Player Discussion Jeff Skinner

Do you approve of Skinner for Pu, 2019 2, 2020 3 & 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Unless they have a handshake under the table agreement there is no way in hell that happens. No NHL team is ever going to be stupid enough to get Pajama Boy'ed ever again.

Well now that I know what pajama boy means (thanks SabresSharks), let me clarify. Both sides might want an 8 years deal, but that doesn't mean they'll wait until after the TDL, or should wait. There's too much time and things that can happen before a 7 (or maybe 8) year deal can be agreed upon, and of course we're not going to be in the room when they negotiate to know what's important for each side.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
46072369_972031812991432_6989335494941212672_n.jpg

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
The fact that he is going to go down as the single most hated and despised figure in Islanders history (even more than Dale Hunter, Mike Milbury, Garth Snow, John Spano, Gluckshmuck and Millstupid or Gang of 4) while Josh Bailey is going to end up a beloved legend is something I'm still trying to wrap my head around. If you told me that 2 years ago I would've looked at you like you had two heads.
I think it's a bit unfair. He obviously agonized over the decision. Sports fans tend to be irrational. I'll be glued to the first Leafs game against NYI regardless. Doubt it will be pretty.

Back on topic ... resigning Skinner should be a top priority. He wanted to come here to be closer to his family, and with the season he's having and the way he's fit in with Jack, I imagine he wants to stay.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I agree with prior posters that E. Kane likely set the floor for Skinner's next contract, but I don't think it will be Kucherov-like money.

Skinner, Ovechkin, Paternak, Landeskog, Matthews are all scoring goals at unsustainable shooting percentages.

Skinner is a 30-40 goal scorer with Eichel as a linemate once his shooting percentage drops back to earth. He's a 0.75ppg career scorer. He'll likely have his best NHL year to date (or close to it) if he and his linemates stay healthy. I project him to 41 goals this season, +4/-3, assuming all 82 games played.

I think the Sabres will have a good case to not overpay.

Wake me closer to the TDL. I just want to enjoy the ride for the winter months.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Just so I’m on record, now and forever:

Sign him at all costs. Give him whatever he wants. He is more important to the future of this team than any other player on the roster or in the pipeline. He MUST remain a Sabre for the next 8 years.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
No, Skinner was traded after his NMC/NTC was in effect. It can only be lost if the player is traded or waived before it goes into effect (eg PK Subban).

https://thehockeywriters.com/predators-wont-honour-p-k-subbans-no-movement-clause/
This article has a good explanation The NHL’s Gift to Players: No-Movement Clauses

Alright thanks. I still think there's a loophole though ;)
While jbot didn't give up a tremendous amount to get him, I don't see him as throwing shit away like my boy GMTM did. So why didn't he just sign him right away? Would have been cheaper. I think because he knows that he can move him at the deadline if he needs to. And that was the general consensus amongst the talking heads and pundits at the time of the deal. We lose nothing if we can't re sign him and likely win in the end even if he's dealt at TDL. Is all that just conspiracy theory?

Still, the fact that he agreed to come here while on a NTC should be proof enough that we have as good and more likely better than chance than anyone to sign him. Toronto can't afford him so we win. Guy has completely turned me around. In fact I saw earlier someone saying that Sheary falls down a lot. I used to say that about Skinner but he really has won me over. Loving the backheck takeaway effort from this guy. He has the goods. Sign him.

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
I think it will. Giving him that extra year brings it down just a touch.
Add in the fact that he wants to be close to toronto (when Toronto can't afford him) and that we have a bright future that of course he can see. Those things may bring down the price. I'm not sure we can get it down to 7 per year though

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
8x8 will be the most likely deal if Sabres pull it off. And that's a slight overpayment. But what are you going to do. you need wingers for Eichel, Mittelstadt.

Dahlin is going to command Eichel money in 3 years. We can't go too overboard now.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I am now all for giving him up to 8.0 long term at max length with that full NMC. He was my favorite non Sabre and someone I had pined for on this very board 5 years ago but even I never expected this type of play. I know he is not a true perennial rocket contender but 18 games is more then just a hot streak. The season is nearly 25% done. He is an actually in the mix for the leagues leading goal scorer title. While I expect him to falter just a bit I do expect him to hit 40 for us. And I think he will do that 2 or 3 times the next 5 years if he plays with Jack.

He just brings so much more then poaching goals. His speed, tenacity, never give up attitude and his elite puck stealing skills make him our 2nd high end forward needed.

If we can have our top 2 Fs making 18 mil combined that is reasonable. A superstar 2 way center and star high end goal scoring franchise winger as your 2 best forwards is fair retail price. Skinner is nothing like the Isles cast offs. Skinner will not fall off like they did. He is too skilled, too fast, more productive and quite frankly twice the players Okposo and Moulson ever were. Unlike those 2 he didnt have a Tavares. He did it all himself.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Just so I’m on record, now and forever:

Sign him at all costs. Give him whatever he wants. He is more important to the future of this team than any other player on the roster or in the pipeline. He MUST remain a Sabre for the next 8 years.

Eichel/Dahlin ?? I do think he's a very important pice moving forward though, good teams have high end wingers to compliment high end centers.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Skinner has his 11th ESG. He is simply one of the best esg scorers in the entire league and that can not be valued enough.

11 ESG in 18 games. The guy that he pretty much directly replaced in the top 6 RoR scored 11,12 and 9 ESGs his 3 years in Buffalo. 32 ESG in 3 seasons. Jeff Skinner has 11 in 18 games. He has already surpassed RoRs 17-18 ESGs, matched his 16-17 esg totals and is a single goal away from his 15-16 ESG totals.

Ror is a great player but Skinner is an elite 5v5 scorer. Even strength scoring has been our Achilles heel for years. Skinner is the cure.

Skinner must be kept at all costs. The last time we had a 30 goal scorer it was 2011-2012 and it was Jeff's recent winger linemate who did it. If you go nearly 8 years in between 30 goal scorers then you quite simply have to do whatever it takes to keep Skinner. He is special. Skinner and Eichel can be our new Briere and Drury.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Because it's the one thing they hang onto when saying how we had to get rid of ROR.

The comparison just doesn’t make sense, that’s like saying Joe Thornton doesn’t have as many even strength goals as Evander Kane, it’s irrelevant they play different games. We’re 10-6-2 without ROR, more likely then not the team felt that a change was need for the sake of making the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad