Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
IDC about chara now. stop bringing him up plz.

Tavares is just as irrelevant as Chara. They're both signed elsewhere.

But in terms of strategy for the future, Chara is more relevant. He signed for much more of a percentage of the cap than Tavares did. You have to ask yourself: are you willing to spend as much of the cap as the Bruins spent on Chara to get an elite player? It was a move that without it, the Bruins would be in a longer cup drought than we are.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
yes I would take him without giving out assets at that rate for 3 to 5 years, just like I would have paid Chara 8.5 million per year against a 39 million dollar cap.

You do understand that 8.5 million for Chara at that time is roughly the same as 17 million for Tavares in terms of percentage of the cap now?

Ask yourself, if 27 year old Chara were available now, would you pay him 17 million per year? If the answer is no, you're saying the Bruins shouldn't have paid him 8.5 million. But no way they win the cup without him. Elite players are worth the big bucks.

It isn't the same thing. The cap was growing at a much higher rate than it is now, aside from 09-10.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It isn't the same thing. The cap was growing at a much higher rate than it is now, aside from 09-10.

The cap went up from 39 million to 59 million from 2006 to 2011, a 50% increase. While I agree with, and previously considered, your point, I still pay my stars top dollar. Also, don't at all be surprised if the cap is at 120 million in 5 years (another 50%) increase. Just look at how much the Habs are worth today versus when he bought the team in 2009. And there's a new CBA coming...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

It isn't the same thing for another two reasons.

Prime Chara had far more impact on the game than prime Tavares, and defencemen age better than forwards most of the time.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Chara is the most successful UFA pickup of the post-2005 era, by a substantial margin.

Hossa is the second most successful.

Tavares has the potential to be as or more successful, but it will be a tough hill to climb.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I'm hoping they can remind us every broadcast his dad played baseball. I wouldn't know what to do without a reminder, every game.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Chara is the most successful UFA pickup of the post-2005 era, by a substantial margin.

Tavares has the potential to be as or more successful, but it will be a tough hill to climb.

I was hoping Gainey did everything he could to get him at the time. Him and Savard really turned the Bruins franchise around.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I was hoping Gainey did everything he could to get him at the time. Him and Savard really turned the Bruins franchise around.

I wasn't following the Habs at the time.

Did people discuss that?

Did the Habs have enough cap space for Chara?

From the little bit that I recall, Gainey was then obsessed with getting an impact forward, and her mercifully whiffed on all three of Ryan Smythe, Daniel Briere, and Vincent Lecavalier, and probably some other guys that I simply don't know about or have forgotten about.

Mats Sundin and Marian Hossa would have been great though.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I'm hoping they can remind us every broadcast his dad played baseball. I wouldn't know what to do without a reminder, every game.

But did you know he’s a World Series champion??? That’s like the only ring currently in the Habs locker room.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Was Timmy Thomas a free agent?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
But did you know he’s a World Series champion??? That’s like the only ring currently in the Habs locker room.

Its like watching The Curse of Oak Island, and they tell you everyone's name and profession at every turn.

Reactions: Da Grinder

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
With 1 game to go in 2018, Perty has 15g 41a for 56 pts in 82 games. Tied for 12th among all Ds. :thumbu:

one of the most underappreciated habs player, and on this board too many want to get rid of him. The offensive production is equal to that of a certain someone not on the team anymore, at 40% of the cost. We don't get the same defensive production but we got a man mountain for that.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Petry's elevated his play to a whole new level. We could get so much for him but who would we replace him with? It's tough because you want the young players and picks but no one is ready to step up and take his spot.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Petry's elevated his play to a whole new level. We could get so much for him but who would we replace him with? It's tough because you want the young players and picks but no one is ready to step up and take his spot.
Next year dcore should be Weber, Juulsen and Lernout as RHD and Kulak, Reilly, Schlemko and Mete as LHD. All under 26 and under beside Weber and Schlemko. Getting a 1st, mid round pick and a prospect for 32 years old Petry is a must for the future, as this team isn't ready to make a serious run at the cup for another 2 to 3 years.

Reactions: bsl

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
one of the most underappreciated habs player, and on this board too many want to get rid of him. The offensive production is equal to that of a certain someone not on the team anymore, at 40% of the cost. We don't get the same defensive production but we got a man mountain for that.

yup, just like that guy eh....
602912983894866843114-14840.65
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
vs
56652143195-1092331416-9770.34
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

while i would agree that Petry is largely underappreciated, to equate him to the best defenseman this franchise has seen in decades is disingenuous

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LaP

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
yup, just like that guy eh....
602912983894866843114-14840.65
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
vs
56652143195-1092331416-9770.34
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
while i would agree that Petry is largely underappreciated, to equate him to the best defenseman this franchise has seen in decades is disingenuous

I wasn't directly comparing both their games, just their offensive PRODUCTION, acutal points. Thats why Petry cost 5.5 and PK 9 because he is a 5 tool player and is one of the best in the game. Petry puts up 56 points PK puts up 59 points, thats the only comparison the actual points.

Defensivly I agree they are no where close at all. But if Petry was as good as PK on Defense you would have to agree Petry would be a top D in the league and probably making 9 million a season or close to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

If someone wants to trade Petry because he has value, how does that make him under or unappreciated?

The first question is whether MON will want to re-sign Petry as a 34 year old and protect him at the expansion draft in Seattle. Overpay him for too much term? I wouldn't.

Then, even if you did want to re-sign him and he agreed to re-sign here, how much longer would he really be at a high level still (if he hadn't already begun slipping)?

During his next two years after this one, will MON be contending for anything in the postseason?

Since I wouldn't want to re-sign him in two more years after this one and risk losing a younger D in Juulsen or Mete for Petry at that stage in his career, and since I don't think we will be contending over the next two years after this one, isn't it more logical to move Petry at a time where he is at peak value, with little enough term that we could easily eat up half his Cap in a trade and really raise his value to a cap-strapped contender that has either just entered their window of opportunity or is just entering their window?

Petry has a degree of choice as to his next destination with a list of 15 teams he would agree to be traded to, but would he really, at 31 (going on 32), refuse to be moved to a legitimate contender for a chance at a Cup before he retires?

And I'm not even a tanking enthusiast. I believe that Petry, at 2.75M, providing a contender with three cracks at a Cup because their current D is that much better with him than without him, can nab us a late first rounder and a quality LD prospect.

In three or four years, when we are better poised for a run at the Cup, those assets will be more valuable than Petry then and petty in the meantime.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

He should only get moved if we get premium value on his recent level of play... which is feasible.

But otherwise, would be absolutely foolish to trade him. He's become an excellent top 4 dman, not quite an impact top-pairing guy, but certainly a better than average top-4 player, and on a very manageable cap hit.

Having the luxury of organizational depth at RD (at least in potential), is the only reason moving him for a premium return would make sense. Weber - Juulsen - Brook - Fleury (plus whatever short-term UFA vet fodder needed to bridge Juulsen/Brook/Fleury being ready to fully step in) gives us the flexibility to leverage what Petry has become to either address other roster holes, or cash in on a premium return from a team desperately needing what he can provide.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I wasn't directly comparing both their games, just their offensive PRODUCTION, acutal points. Thats why Petry cost 5.5 and PK 9 because he is a 5 tool player and is one of the best in the game. Petry puts up 56 points PK puts up 59 points, thats the only comparison the actual points.

Defensivly I agree they are no where close at all. But if Petry was as good as PK on Defense you would have to agree Petry would be a top D in the league and probably making 9 million a season or close to it.

If Petry was as good as PK he'd be in line for a similar contract?

ok, i guess we can agree on that :dunno:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
If Petry was as good as PK he'd be in line for a similar contract?

ok, i guess we can agree on that :dunno:

Petry isn't paid as much as PK because he isn't as good as PK who is an all star and Norris winner. If Petry was as good as PK on the defensive side of the game which would mean very good he would be paid like an all star. Since Petry isn't as good he isn't paid at much. But for the price we are paying him we are getting the same amount of points. Thats a decent deal.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If someone wants to trade Petry because he has value, how does that make him under or unappreciated?

The first question is whether MON will want to re-sign Petry as a 34 year old and protect him at the expansion draft in Seattle. Overpay him for too much term? I wouldn't.

Then, even if you did want to re-sign him and he agreed to re-sign here, how much longer would he really be at a high level still (if he hadn't already begun slipping)?

During his next two years after this one, will MON be contending for anything in the postseason?

Since I wouldn't want to re-sign him in two more years after this one and risk losing a younger D in Juulsen or Mete for Petry at that stage in his career, and since I don't think we will be contending over the next two years after this one, isn't it more logical to move Petry at a time where he is at peak value, with little enough term that we could easily eat up half his Cap in a trade and really raise his value to a cap-strapped contender that has either just entered their window of opportunity or is just entering their window?

Petry has a degree of choice as to his next destination with a list of 15 teams he would agree to be traded to, but would he really, at 31 (going on 32), refuse to be moved to a legitimate contender for a chance at a Cup before he retires?

And I'm not even a tanking enthusiast. I believe that Petry, at 2.75M, providing a contender with three cracks at a Cup because their current D is that much better with him than without him, can nab us a late first rounder and a quality LD prospect.

In three or four years, when we are better poised for a run at the Cup, those assets will be more valuable than Petry then and petty in the meantime.

Way too much common sense for this board here.

Reactions: mariolemieux66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad