uniform...

If the current youth of 53 Horvat 40 Pettersson 43 Hughes even get within smelling distance of a cup... Ownership would retire them too, not to mention 6 Boeser.

Canucks : 50 years, 3 finals, no cup, 6 jersey retired.

11 Maki 28 Bourdon 37 Rypien 38 Demitra are out of circulations as well.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Ekman Larsson for the yotes? If he doesn't get traded that is.

Just playing decently and long for a team doesn't get you jersey retirement status. He has no personal awards and the team has nothing either. Then again this is Arizona, they don't have anything else to go on.

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Just playing decently and long for a team doesn't get you jersey retirement status. He has no personal awards and the team has nothing either. Then again this is Arizona, they don't have anything else to go on.

Of course he wouldn't have his jersey retired in a original 6 team, but teams have a tendency to want to retire jerseys once in a while. They don't have tons of choices.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
12 seasons with the team, multiple time Norris finalist, CAPTAIN of the only Cup winning team in franchise history.

Yet people think journeymen players like Jagr should get their jersey retired.

Even guys like Kucherov are mentioned as a lock, when he could just as well change teams at some point.

Pietrangelo will get his jersey retired when it's all said and done. Despite his post-Blues career.
Lol, so one of the best players in history shouldn't have his jersey retired by a team he spent 11 seasons with, won two Cups with along with multiple Art Ross and Pearson awards with?

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca

Attachments

• life_e_photo13.jpg
    life_e_photo13.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 4

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Kane, Toews and Keith are 100% locks. I don't know why you would put the first two as likely.

Confusing how Kopitar/Doughty are locks and not Kane/Toews/Keith :huh:

Anyhow I could see Hossa getting his number retired now that he's in the HHOF. Hawks are notoriously tough with numbers being retired, essentially every one thats been retired has belonged to a HHOF player minus Magnuson (who died tragically). Seabs I can only see them doing if they bury the hatchet with Chelios and do both around the same time, like NYR did with Bathagte/Graves.
This exactly. Also, there are a few Black Hawks HHOF players from the 40’s to 50’s who don’t even have their numbers retired. They might make Hossa wait until after T/K/K get their numbers raised.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Well, you can definitely argue it imo, because there's some jersey retirements and HOF admissions that are quite puzzling. Also, criterias vary from a team to another when they choose to immortalize a player's number. Getting your jersey retired in Colombus vs in Montreal is different because history and expectations are too. Price is probably HOFer, but I personally dont think he should get his jersey retired. This honor is reserved to Canadiens who lifted Lord Stanley's trophy above their heads. Price would be the first cup-less jersey in the Bell Centre rafters and it would be weird, as if the Habs gave up on their traditional standards. Meanwhile, I think Rick Nash could get his jersey retired. Symbolically, he was their young franchise's building stone.

There is room to argue every choice, since it is far from an exact science and every decision is relative.

You said everything that needed to be said. I just meant there was no good reply I could come up with ha.

You argued both sides well.

Personally, I could see Price getting his jersey retired even if he doesn't win a cup. Molson and Bergevin love him.

But..it would be odd. Especially since every other player in the rafters won a cup.

Reactions: Toene

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Lol, so one of the best players in history shouldn't have his jersey retired by a team he spent 11 seasons with, won two Cups with along with multiple Art Ross and Pearson awards with?
Not saying he shouldn't. Just saying Pietrangelo should.

Jagr signed with Philly, for crying out loud! Pietrangelo signing with Vegas is nothing.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
LA has a lot, Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, and Quick are all going to the rafters. There isn't a doubt about it in LA.

I see a lot of lists aren't including him, but Brown is definitely going up. He is LA's modern-day Dave Taylor, the most successful captain we've ever had, played the most games for the franchise in its history, and is the highest respected captain in Kings' history amongst ownership, management, and the fanbase.

Reactions: kingsboy11

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I think Fedorov should have his number retired before both Datsyuk and Zetterberg.
I wholeheartedly agree. His number should be in the rafters already.

Zetterberg will with 100% certainty get his number retired.

Zetterberg isn’t a HoF lock and he wouldn’t get his number retired without it.
Even as a Wings fan, there's only been 8 numbers retired in the team's history. Lidstrom was a lock but no one else is. I think Zetterberg's number should be retired but it's not a certainty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad