Proposal: Jeff Petry to the Leafs

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think Enstrom or anyone else in free agency would jump at playing for Montreal, there may be more opportunity to showcase themselves for another contract there than there would be on most other teams. It worked with us and guys like parenteau

I'd let Mete especially have a turn in the AHL, let him dominate and build some confidence. Juulsen too to a lesser extent, but shield them both from the fire if that's the way it goes

Problem is I don't know if they've committed to a rough year even though it seems pretty clear they should be. I feel like with Enstrom someone who may have a shot at contending would give him a one or two year deal though. Outside of he and Nash I don't know if there's anyone worth signing and just feel they'd both have better options

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Well you only need 3 players to fill a 1st line. You named 2 already :sarcasm:. I don't think you know our prospect pool to be honest. So don't try to pretend you do. Also, you don't think Gallagher is 1st line potential? How about any of our young players under the age of 25? They will never reach their potential right?

Did I say the Habs were going to be for sure cup contenders in 2 or 3 years from now? NO! I said, we will re-surface as a young team on the rise. Tanking for lottery wins is a fools game. It's very possible to get a superstar or players who can help you win a cup with top 5 or top 10 picks.

And by the way, we have two superstars already. Price and Weber. They are no older than the Pens core. We need to add on top of them which is the problem.

You got some pent up aggression in you lol

Like I said, unlikely either gets to that point. Drouin is being played in a position where he is inadequate which is also going to hurt his ability to hit his potential, and there's just no real indication that Kotkaniemi is going to be that high end of a player, I'd be happy if he's a first liner and ecstatic if he ends up an elite 1C. As much as I like Gallagher he's better suited as a good 2nd line guy, this season was his first with 50. Look at the forward groups that have won the last few cups, that wouldn't hold a candle to it.

You keep talking about potential as if I'm writing off the Habs prospect which I'm not at all, I'm talking about elite core players that you build your team around. Outside of maybe Kotkaniemi, there's no way you can honestly say there's something in the system like that at this point.

Weber is still a good #1D, would not say he's a superstar, but doesn't look to have too many more of those years left in him and I don't think he can be depended on to be that player when Montreal can be competitive.

Sure you can get superstars with 5-10 picks but it's a hell of a lot easier with #1 or 2. With Montreal already probably having a bottom 5 roster I really don't think it would be a bad idea to try and get a high pick in a draft with so many good centers

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
As we speak today. RN. This year. Petry is better then Sandin, Dermott, Liljgren. Im not talking in 3-4 years from now. Im talking in the present. Right now for the upcoming season, and I dare one of yall to say that im wrong and if you do is because your judgment is bias. So telling me that you wouldnt give one of them to get a good RHD that will stabilize your denfend core is non sens. Its because you get attached and you let emotions run you. The truth is if Your manager think that he have a chance for the cup and in his eyes he need to upgrade his D-core then he will do it. And he'll to trade one of those 3 defenseman. If you really think you can get a #3 RHD(he will be your #1RHD) with a kapanen package you can miss me with that. Its gonna be one of them 3 defense player plus a 1st or/and 2nd
I might consider Sandin but no way I give up the other 2.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Problem is I don't know if they've committed to a rough year even though it seems pretty clear they should be. I feel like with Enstrom someone who may have a shot at contending would give him a one or two year deal though. Outside of he and Nash I don't know if there's anyone worth signing and just feel they'd both have better options
I think Enstrom would take a bigger opportunity on a worse team if he thinks he has some gas left in the tank beyond this year, better showcase

But, could go the other way if he just wants to win

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
How does 10 goals scorer shine exactly?
Brown scored 20 on his rookie season on the 3rd line in a shutdown role. His minutes were cut this season on a deep team. Kappy can barely get much minutes. It's funny most leafs fan rather keep any one of our middle six wingers and rather give up 2 2nds which mtl rather have so everything works out.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Hab fans stop mentioning Dermott..it makes no sense to trade our future defender for a 3 year rental.

We need to add defence by addition. Not add by subtraction. If we traded dermott there would still be a need a top 4 D to the leafs thread lol.

Habs fans think along the lines of mete for a 30+yr old rental who's not much better then he is as is..whether its rebuilding or competing time it doesn't make sense. Start looking at other prospects or keep petry. Either way it really doesn't matter to us if your mentioning dermott. Phone hang up.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
We cant really trade Petry now if it happen itll be a the TDL. Julssen aint ready for all that action at the start of the season with webber out. No matter what leafs fans say you'll be willing to pay the price for Petry if you think youll be able to make a good run for the cup. He'll easily be your Best or second best D-men on your team dont be petty trying to under value him. Finally We wont be among the last teams in the league for long time. We have a solid Goaltender, a #1 RHD, a #3 RHD. We have some decent bottom 6 guys. We have a couple of Quality wingers(drouin,gallagher,domi,sherback).
We probably gonna get a high 1st pick this year and next year. Give us maybe 3-4 years max then we'll be serious contender. Our prospects gonna get older. Our young player(drouin,domi,scherbak) are gonna get better. Poehling,Kotka,olafson,Ylonen etc. Will play.
And with the potential that the team will have we will be able to attract some serious free agent to complete our team.

3 or 4 years is a long time. That # 1 Dman is already 33 was starting to drop off and now has a major injury to come back from. The # 3 Dman in Petry will be long gone. That # 1 goalie is already 31 and even elite goalies start fading at 34, 35.

As Shanny & Babcock told Leafs fans there will be pain. Habs fans are fooling themselves if they don't think there will be a lot of pain over the next few years. Habs are in a terrible position compared to most other franchises to contend down the road.

Reactions: HymanLover

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I’d want the first today because there is a chance whatever team you trade it to implodes where at the deadline you aren’t getting a lottery pick. Andersen gets injured and it could b a decent pick. TDL only teams gearing up for a cup run will be trading for vets

I'm pretty sure Dubas knows that and would want lottery protection on that pick, like it's often with 1st round picks that are dealt in the summer.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
We got the best goalie in the world. One of the top RHD and a solid #3 who happens to also be a RHD.

We’ve got a very solid 3C in Danault and a tons of young, talented forwards along with Mete & Juulsen on D. What we really need to be competitive is a #1 and #2 C along with a young top LHD. We already drafted two very talented C’s who could/should fill the 1c/2c role in two years. If we do have another bad year, we will most likely find our top LHD in the next draft and that is without adding Pacioretty’s return/signing.

We don’t need to trade everyone. We don’t need to acquire top 6 C’s anymore. We just need to be patient and develop our own (which we already drafted). 2018-2019 might be a long year for Habs fan but starting 2019-2020 I think we will be very conpetitive again

Lmao. I remember being delusional. 2009-2012. Then the cold hard reality hit. Good luck with that!!

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Lmao. I remember being delusional. 2009-2012. Then the cold hard reality hit. Good luck with that!!

Two very different situation. At the time, you had no real #1G. Your top 2 D were Phaneuf and Komisarek and your offense solely relied on Kessel, KVR and Bozak with absolutely no farm whatsoever.

Altough we do need a top LHD prospect (2019 draft), be patient and develop oir recent draft picks, we are light years away from the 2009-2012 Leafs.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Two very different situation. At the time, you had no real #1G. Your top 2 D were Phaneuf and Komisarek and your offense solely relied on Kessel, KVR and Bozak with absolutely no farm whatsoever.

Altough we do need a top LHD prospect (2019 draft), be patient and develop oir recent draft picks, we are light years away from the 2009-2012 Leafs.
if you're counting Kotkaniemi and Poehling as contender level #1 & #2 centers then sure, that's a stretch though and I don't see how that would have been any different than counting Kadri as a #1C and Rielly as a #1D at the time for the Leafs. From an outside perspective the Habs are a mess

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
if you're counting Kotkaniemi and Poehling as contender level #1 & #2 centers then sure, that's a stretch though and I don't see how that would have been any different than counting Kadri as a #1C and Rielly as a #1D at the time for the Leafs. From an outside perspective the Habs are a mess

I believe Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Danault could be contender level #1, #2 and #3 C. As for the D, we can aleady count on Weber, Petry, Mete, Juulsen. We do need a top 2 LHD but I think that can be taken care of at the next draft (depending on how Kotkaniemi/Poehling progression) and if we do not trade for one. One thing is almost certain is we will have another top 10 pick next year, so we will see what our needs will be then. We also have on one of the deepest farm in the NHL at the moment so with a little bit of luck, we can probably have one or two surprise in a year or two, guys who develop faster/better than we expected.

We’re also one of the most stacked team at wings and we still have one if not the best goalie in the world and he’s only 31. Add in Pacioretty’s + Byron’s return at the TDL and we should be good to go to compete for a playoff spot in 2019-2020 and maybe be among the top 10 teams in the league in 2020-2021

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Reading some comments.... ugg

My dad was one of the biggest Habs fans... He is probably up there cursing and throwing anything that he has access too... St- Peters must be saying "Oh my god! Why did I let this guy in here!"

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I believe Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Danault could be contender level #1, #2 and #3 C. As for the D, we can aleady count on Weber, Petry, Mete, Juulsen. We do need a top 2 LHD but I think that can be taken care of at the next draft (depending on how Kotkaniemi/Poehling progression) and if we do not trade for one. One thing is almost certain is we will have another top 10 pick next year, so we will see what our needs will be then. We also have on one of the deepest farm in the NHL at the moment so with a little bit of luck, we can probably have one or two surprise in a year or two, guys who develop faster/better than we expected.

We’re also one of the most stacked team at wings and we still have one if not the best goalie in the world and he’s only 31. Add in Pacioretty’s + Byron’s return at the TDL and we should be good to go to compete for a playoff spot in 2019-2020 and maybe be among the top 10 teams in the league in 2020-2021

That's not how rebuilds work.

HymanLover

Dec 16, 2017
Toronto, ON

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Notsince67

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

"could be", sure, but you're banking on them both turning out at the peak of their potential which is very unlikely

I don't think you're stacked on the wings after you trade Pacioretty at all, you have lots of decent guys but not a lot of star power unless Drouin turns a corner. Gallagher and Domi are good 2nd liners

I think you're also taking it for granted that Weber and Price will be star level by the time the Habs have the pieces around them to compete, which ignores the performance trends for average NHL'ers for at least Weber and probably both, and ignores the injury history (or present) of both

I think you've built a perception of the Habs that's based on the best case scenarios in all capacities, which is an extremely low likelihood event

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
"could be", sure, but you're banking on them both turning out at the peak of their potential which is very unlikely

I don't think you're stacked on the wings after you trade Pacioretty at all, you have lots of decent guys but not a lot of star power unless Drouin turns a corner. Gallagher and Domi are good 2nd liners

I think you're also taking it for granted that Weber and Price will be star level by the time the Habs have the pieces around them to compete, which ignores the performance trends for average NHL'ers for at least Weber and probably both, and ignores the injury history (or present) of both

I think you've built a perception of the Habs that's based on the best case scenarios in all capacities, which is an extremely low likelihood event

So, the Leafs got out of their rebuild after drafting two winger and a center while having 0 depth, 0 other prospects and the Habs should just tank for another 3-5 while having some pieces there already but needing a little bit of tweaking and development?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
So, the Leafs got out of their rebuild after drafting two winger and a center while having 0 depth, 0 other prospects and the Habs should just tank for another 3-5 while having some pieces there already but needing a little bit of tweaking and development?

The Leafs got out of their rebuild by drafting 1 Franchise Centre and 2 Kotkaniemi level centre prospects that have turned into 1st line wings with potential to emerge as elite, while having a young top pair dman and 1B/2C already locked up on long term team friendly contracts. Outside of the core "zero depth and other prospects" lol, by the end of the year that "zero depth" will have turned out 4 top nine wingers, a top 4-5 dman, and had two other prime age top 4 dmen that were under contract.

Reactions: Raymoondo

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The Leafs rebuild didn't happen in 1 year, they drafted Nylander in 2014, Marner in 2015 and Matthews in 2016. Add to that they already had Rielly who was 20 in 2014 (Habs don't have a 20 year old Rielly) and Kadri who was 23 in 2014 (Habs don't have a 23 year old Kadri).

The Habs only saving grace right now is Price....and the hopes that Weber returns to 100%. Petry is good, but every team has 2nd pair guys. You are probably looking at a minimum of 3 years of bottom feeding, and that's not a jab, the Leafs spent a lot longer at the bottom.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The Leafs got out of their rebuild by drafting 1 Franchise Centre and 2 Kotkaniemi level centre prospects that have turned into 1st line wings with potential to emerge as elite, while having a young top pair dman and 1B/2C already locked up on long term team friendly contracts. Outside of the core "zero depth and other prospects" lol, by the end of the year that "zero depth" will have turned out 4 top nine wingers, a top 4-5 dman, and had two other prime age top 4 dmen that were under contract.

Then it’s a good thing we have a #1 RHD signed long term, a top 4 RHD and a good young RHD. We also have Mete on the left side but as I said, we’re working on that.

We got Drouin, Gallagher, Domi and Pacioretty as our top 6 wingers with Lekhonen, Hudon, Scherbak, Shaw, Armia and Byron as top 9 options with only Pacioretty and Byron being over 25 years old and that’s not counting the Kotkaniemi, Poehling Olofsson, Ikonen, Ylonen, Hillis and whatever we draft in 2019. We’ll be fine

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
3 or 4 years is a long time. That # 1 Dman is already 33 was starting to drop off and now has a major injury to come back from. The # 3 Dman in Petry will be long gone. That # 1 goalie is already 31 and even elite goalies start fading at 34, 35.

As Shanny & Babcock told Leafs fans there will be pain. Habs fans are fooling themselves if they don't think there will be a lot of pain over the next few years. Habs are in a terrible position compared to most other franchises to contend down the road.

The Habs are in for pain, but their prospect pool is actually considered amoung the higher end of the league. The biggest questions are around how Bergevin manages this team going forward. Bergevin should not be left in charge of this rebuild, but those are the cards the franchise seems to be dealt.

The sense of optimism around the team could be restored quite a bit if they were to shake up management, and with their decent draft record, and good prospect pool, they could put themselves in a less painful situation in relatively short order with the right decisions. They may not be in cup contention really soon, but watching a team of young players who will continue to get better, even competing for a playoff spot is far less painful than watching a manager fooling himself into thinking they are a trade away from contention.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The Leafs rebuild didn't happen in 1 year, they drafted Nylander in 2014, Marner in 2015 and Matthews in 2016. Add to that they already had Rielly who was 20 in 2014 (Habs don't have a 20 year old Rielly) and Kadri who was 23 in 2014 (Habs don't have a 23 year old Kadri).

The Habs only saving grace right now is Price....and the hopes that Weber returns to 100%. Petry is good, but every team has 2nd pair guys. You are probably looking at a minimum of 3 years of bottom feeding.

That’s true, but we do have Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Mete, Juulsen, Lehkonen, Poehling, Kotkaniemi, Scherbak all under 25.

Poehling is going to join us at the end of the NCAA season and if he keeps his development curve, he will be a force. After watching Kotkaniemi’s pre-season games, his progression from the development camp is already huge and while I don’t think he will crack the team this year, you’ll see how good he is at the camp and pre-season games. Add another top level prospect in 2019 and as I said, we’ll be just fine talent wise against other top teams in the east

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad