Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Gorton's on strike one.

How he handled this season was awful.

Trading Saarela and picks for Staal. Didn't work.
Keeping Yandle without an extension in hopes that we could win the Stanley Cup. Didn't work.

Right there is a significant difference in the future asset this team will have. We lost Saarela, two picks, and whatever we could've gotten for Yandle.

Don't forget his pet project Etem was an unmitigated disaster.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don't forget his pet project Etem was an unmitigated disaster.

Thats true, but what were the consequences? We lost Hagelin, but we gained a draft pick that we used on Gropp. Not that bad, although it seems bad for the NHL team with Hagelin doing so well against us. I think the fans will eventually realize the trade wasn't that bad because of Gropp. I'm much more upset with the Staal trade, there are big consequences from that trade.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I think Gorton won't **** up in the offseason like this franchise has in the past. I think he will make the best moves that he can in regards to the contracts we have.

In terms of drafting, I'm not worried. Gordie Clark is pretty good at his job there.

The EStaal traded didn't pan out the way that the Rangers wanted. Part of that was on Gorton. Most of that was on EStaal/AV.

I'm optimistic about the next few months. Don't think there is a reason not to be.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Thats true, but what were the consequences? We lost Hagelin, but we gained a draft pick that we used on Gropp. Not that bad, although it seems bad for the NHL team with Hagelin doing so well against us. I think the fans will eventually realize the trade wasn't that bad because of Gropp. I'm much more upset with the Staal trade, there are big consequences from that trade.

Gropp is no sure thing and given our inability to develop offensive forwards, I would bet against him doing anything significant.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
You think Sather had any idea who Etem was? He's not an over the hill household name. Supposedly Gorton was really high on Etem.

They were high on Etem for a little while. Since he was drafted. So I imagine it was a combination of Sather/Gordie/Gorton/etc.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Meh the scouts were high on this guy named McD to. The GM has to rely on his amateur and professional scouts. I think the Rangers are lacking in the latter not the former but that's just me.

Also, I was at the draft and Sather looked to still be in charge, he was at the head of the table and there were an awful lot of people coming to kiss his ring.

My point is, its Gorton's show now, he hasn't been great so far but you can not judge a gm in less than a full season/offseason worth of time. I will reserve judgement, he really hasn't really put his stamp on the team in a noticeable way. One thing has to stop at this point, the trading away of young players and draft picks, it's time for those to come this way.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Miami- Yeah, agreed.

I mean, I've been critical of Gorton but he has his real job in front of him. It's not going to be easy either, all I really hope is that he at least tries to get it right. Might sound a bit "duh"-ish, but I think for GMs in this league right now there is a big risk that you kind of surrender and pick some middle road that for sure is leading nowhere because it's so hard to get something done.

I think the path for this team should be quite clear though. Aim at repairing this team next season and to compete 17/18 or 18/19, if that doesn't work, rebuild for real starting summer 19' when Hank is more or less done, our homegrown core is getting a lot older, and so forth. Any rebuild now wouldn't get us any top picks, we would be too good anyway, it would be doomed to fail.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Etem stinks and that they were high on him is very concerning.

You could tell Etem was a brainless idiot even when he played in the WHL.

Did our front office watch him at the WJC and not realize he had less hockey sense then a piece of fruit? Did they see the tweet controversy that caused the entire stadium to boo every time he touched the puck?

It's extremely concerning that they were high on Etem.

bathgate

Jun 14, 2005
My views of the trades for MSL,Yandle, and E.Staal are known. Gave up four first rounders, two second rounders, Duclair and Saarela. Incredible mismanagement that will put this team into a continual downward spiral, perhaps missing the playoffs.
Solutions are give Arizona this year's pick and look to trade some core players starting with Hank. At 34, his window is rapidly closing.Florida may be an ideal spot for him.Look to move Brassard. He is not an elite number one center. Obviously look to move M. Steal and Girardi, if possible.Depending on the return, Nash should also be in play. The Rangers may need to tal
Ken a few steps back in order to move forward

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Blind faith, or do you know something we don't?

It's not blind faith when he's said that his MO is to rebuild the farm.

The EStaal trade was a one-time thing to be nice to AV and the team to allow them "one more kick at the can." The Rangers failed spectacularly at their one chance.

Shake ups are coming.

I'm not putting my faith blindly in him. I'm putting my faith in him because of what he's stated he's going to do.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
It's not blind faith when he's said that his MO is to rebuild the farm.

The EStaal trade was a one-time thing to be nice to AV and the team to allow them "one more kick at the can." The Rangers failed spectacularly at their one chance.

Shake ups are coming.

I'm not putting my faith blindly in him. I'm putting my faith in him because of what he's stated he's going to do.

What he has said, and what he has done are completely opposite so far. Trading for Staal and failing to trade Yandle to help rebuild the system grossly contradict what he said.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
What he has said, and what he has done are completely opposite so far. Trading for Staal and failing to trade Yandle to help rebuild the system grossly contradict what he said.

Do you read? The EStaal trade was a gimme to give the Rangers their one shot. It failed. Move on. Time to shakeup.

As for not trading Yandle to rebuild the system, I think that's just an idea that some people here will cling to and project that as a failure from Gorton.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Do you read? The EStaal trade was a gimme to give the Rangers their one shot. It failed. Move on. Time to shakeup.

As for not trading Yandle to rebuild the system, I think that's just an idea that some people here will cling to and project that as a failure from Gorton.

Any time you give up three assets it's not a gimme.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Any time you give up three assets it's not a gimme.

It's a gimme considering that's the price you pay nowadays when going all-in. You can't really make those moves for cheaper.

When it works, it looks good. When it doesn't it looks awful. No middle ground.

The EStaal trade was never really going to be cheaper than that, really. Gorton relented to AV and said something along the lines of "Fine, I'll play nice, we'll give it one more go. Let's see who we can get..."

He went for it. It didn't work. And now Gorton is going to move on with his original MO, which is to rebuild the farm with picks/prospects.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Gorton was hired July 1 and the draft was June 26-27, but it's all Grotonz fault!

Sather had the final say in every single move until July 1st.

Let's judge Gorton based on this offseason. He was dealt a crappy hand to start with. He can make his mark now.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
It's a gimme considering that's the price you pay nowadays when going all-in. You can't really make those moves for cheaper.

When it works, it looks good. When it doesn't it looks awful. No middle ground.

The EStaal trade was never really going to be cheaper than that, really.

He was going to be a third line center on this team. When does a third line center get you a prospects and two 2nd round picks?

He also had to approve a trade. So the Rangers were bidding against themselves.

And I'm sorry but "When it works, it looks good. When it doesn't it looks awful." is really oversimplifying things. Stale's production and ability had been in decline. It's not surprising that it didn't get any better here.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He was going to be a third line center on this team. When does a third line center get you a prospects and two 2nd round picks?

He also had to approve a trade. So the Rangers bidding against themselves.

When he comes at 50% retained.

And I'm sorry but "When it works, it looks good. When it doesn't it looks awful." is really oversimplifying things. Stale's production and ability had been in decline. It's not surprising that it didn't get any better here.

Sure, he's in decline. But I think the issue with him while he was here was more on AV than anything.

And it's really not oversimplifying by saying that in regards to going "all-in" because that's how taking risks like that will look. Plain and simple.

Also, it seems like we're both editing/adding to our posts while the other is responding >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad