Proposal: Jeff Petry to the Leafs

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
@Baksfamous112

Your like 1 of 2 habs fans that I see on here literally defending everything to do with the habs. You really think your team would have finished so low if you guys actually had an elite cup contending team? Those teams figure a way around that stuff..like when matthews missed over 20 games we still were winning many many games.

o the injuries..o the bad save % of carry, o our best players are still young....lol expect pain and lots of it.
Leafs 2 year before: trash
Leafs 2015-2016 30th place super trash
Leafs 2016-2017 squeeked in playoffs and a great series not just a blow out.
Leafs 2017-2018 105 points reg season. Playoffs and a great series after kadri came back vs a team that finished with even more points than us.
leafs 2018-2019: 105 point season under belt, 2 playoffs under belt, JT signed, Top players havent even sniffed their prime yet.

Can you say a good chance at the cup for the next 7-10 years?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

mtl 2 years ago: one mediocore/poor season and one amazing season(even though you guys hit on sergachev..both draft positions weren't that low)
Mtl last year top 3 pick

mtl next year top 3 pick(NO playoffs like wtf id literally bet my shitty salary on that happening). 1.Tampa/2.Leafs/3.Boston/4.Wash/5.Pits are literally going to be better than you guys for a while so your only chance is 3/8 spots for a while. Then lets look at the only 3 spots you have a chance for. Columbus/newjersey and florida all put up 96-97 points last year. Thats not something you can easily overtake. IMO CLB is a guarantee as well for playoffs they just had a crazy season couple years ago as well so thats 2 spots now. Florida didn't get any older or worse they added hoffman. NJ is on the up and coming for the foreseeable future and i only see there positioning increasing.

mtl year after that top 10 pick hopefully.

Be prepared for lots of pain

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t Dermott is a #2 - #3. He may turn out to be a good top 4 D but I doubt he ever becomes top pairing quality.
There's literally no reason to believe this aside from a meaningless hunch. All signs in his development point to him trending towards top 2 and he's already capable of 2nd pair duties.

Elite edge work, high IQ in all three zones, physical (200+lbs), voted one of the best offensive defensemen in the OHL coaches poll, became the #1D at 20 years old on a historically stacked Marlies team, already the 2nd/3rd best D man defensively on the NHL roster, and then won the Calder Cup. He has no weaknesses in his game whatsoever.

The reason non-Leafs/Marlies fans think the future of Toronto's blue line is so bleak is because they don't know how good Dermott is. I said this last year, before he even played a game for the Leafs, but he was better at the AHL level than Rielly and is a more complete player at the same age.

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Who's the third 1C?

Provorov and Ghost are already top pairing defenders. Sanheim and Myers are trending that way.
I'd say its the guy who was 8th in the league over the last 2 years in scoring among centers

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
There's literally no reason to believe this aside from a meaningless hunch. All signs in his development point to him trending towards top 2 and he's already capable of 2nd pair duties.

Elite edge work, high IQ in all three zones, physical (200+lbs), voted one of the best offensive defensemen in the OHL coaches poll, became the #1D at 20 years old on a historically stacked Marlies team, already the 2nd/3rd best D man defensively on the NHL roster, and then won the Calder Cup. He has no weaknesses in his game whatsoever.

The reason non-Leafs/Marlies fans think the future of Toronto's blue line is so bleak is because they don't know how good Dermott is. I said this last year, before he even played a game for the Leafs, but he was better at the AHL level than Rielly and is a more complete player at the same age.

your selling dermott a bit high im a big fan, but he had butter soft minutes, easy comp at 16 mins a night, he should be good for top 4 next year but beyond that is a stretch. Also development isnt linear, dermott is better then rielly at the same age, but rielly is a 50 point #1 dman now, hard to say dermott will ever be that good. Also dermott does have some weakness he isnt elite in any category, his defence and hiting is up there though. And for his size id say since his skating isnt amazing(still great though) its pretty average tbh.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
your selling dermott a bit high im a big fan, but he had butter soft minutes, easy comp at 16 mins a night, he should be good for top 4 next year but beyond that is a stretch. Also development isnt linear, dermott is better then rielly at the same age, but rielly is a 50 point #1 dman now, hard to say dermott will ever be that good. Also dermott does have some weakness he isnt elite in any category, his defence and hiting is up there though. And for his size id say since his skating isnt amazing(still great though) its pretty average tbh.
Couldn't disagree more.

thepuckguru

Jan 6, 2017
@Baksfamous112

Your like 1 of 2 habs fans that I see on here literally defending everything to do with the habs. You really think your team would have finished so low if you guys actually had an elite cup contending team? Those teams figure a way around that stuff..like when matthews missed over 20 games we still were winning many many games.

o the injuries..o the bad save % of carry, o our best players are still young....lol expect pain and lots of it.
Leafs 2017-2018 105 points reg season. Playoffs and a great series after kadri came back vs a team that finished with even more points than us.
leafs 2018-2019: 105 point season under belt, 2 playoffs under belt, JT signed, Top players havent even sniffed their prime yet.

mtl 2 years ago: one mediocore/poor season and one amazing season(even though you guys hit on sergachev..both draft positions weren't that low)
Mtl last year top 3 pick

mtl next year top 3 pick(NO playoffs like wtf id literally bet my ****ty salary on that happening). 1.Tampa/2.Leafs/3.Boston/4.Wash/5.Pits are literally going to be better than you guys for a while so your only chance is 3/8 spots for a while. Then lets look at the only 3 spots you have a chance for. Columbus/newjersey and florida all put up 96-97 points last year. Thats not something you can easily overtake. IMO CLB is a guarantee as well for playoffs they just had a crazy season couple years ago as well so thats 2 spots now. Florida didn't get any older or worse they added hoffman. NJ is on the up and coming for the foreseeable future and i only see there positioning increasing.

As a leafs fan you must understand the true meaning of pain. Fifty-one years of it and counting.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
@Baksfamous112

Mtl last year top 3 pick

mtl next year top 3 pick(NO playoffs like wtf id literally bet my ****ty salary on that happening). 1.Tampa/2.Leafs/3.Boston/4.Wash/5.Pits are literally going to be better than you guys for a while so your only chance is 3/8 spots for a while. Then lets look at the only 3 spots you have a chance for. Columbus/newjersey and florida all put up 96-97 points last year. Thats not something you can easily overtake. IMO CLB is a guarantee as well for playoffs they just had a crazy season couple years ago as well so thats 2 spots now. Florida didn't get any older or worse they added hoffman. NJ is on the up and coming for the foreseeable future and i only see there positioning increasing.

This just tells me you haven’t read anything I said. Like, at all.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
This just tells me you haven’t read anything I said. Like, at all.

Honestly dude, I wish all the best for our Habs and I like to be optimistic but there is no way even I believe we're doing this rebuild in two years. That's crazy. Expecting Kotkaniemi and Poehling to be a completely ready #1/2 punch at C just two and three years after being drafted is well beyond realism. It takes time, seriously. As for the #1LD we're missing, who should be ready for those duties right out of the gate, who exactly are you expecting us to draft next year? It's not like that draft is filled with Dahlins. We are in a very early stage of the rebuild, we're still stockpiling and the hopes of contention should only come when we know what we actually have, and not just a couple of good looking prospects.

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
May be a deal to be had here if these two teams are willing to trade with each other. Would the Habs take a 1st, 2nd and a mid-level prospect? Would really like to keep our young, NHL ready forward depth if we are acquiring a 30 year old Dman.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's

Pretty sure Rielly (a great skater in his own right) said Dermott is the best skater in the system/club...

Just for the record, the habs fan I was discussing this with set the scenario as after Gardiner's contract is up, so by that point I'd be surprised if Dermott is not a 2/3 tweener.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Honestly dude, I wish all the best for our Habs and I like to be optimistic but there is no way even I believe we're doing this rebuild in two years. That's crazy. Expecting Kotkaniemi and Poehling to be a completely ready #1/2 punch at C just two and three years after being drafted is well beyond realism. It takes time, seriously. As for the #1LD we're missing, who should be ready for those duties right out of the gate, who exactly are you expecting us to draft next year? It's not like that draft is filled with Dahlins. We are in a very early stage of the rebuild, we're still stockpiling and the hopes of contention should only come when we know what we actually have, and not just a couple of good looking prospects.

They’re not going to be ready in two years but they are going to be NHL ready and contribute and at that point I expect us to fight for a playoff spot. I’ve said it many times over this thread that we’re going to be top 10 team starting 2020-2021

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
They’re not going to be ready in two years but they are going to be NHL ready and contribute and at that point I expect us to fight for a playoff spot. I’ve said it many times over this thread that we’re going to be top 10 team starting 2020-2021

You do realize them being NHL ready doesn't mean they'll be ready to lead us to the playoffs? We currently have zero top 6 centres and zero top pairing LHDs. We will have a new issue at 1LW when Patches leaves. Not all these holes have to be perfectly filled in order to compete for a playoff spot but to fill most of them in two years, and do it just by drafting, is a much tougher task than you realize. There is always a chance your scenario turns true but it requires that everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, has to go right. And unfortunately, more often that not there will be something that doesn't go as planned. We are just not in a position to hope to come out of the rebuild phase as soon as next year.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Jeff Petry could be a great fit for the Leafs.
Do you guys want him? What’s your offer?

Cap wise it doesn't work this year and certainly in the future unless the Leafs do other tweaking to get rid of cap.
Great fit for the Leafs? The Leafs do have Zaitsev and Hainsey on the right side this year. Petry would just be replacing the departed Polak. So the question can the Leafs get even production outta Ozhignov, Carrick or Holl. Maybe Dermot switches to right side. I don't think 5.5m Petry is a great fit all when all factors are considered. If it was just for on ice performance, yeah I could see a deal.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Cap wise it doesn't work this year and certainly in the future unless the Leafs do other tweaking to get rid of cap.
Great fit for the Leafs? The Leafs do have Zaitsev and Hainsey on the right side this year. Petry would just be replacing the departed Polak. So the question can the Leafs get even production outta Ozhignov, Carrick or Holl. Maybe Dermot switches to right side. I don't think 5.5m Petry is a great fit all when all factors are considered. If it was just for on ice performance, yeah I could see a deal.
I'm a Leaf fan, Petry would be our best right side defender if he was on the roster today. He's not the level of player that would be ideal to add to our D corps, I think we need a real top pairing guy, but Petry would be a really nice bandaid and likely is a #3 in the ideal scenario. There's also been lots of talk about salary retention in here with a number of Habs fans believing they could retain because they've got space and don't expect to be competitive during the term of his contract. And Petry could be had for non-roster assets which is probably not the case for guys of a top pairing caliber

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Petry is a pretty good consolation prize if the Leafs can't manage to land a dman better than Rielly.

Still gonna cost, though.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Petry is a pretty good consolation prize if the Leafs can't manage to land a dman better than Rielly.

It sure would cost because a player like Rielly would cost at least 3/4 of the whole Habs franchise.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

It's that the stupidest argument mentioning Reilly? Fact is good teams need six or seven competent NHL dmen? Leafs don't need a better Dman with Reilly, they need better Dmen than some of current players, not Reilly. Of course the misinformed always think having a a great Dman is going to bring instant success. Hasn't worked for Senators, Tampa or San Jose, with Hedman, Karlsson or Burns. And Petry isn't nearly as good as those three guys.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Pretty sure Rielly (a great skater in his own right) said Dermott is the best skater in the system/club...

Just for the record, the habs fan I was discussing this with set the scenario as after Gardiner's contract is up, so by that point I'd be surprised if Dermott is not a 2/3 tweener.
Like I said the only sure thing is dermott being a top 4d, good bet he's a 3 by the end of the year.

As for Riellys comments I haven't seen it but we know Rielly is a much better skater then dermott , gardiner too.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Funny how you call yourself a Habs fan while puking garbage on every single one of our player constantly
I don't know that poster's history, but if you look back in this thread there's a bunch of mutual talk around Sandin+2nd or Sandin+1st with retention. The post you quoted is very reasonable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad