Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
There are always going to be people who like or dislike ideas, but they are not all one person.

Right now people would trade Kreider, you know who's numbers since being drafted in the same class compare to Palmieri's

Regular and playoffs
Kreider 275 games, 67G, 73A, 140 points
Palmieri 281 games, 70G, 66A, 136 points

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Palmieri? I remember when we were discussing a move with Anaheim and some people didn't feel Palmieri was worth acquiring for Girardi. That was just 2 years ago.

people were saying Palmeri and Vatanaan for Girardi and ANA fans were like LOL no. I think one of those 2 and a draft pick was fair back then. Of course would have jumped on both. I was a bigger Vatanaan fan back then although not sure how well he'd do out east. Sucks we got stuck with G and his limited NTC instead :(

Don Jaroodi*

Palmieri? I remember when we were discussing a move with Anaheim and some people didn't feel Palmieri was worth acquiring for Girardi. That was just 2 years ago.

Right now I'd trade Girardi for Christian Dube, Romun Ndur, or Pavel Brendl.

Oh, or that fat slob who we got from Atlanta who was drafted in the first round. What was his name, again? Didn't we trade Dupuis for him? Alex Bourret!!... haha BUST.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
This is going to be the trickiest trade deadline in a long time for the Rangers. They're still going to be in the hunt and after all the success of the past two seasons its tough to justify "tearing it down." However, there's a lot of signs that this roster is imploding.

Lundqvist is getting older. Boyle is done. Girardi and Staal aren't what they were. The bottom six is filled with busted top six guys who don't play defense, don't hit, and don't forecheck. Kreider is probably maxed out at this point. This roster needs Keith Yandle but we don't have the cap space to keep him.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Absolutely brutal season by Gorton. WORST since the pre-lockout days of Sather.

This bonehead failed to realize the window had closed, the defense was slower, and that we were going nowhere in the postseason. Because of that he did NOT trade Yandle which he absolutely should have, could have got back some very nice pieces to help the retool. Now he will walk at the end of the season for nothing.

To make this worse he trades for a washed up player and gives away more valuable pieces of our future, including a gem we drafted in the 3rd round just last year. Did he do any homework on Staal at all? Or just saw he used to be good from hockeydb.com? Since that trade the team played some of it's worst hockey of the season and lost home ice advantage going into the playoffs.

It's the job of the GM to realize when it's time to take the ship in a different direction, and he failed miserably with that and now we will be left with a very short postseason, and a empty cabinet of draft picks and prospects.

Sather did things right since the lockout and retooled and rebuilt the right way and we became a force in the East, Gorton played this season like a game of NHL 16.

Fire Gorton and bring in Maloney.

My rant is complete.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
He's been GM for one year, his team was coming off winning the president's trophy. NO GM would blow that up. No one. Giving it a year to see what he has is plenty fair.

Now, this upcoming off season will be a better look at what we have in Gorton.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
He's been GM for one year, his team was coming off winning the president's trophy. NO GM would blow that up. No one. Giving it a year to see what he has is plenty fair.

Agreed although to me there was no reason to make that Staal move given our current state. I understand not blowing it up but there was no reason to give up 2 2nds and Saarela considering how we played the entire year along with the fact that it didn't address any of our actual needs (defense) and that they would wind up playing him at 3rd line center anyway. That was just a horrible move both at the time and in hindsight.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Absolutely brutal season by Gorton. WORST since the pre-lockout days of Sather.

This bonehead failed to realize the window had closed, the defense was slower, and that we were going nowhere in the postseason. Because of that he did NOT trade Yandle which he absolutely should have, could have got back some very nice pieces to help the retool. Now he will walk at the end of the season for nothing.

To make this worse he trades for a washed up player and gives away more valuable pieces of our future, including a gem we drafted in the 3rd round just last year. Did he do any homework on Staal at all? Or just saw he used to be good from hockeydb.com? Since that trade the team played some of it's worst hockey of the season and lost home ice advantage going into the playoffs.

It's the job of the GM to realize when it's time to take the ship in a different direction, and he failed miserably with that and now we will be left with a very short postseason, and a empty cabinet of draft picks and prospects.

Sather did things right since the lockout and retooled and rebuilt the right way and we became a force in the East, Gorton played this season like a game of NHL 16.

Fire Gorton and bring in Maloney.

My rant is complete.

I think you're being harsh here. He inherited a very tough situation. A team that had an expectation of success. And a team with little cap flexibility,my hat had lots of wear and tear on it, few assets and a depleted farm system.

The team is older, more assets are gone and they still have cap issues.

Not sure how Don Maloney changes that

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Never said blow it up. Never even used the word rebuild.

He had two simple choices to make and he failed both. Trade Yandle to get something in return to help the team be going for the near future, and to not trade away more of the future to bring in an aging ex-star player.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I think you're being harsh here. He inherited a very tough situation. A team that had an expectation of success. And a team with little cap flexibility,my hat had lots of wear and tear on it, few assets and a depleted farm system.

The team is older, more assets are gone and they still have cap issues.

Not sure how Don Maloney changes that

And he depleted them even more. For no reason. Yes he wanted to win but he wasn't looking at the bigger picture. Getting Staal and keeping Yandle wasn't going to bring us a cup, we were nowhere near "one piece away" from it (even though i know some of the pom pom posters will come in and say we had a great chance, right on board with teams like the Caps).

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Agreed although to me there was no reason to make that Staal move given our current state. I understand not blowing it up but there was no reason to give up 2 2nds and Saarela considering how we played the entire year along with the fact that it didn't address any of our actual needs (defense) and that they would wind up playing him at 3rd line center anyway. That was just a horrible move both at the time and in hindsight.

I didn'tlike the trade myself. I think he wanted to give this group one last shot. I definitely see him making big changes , unless we miraculously turn this series around and make a run.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Never said blow it up. Never even used the word rebuild.

He had two simple choices to make and he failed both. Trade Yandle to get something in return to help the team be going for the near future, and to not trade away more of the future to bring in an aging ex-star player.

They may be simple choices to you, but they're probably a lot more difficult than you imagine. And he's the GM, not you.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Gorton has been supremely unfairly criticized this year. Give him a chance people. its not like he took over right before the draft and started making the moves. The only thing I'm question ion so far this season is the Eric Staal trade and I'm baffling myself trying to figure out if it was indeed JG who wanted this or if Sather had a bigger part in it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It's not really fair to star trashing him because of this year.

He's been with the org like 6-7 years and done so much good. He's responsible for so much of the good player selection and drafting that's led to all the success the last five years.

There's a reason Sather stepped down and forced Dolan to keep him. He'd be GM of Toronto or Boston or one of about 20-something teams would gobble him up immediately if the Rangers can him this summer.

For years it was team Sather/Gorton/Gordie.

Now it's Gorton/Gordie/Greeley.

He inherited this team and gave them one more chance. Let's see what he does this summer.

Rangers still have enough young parts to be competitive for the next few years.

If they sign the right bargain bin free agents (David Jones), can keep Yandle, get decent pieces for Nash and fix the Staal/Girardi situations, mission accomplished.

Remember, even in like 98-00 Neil Smith had good pieces, he just completely messed it up as did Sather his first few years.

You guys really want Don Maloney? The guy who drafted Jessiman, the guy who drafted Korpikoski and Montoya over so many other choices? The guy who has brought like one impact player (OEL) to Phoenix in like 8 years? Don't give me this Max Domi crap, any of us could have made that pic.

Stop being such angry NYers, realize we have a good GM who has not put his stamp on this team, and let him go to work.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC

He's been with the org like 6-7 years and done so much good. He's responsible for so much of the good player selection and drafting that's led to all the success the last five years.

There's a reason Sather stepped down and forced Dolan to keep him. He'd be GM of Toronto or Boston or one of about 20-something teams would gobble him up immediately if the Rangers can him this summer.

He inherited this team and gave them one more chance. Let's see what he does this summer.

If they sign the right bargain bin free agents (David Jones), can keep Yandle, get decent pieces for Nash and fix the Staal/Girardi situations, mission accomplished.

Remember, even in like 98-00 Neil Smith had good pieces, he just completely messed it up as did Sather his first few years.

You guys really want Don Maloney? The guy who drafted Jessiman, the guy who drafted Korpikoski and Montoya over so many other choices? The guy who has brought like one impact player (OEL) to Phoenix in like 8 years? Don't give me this Max Domi crap, any of us could have made that pic.

Stop being such angry NYers, realize we have a good GM who has not put his stamp on this team, and let him go to work.

Thank you! I find myself to be agreeing with a lot of the things you say recently :laugh:. Seriously its just funny how people acted as if this guy had a million different choices and options he could pick from.

There was a reason why he was the hottest potential hiring last year and why we turned down everybody. he was getting a job somewhere else if Sather hadn't stepped down and he would have left bc he probably honestly and rightfully so tired of waiting around. He was basically dealt a hand of ****. Not much he could have done. He built those cup winning Bruins, not the much famed and overhyped Peter Chiarelli.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
ok, fine keep Jeff - let him get another chance next summer market, but AV is history.
I don`t buy the Boston Bruins story though - I think the main reason Sather decided to remove himself as GM is due to his age in my opinion.

Last edited:

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Gorton has been supremely unfairly criticized this year. Give him a chance people. its not like he took over right before the draft and started making the moves. The only thing I'm question ion so far this season is the Eric Staal trade and I'm baffling myself trying to figure out if it was indeed JG who wanted this or if Sather had a bigger part in it.

If Gorton cant get his own way on hockey matters (assuming he didnt want Staal) over slats then he should just walk into one of the other GM positions, because there is no point having a guy who will back down like that on something that should be his decison

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
If Gorton cant get his own way on hockey matters (assuming he didnt want Staal) over slats then he should just walk into one of the other GM positions, because there is no point having a guy who will back down like that on something that should be his decison

Agreed, I was just thinking bc it wouldn't seem like a Gorts type move but he's not a guy that will take a job just to have his boss undermine him.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Agreed, I was just thinking bc it wouldn't seem like a Gorts type move but he's not a guy that will take a job just to have his boss undermine him.

Yeah its a funny one. If he made the move it shows poor foresight IMO; but if Slats made it for him it shows that he's a weak GM.

I think he has over estimated just how competitive we would be this season, am very intersted to see his offseason plan (assuming there is one)

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Yeah its a funny one. If he made the move it shows poor foresight IMO; but if Slats made it for him it shows that he's a weak GM.

I think he has over estimated just how competitive we would be this season, am very intersted to see his offseason plan (assuming there is one)

Well said and agreed. Other people need to just give him a chance.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Maybe Jensen turns out to be an option later this season or next season. He has played well in the AHL. It's not like the Rangers can't use a big forward.

Looking around the POs, I couldn't agree less with this. We need to get smaller, faster and more talented.

Gorton needs to realize what is working in the NHL right now. He isn't going to win anything with a big grinding squad. People who don't understand the game want to get guys like Backes, Lucic, Ladd and E Staal and the likes. Sure, guys like that might put a real contender over the top. Grinding is still valuable. But the core ability a team must have is the ability to play the game with the puck. To have that swagger with the puck and the ability to keep it within the team.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

How can you possibly know this? He has never been a GM before aside from being an intirm GM for a few months in Boston a decade ago. So far his GMing has left a TON to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->