Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Is there a precedent for teams in the Rangers position at the deadline (a team that was 2nd or 3rd at the time in the conference in points coming off two seasons where they went to the Cup Final and came within a period of going to the Cup Final again) that actually sold off pieces for future assets?

I get why they didn't trade Yandle. I don't necessarily agree with it based on my assessment of the team but I get it. But doubling down on Staal was completely unnecessary like you said.

Not that I can think of. The closest situation I can think of is the 06-07 Flyers. They had some reasonable playoff success from 2000 - 2006, but then in 06-07 they dealt Forsberg for futures, and dealt Zhitnik for Coburn. Wound up in last place the following season and unfortunately Chicago won the lottery and got Kane, and flipped Nashville's first back to them for Hartnell and Timmonen.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Not that I can think of. The closest situation I can think of is the 06-07 Flyers. They had some reasonable playoff success from 2000 - 2006, but then in 06-07 they dealt Forsberg for futures, and dealt Zhitnik for Coburn. Wound up in last place the following season and unfortunately Chicago won the lottery and got Kane, and flipped Nashville's first back to them for Hartnell and Timmonen.

I think you've got your years mixed up. 06-07 was the year they completely bottomed out and finished dead last only to miss out on Kane because of the lottery. It was during that season that they dealt Forsberg and Zhitnik but it was because they were clearly out of the picture.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think you've got your years mixed up. 06-07 was the year they completely bottomed out and finished dead last only to miss out on Kane because of the lottery. It was during that season that they dealt Forsberg and Zhitnik but it was because they were clearly out of the picture.

Nah, I had my year right, just totally whiffed on what you were asking me. :laugh: :help:

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
This team is not going to tear anything down. They have a goalie who should be expected to play at a high level for 3 or 4 more seasons. Their forward group is a young group with Nash the only "top 6" player who is over 30 (and he's 31 and not ancient). And the blueline group is also a relatively young group once you let Boyle leave. Girardi is the only guy over 30 (again at 31).

The safe moves would be to re-sign our RFA's, let the UFA's walk, expect McIlrath, Skjei, Lindberg and Fast to play bigger roles. Fill out the roster with this offseason's versions of Stallberg.

The big question will be how hard Gorton goes after Stamkos. It's a move every GM has to investigate. But that would involve further roster moves to provide enough cap space (trading one of Stepan or Brassard, and maybe a Dman like Staal or Girardi).

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
He was Sather's partner for years as our contender got deconstructed by terrible roster decision after terrible roster decision. He got put in charge and has continued to make the same type of terrible decisions. I have zero faith that he will do anything other than continue to mortgage the future for garbage like E. Staal to add to a team that isn't even good enough to come out of the 1st round.

Do we even have a pro scouting dept or is it all amateur scouting? based on the output I'm inclined to believe the latter

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
What exactly were your expectations for Gorton?

He inherited a depleted farm system.

He inherited a team that has gone years without a first round pick.

He inherited a team that has little cap space.

He inherited a team that has seen its blueline get very old, very quickly.

Not a ton of wiggle room to make moves.

All true which is why I think this deadline will sort of set the tone of what we are likely to see going forward.

Does he work on fixing any of that, or does he continue down the same path?
To continue these pre-deadline thoughts,

I guess the next sign on what he is going to do will be how he handles the draft and UFA season.

Draft, is he going to give this 1st round pick up? Try to acquire more picks by moving current assets?

Post draft if he ends up just letting the current UFAs walk and only qualifies the RFAs to allow arbitration to set their re-signing timeline, and saves his cap space for UFA season, I have to continue to assume he is just a continuation of Sather.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
I have a lot of faith in Gorton if he's given the green light for a total rebuild. What he did with his short time in Boston demonstrated his raw ability and talent. He made too many incredible moves to have been a fluke.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's a gimme considering that's the price you pay nowadays when going all-in. You can't really make those moves for cheaper.
Not really sure what that even means. 1) what is a "gimme"? Are you saying the trade was cheap?

2) you cannot acquire a 3rd line center for less than 2 2nd round picks and a prospect?

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
He was Sather's partner for years as our contender got deconstructed by terrible roster decision after terrible roster decision. He got put in charge and has continued to make the same type of terrible decisions. I have zero faith that he will do anything other than continue to mortgage the future for garbage like E. Staal to add to a team that isn't even good enough to come out of the 1st round.

Do we even have a pro scouting dept or is it all amateur scouting? based on the output I'm inclined to believe the latter

Gorton's first year has been pretty bad. Personally I think he overplayed his hand with Talbot, asking for the moon and the stars only to settle for some late picks....

Hagelin for Etem was a disaster of a trade.

Just read that a Canes fan couldn't understand why they wanted E. Staal, considering he hadn't played hard in years...

Makes you wonder if anyone is paying any attention to doing things right.

I can't get invested in a team that half@sses it year after year

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
on the short list for General Manager of the year? :D

obviously the players aquired are making him look REALLY GOOD. If Grabner wasnt scoring like he has been and Vesey didnt fall in our laps would we really be clamouring for this?

playing devils advocate here.......i hope that in ALL THE TIME he was Sathers right hand man, he has made the proper connections with other GM's.

IMO, it really does seem like he "hooked up" Panthers GM Tallon with McIlrath for basically nothing. Something like........"I really like this kid, and he deserves a fair shake, but my coach cant stand him". Not sure if he owed Tallon, wouldnt imagine so......now, maybe Tallon owes US something in the future?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
obviously the players aquired are making him look REALLY GOOD. If Grabner wasnt scoring like he has been and Vesey didnt fall in our laps would we really be clamouring for this?

playing devils advocate here.......i hope that in ALL THE TIME he was Sathers right hand man, he has made the proper connections with other GM's.

IMO, it really does seem like he "hooked up" Panthers GM Tallon with McIlrath for basically nothing. Something like........"I really like this kid, and he deserves a fair shake, but my coach cant stand him". Not sure if he owed Tallon, wouldnt imagine so......now, maybe Tallon owes US something in the future?

29 teams passed on McIlrath for free, so you can't really fault him on that. Zibby, Pirri & Grabner are his moves (voters will use Vesey against him) which are great moves but if he's got any shot it'll depend on his moves before the deadline and how well the team does as a result in the playoffs

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He is easily leading the pack for GM of the Year.

Everyone had this team going nowhere at the end of last season. Everyone expected it to be torn down going into a quick rebuild but still not retool.

And yet he has mad all the right moves right down to hiring Amanda Borges. (Jk, but seriousky)....but no all the way down to signing Brandon Pirri at the very end of the offseason. And we all thought why/how do we fit yet another forward. He brought in guys in such a sabermetric type way, finding guys that fit certain roles/niches that were necessary to build a strong team in all areas. And yes I give him credit for Vesey, because even if Drury played a huge role, Gorton was the one who gave Drury more responsibility last year, which included going to Russia to visit Pavel. And then again another promotion this offseason. But again it has come down to detail for Gorton.

Grabner brings back that speed and Pk ability that we lost when we dealt Hagelin. Not coincidentally our PK has been significantly better.

Pirri is a pure shooter who can bury pucks and made our PP units deeper and more lethal.

Traded Brass for Zib, who is 6 years younger and likely will produce the same if not more. He also gives us the RH shot we have been looking for on the PP, just needs to hit the net more. A bigger body as well with good skating, skill, and playmaking ability.

Vesey has been pretty outstanding for us jumping into the pro game. He has had some struggles here and there but otherwise has been very impressive with his smooth skating, vision, and great two-way game.

And even Jooris, as a depth 13th forward. A goos PKer and faceoff guy. He is the type of depth you need to have to have a successful season and potentially deep playoff run.

GM of the year thus far.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Funny thing is replace Zborovsky with Smith and thats a better defense than what the Rangers are running out there right now.

Graves and Day will be worse on the ice in the NHL (right now at least) than Staal and Holden. Clendening is a borderline NHL-er who several teams moved on from but somehow people think he will hold his own. Basically Matt Gilroy

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
If it was up to me we'd have Stralman and Yandle instead of Girardi and Staal.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
We don't even know if Gorton disagrees with AV.

If nothing else, he was either complicit in or enabled the team calling up Glass at the end of the season.

We know that.

In all honesty, I don't want my GM interfering in lineups. But, there's a point where if AV comes to GMJG and says: "I think we need Glass back up here", GMJG should be smart/tough enough to say no.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Graves and Day will be worse on the ice in the NHL (right now at least) than Staal and Holden. Clendening is a borderline NHL-er who several teams moved on from but somehow people think he will hold his own. Basically Matt Gilroy

He more than held his own this season, not sure why he can't continue that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA