Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Next year dcore should be Weber, Juulsen and Lernout as RHD and Kulak, Reilly, Schlemko and Mete as LHD. All under 26 and under beside Weber and Schlemko. Getting a 1st, mid round pick and a prospect for 32 years old Petry is a must for the future, as this team isn't ready to make a serious run at the cup for another 2 to 3 years.
Good post. This reminds me so much of when Habs had Souray and were not a contender but close to playoffs, and I was yelling for his trade at the deadline. f***ing nightmare. They could have got a first and very good prospect for him too. I will be so pissed if they don't deal Petry at the deadline.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Good post. This reminds me so much of when Habs had Souray and were not a contender but close to playoffs, and I was yelling for his trade at the deadline. ****ing nightmare. They could have got a first and very good prospect for him too. I will be so pissed if they don't deal Petry at the deadline.
Souray was a pending UFA. Petry has term and does not have to be a deadline deal.

I'm willing to move assets to get good NHL calibre defencemen. Petry is plan B for those assets, but plan A is a combination of Forwards and Cap Space.

If the Habs could get 2 LHD so that our top 4 D could rival Nashville, we should be able to leapfrog over them as contenders.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The first question is whether MON will want to re-sign Petry as a 34 year old and protect him at the expansion draft in Seattle. Overpay him for too much term? I wouldn't.

And I'm not even a tanking enthusiast. I believe that Petry, at 2.75M, providing a contender with three cracks at a Cup because their current D is that much better with him than without him, can nab us a late first rounder and a quality LD prospect.

In three or four years, when we are better poised for a run at the Cup, those assets will be more valuable than Petry then and petty in the meantime.

No GM can or should plan to not compete for 3-4 years. In 4 years, all of KK, Suzuki, Poehling and Brook will be off their ELCs, Domi, Gallagher, Danault and Lehkonen will have received new contracts and cap hell will be approaching. The time to start competing is now. Build now. Improve now.

If moved, Petry with three years at $2.75M should yield WAY more than a quality prospect and a late first. WAYYY more. Even at $5.5M he should fetch somewhat more.

As for the expansion draft bogeyman, don't worry about it. We will lose exactly one player, just like every other contender. If our lost player if a highly paid vet, then we'll gain the cap space to replace him.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Souray was a pending UFA. Petry has term and does not have to be a deadline deal.

I'm willing to move assets to get good NHL calibre defencemen. Petry is plan B for those assets, but plan A is a combination of Forwards and Cap Space.

If the Habs could get 2 LHD so that our top 4 D could rival Nashville, we should be able to leapfrog over them as contenders.

Not sure I want a team that is built like Nashville, not that they're bad or anything lol. I'd like to have a little more balance between the forwards and D, especially with how Price is starting to come on and play like he can. I think if we can acquire a good young LD to play alongside Shea, upgrade on what we currently have back there and then continue to add the young talent we have in the pipeline, we'll have a very solid team.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not sure I want a team that is built like Nashville, not that they're bad or anything lol. I'd like to have a little more balance between the forwards and D, especially with how Price is starting to come on and play like he can. I think if we can acquire a good young LD to play alongside Shea, upgrade on what we currently have back there and then continue to add the young talent we have in the pipeline, we'll have a very solid team.
But that is my point. If we had a D that could rival theirs, our forwards are better, thus we are more balanced and more dangerous.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

There are two options opened to the Habs. Start trading vets for high draft picks and prospects and build for 3-4 years down the line or your idea of obtaining two LHDs and going for it.. I'm in your camp but I realize both options can quickly turn into disaster.

Right now we have the 11th best offense in the league and that's without any real input from our D-men. Adding two legit top 4 LHDs would make us contenders by upgrading the defence and also adding some offence but the question is what do we give up without touching that offense? That's where MB's recent streak of good luck or good decisions has to continue and get us deals for defencemen that are comparable to the Domi and Tatar deals.

Although I have been pleasantly surprised the last year with MB's moves, I still have some doubts when it comes to him as a GM.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
But that is my point. If we had a D that could rival theirs, our forwards are better, thus we are more balanced and more dangerous.
At this point if we want to rival their D, we'd need more cap space dedicated to that area and I don't think we should do that. We currently have roughly the same amount of money allocated as they do, but that should change when Josi comes due after next year and we can move Alzner :). Although, I believe they'll move Subban after this year, so that will free up space for them.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Right now we have the 11th best offense in the league and that's without any real input from our D-men. Adding two legit top 4 LHDs would make us contenders by upgrading the defence and also adding some offence but the question is what do we give up without touching that offense?

I would leverage two of Byron, Tatar or Shaw, plus some cap space and if it is for TWO good LHD I would consider moving one of Danault, Juulsen or Fleury and of course more cap space.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
No GM can or should plan to not compete for 3-4 years. In 4 years, all of KK, Suzuki, Poehling and Brook will be off their ELCs, Domi, Gallagher, Danault and Lehkonen will have received new contracts and cap hell will be approaching. The time to start competing is now. Build now. Improve now.

If moved, Petry with three years at $2.75M should yield WAY more than a quality prospect and a late first. WAYYY more. Even at $5.5M he should fetch somewhat more.

As for the expansion draft bogeyman, don't worry about it. We will lose exactly one player, just like every other contender. If our lost player if a highly paid vet, then we'll gain the cap space to replace him.

The point is that Petry, when we are ready to compete in three or four years will no longer be the Petry you have now, or we won't be that Petry for very long still. Get a young LHD to be that Petry, only on the other side (where you have a distinct weakness in the system,). for then and for the full length of the window that will be opening up at that point.

You can disagree about the return, and that's fine, but a bluechip prospect to make the NHL at LD and a first rounder would certainly help the team going forward as early as next year. That prospect could benefit from Weber mentoring him while he can. For example, TOR's prospect, Sandin (just an example of a blue chip prospect at LD) could play alongside Weber next year. he might not be lights out yet, but that's what development is as the team matures towards being a legitimate contender. I also don't see where that would be worse than the committee playing with Weber this season?

I really don't see where I am advocating not trying to compete for 3 or 4 years. Shifting strength from the right side to the left side on D, when you have perceived depth on the right side is an attempt at strengthening the team, not weakening it.

The other option is to trade for a veteran LD, like a Brodie who is somewhat younger than Petry and will be around for longer (up to 7 years at a productive level). He'd be worth protecting at the expansion draft as well. Petry for Brodie as the important pieces in a trade with CAL, for example, might be worthwhile since Brodie is currently being used on the right side even though he is a left shot. CAL needs a RD.

Under this scenario, Brodie would be a replacement for Petry, only on the left side to balance out the team's strength on D. It would strengthen the team immediately, IMO.

In the immediate future, Brodie, then Mete, then Kulak on the depth chart for the left side would be considerably stronger than Mete, Reilly, Kulak. On the right side, it would be weaker with Weber, Juulsen, Benn, for the short term, but the near future would see Weber, Juulsen, Brook and would gravitate towards Weber, Brook, Juulsen, all with the hope that Brook could eventually be groomed to replace Weber, leaving Brook, Juulsen, Fleury down the line.

IMO, Romanov will be an NHLer, but his ceiling is still undetermined. It would end up being Brodie, Mete, Romanov or Brodie, Romanov, Mete on the left side. Significantly better than what we are currently seeing.

All of this, barring some prospect's meteoric rise through the system. I think Harris is too much of a project, for example, to slot into a future line-up.

Reactions: cphabs

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The point is that Petry, when we are ready to compete in three or four years will no longer be the Petry you have now, or we won't be that Petry for very long still. Get a young LHD to be that Petry, only on the other side (where you have a distinct weakness in the system,). for then and for the full length of the window that will be opening up at that point.

You can disagree about the return, and that's fine, but a bluechip prospect to make the NHL at LD and a first rounder would certainly help the team going forward as early as next year. That prospect could benefit from Weber mentoring him while he can. For example, TOR's prospect, Sandin (just an example of a blue chip prospect at LD) could play alongside Weber next year. he might not be lights out yet, but that's what development is as the team matures towards being a legitimate contender. I also don't see where that would be worse than the committee playing with Weber this season?

I really don't see where I am advocating not trying to compete for 3 or 4 years. Shifting strength from the right side to the left side on D, when you have perceived depth on the right side is an attempt at strengthening the team, not weakening it.

The other option is to trade for a veteran LD, like a Brodie who is somewhat younger than Petry and will be around for longer (up to 7 years at a productive level). He'd be worth protecting at the expansion draft as well. Petry for Brodie as the important pieces in a trade with CAL, for example, might be worthwhile since Brodie is currently being used on the right side even though he is a left shot. CAL needs a RD.

Under this scenario, Brodie would be a replacement for Petry, only on the left side to balance out the team's strength on D. It would strengthen the team immediately, IMO.

In the immediate future, Brodie, then Mete, then Kulak on the depth chart for the left side would be considerably stronger than Mete, Reilly, Kulak. On the right side, it would be weaker with Weber, Juulsen, Benn, for the short term, but the near future would see Weber, Juulsen, Brook and would gravitate towards Weber, Brook, Juulsen, all with the hope that Brook could eventually be groomed to replace Weber, leaving Brook, Juulsen, Fleury down the line.

IMO, Romanov will be an NHLer, but his ceiling is still undetermined. It would end up being Brodie, Mete, Romanov or Brodie, Romanov, Mete on the left side. Significantly better than what we are currently seeing.

All of this, barring some prospect's meteoric rise through the system. I think Harris is too much of a project, for example, to slot into a future line-up.

Bottom line, Petry is not part of the future and has value at its highest right now. He should be used as leverage to improve that future in the short, medium and long term.

Reactions: bsl

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

What would Calgary want in addition to Juulsen, for Brodie?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Bottom line, Petry is not part of the future and has value at its highest right now. He should be used as leverage to improve that future in the short, medium and long term.
Jeezus Price, Mark Giordano is 4 years older than Petry and his team is contending now.

The things we say to ourselves to make things harder!

Reactions: scrubadam

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I would leverage two of Byron, Tatar or Shaw, plus some cap space and if it is for TWO good LHD I would consider moving one of Danault, Juulsen or Fleury and of course more cap space.
All three players in your first group I consider essential to the spirit of this team. I'd have a hard time parting with any of them. Taking two of them would also affect the offense especially considering we only have Hudon and Armia waiting in the wings..

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Jeezus Price, Mark Giordano is 4 years older than Petry and his team is contending now.

The things we say to ourselves to make things harder!
Giordano as a career point average of .53 compare to .35 for Petry. Giordano has 7 seasons with 36 points or more, Petry has only 1, with 42 points.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Good post. This reminds me so much of when Habs had Souray and were not a contender but close to playoffs, and I was yelling for his trade at the deadline. ****ing nightmare. They could have got a first and very good prospect for him too. I will be so pissed if they don't deal Petry at the deadline.
Ya, that was a nightmare. We
Could have easily traded him for something nice.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
All three players in your first group I consider essential to the spirit of this team. I'd have a hard time parting with any of them. Taking two of them would also affect the offense especially considering we only have Hudon and Armia waiting in the wings..
Seriously im so done hearing this . ''Part of the spirit of the team'' How so? 2 of them are bottom 6 players and other one is a second liner. Where they been last year when we sucked so hard? You will say injured , but when we lose those ''spirituals players'' are also useless in terms of helping team. Anyways the only spirit team has right now its Domi scoring and Price saving games like hes been doing since hes a habs.

To be honest , if i had an offer right now to trade shaw for lets say a 2nd + 4th + id do it right away , 3.9m saved.
If we miss the playoffs Tatar should be on 1 of the players we should think to trade. Hes an okay player but hes like a streaky pacioretty but more visible when he dont score. still thats more money

For Paul Byron , I wish we did not extended him because his talent are very limited and he could be useless in a year in a half. Without his speed Byron is really useless. But if we have to keep 1 of the 3 , id keep him because hes an okay bottom 6 player.

Reactions: bsl

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Giordano as a career point average of .53 compare to .35 for Petry. Giordano has 7 seasons with 36 points or more, Petry has only 1, with 42 points.
Totally irrelevant. Your point was that Petry who just turned 31 is too old to be part of a contender in 3 years. He is not.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Petry's hitting his prime right now! But some of you somehow think he's declining or something...

Giordano has 36 points in 37 games played this year and he's 35 years old!

Petry just turned 31 a couple of weeks ago!

I can easily see this guy being a beast out there for the next 5 years.

Trading him would be foolish IMO.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Seriously im so done hearing this . ''Part of the spirit of the team'' How so? 2 of them are bottom 6 players and other one is a second liner. Where they been last year when we sucked so hard? You will say injured , but when we lose those ''spirituals players'' are also useless in terms of helping team. Anyways the only spirit team has right now its Domi scoring and Price saving games like hes been doing since hes a habs.

To be honest , if i had an offer right now to trade shaw for lets say a 2nd + 4th + id do it right away , 3.9m saved.
If we miss the playoffs Tatar should be on 1 of the players we should think to trade. Hes an okay player but hes like a streaky pacioretty but more visible when he dont score. still thats more money

For Paul Byron , I wish we did not extended him because his talent are very limited and he could be useless in a year in a half. Without his speed Byron is really useless. But if we have to keep 1 of the 3 , id keep him because hes an okay bottom 6 player.

More money for what ? To Buy a condo tour ? Don't see why we need sooo money

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Ok. Fleury, Tatar and Shaw for Brodie, UFA signing of Stone to replace the wingers.

2nd LD is UFA Gardiner.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Reactions: Belial

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
More money for what ? To Buy a condo tour ? Don't see why we need sooo money

To pay Domi and cie? If Domi keeps producing like that he'll cost a truck load of money.

You add 3 millions with Byron next season. You add potentially 4 maybe even 5 millions with Domi in 2 years. You add close to 2 millions with Petry if we decide to keep him. Another 3 millions with Gallagher in 2 years. A lot of other players will have small rise too like Lehkonen, Danault, Reilly, Mete, Juulsen, Armia. All around 1 millions raise. We don't have many players tied to a long contract. Only Weber, Byron and Drouin.

The idea that you don't have to discard bad contracts because you got a young team is imo stupid. If you got a chance to discard a bad contract do it cause you'll need this money eventually if you plan to build a contending team.

But of course since the plan in Montreal is to keep being a bubble team you're probably right it doesn't matter.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The idea that you don't have to discard bad contracts because you got a young team is imo stupid. If you got a chance to discard a bad contract do it cause you'll need this money eventually if you plan to build a contending team.

But of course since the plan in Montreal is to keep being a bubble team you're probably right it doesn't matter.
I agree the goal is to contend and not remain a bubble team.

I agree bad contracts should be discarded. That's Alzner and Schlemko if only counting those that extend beyond this year. Benn and Niemi don't come back, probably Hudon too. Trade them what for you can get.

Petry, Tatar, Shaw and Byron don't have bad contracts. We can consider hockey trades but no need to dump in those four cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: scrubadam

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I agree the goal is to contend and not remain a bubble team.

I agree bad contracts should be discarded. That's Alzner and Schlemko if only counting those that extend beyond this year. Benn and Niemi don't come back, probably Hudon too. Trade them for you can get.

Petry, Tatar, Shaw and Byron don't have bad contracts. We can consider hockey trades but no need to dump in those four cases.

It's highly debatable in the case of Shaw. In the last 35 games yeah it's okay. In the prior 2 seasons 100% a bad contract (specially for that awful playoffs run of his in 2017). 35 games is a very small sample size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad