Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
How can you possibly know this? He has never been a GM before aside from being an intirm GM for a few months in Boston a decade ago. So far his GMing has left a TON to be desired.

Ridiculous. He hasn't even been GM a year yet and was handed a team with terrible contracts, little cap space, no hope of signing some of the people they developed (Hagelin), and a pillaged/traded prospect pool.

Let's give the guy a few years, eh?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
How can you possibly know this? He has never been a GM before aside from being an intirm GM for a few months in Boston a decade ago. So far his GMing has left a TON to be desired.

Because he's basically been building this team side by side with Sather and Clarke the last 5-6 years. Do you really think Sather knew who Anton Stralman, John Mitchell, Marek Hrivik, etc. were?

Look at the drafting he did in Boston as well.

There's a reason the Rangers had to name him GM to keep him away from Toronto and Boston.

Let's see what he can do this summer.

Also, remember that you need skating and skill, but size and grit should never ever be ignored. I'm not advocating going for Lucic who I can see Gorton making a run for bit imaging you have a bunch of Zucs and sprinkle in a Lucic and McLIrath, that versatility can pay off.

The best move he made which not many talked about was hiring Steve Greeley. That guy is gonna have a major say in this before all is said and done.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Ridiculous. He hasn't even been GM a year yet and was handed a team with terrible contracts, little cap space, no hope of signing some of the people they developed (Hagelin), and a pillaged/traded prospect pool.

It's incredible sather got 15 years to rule with impunity and Gorton gets a year lol. Look at the contracts he left Gorton. Gorton is gonna have to pull off miracles to get rid of staal, G, Nash, glass Etc. maybe we should give him more than a year or two. I'm not high or low on Gorton but we should give him a chance after giving sather way too many chances but then again he's best buds with baby Dolan so he could do no wrong

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
It's incredible sather got 15 years to rule with impunity and Gorton gets a year lol. Look at the contracts he left Gorton. Gorton is gonna have to pull off miracles to get rid of staal, G, Nash, glass Etc. maybe we should give him more than a year or two. I'm not high or low on Gorton but we should give him a chance after giving sather way too many chances but then again he's best buds with baby Dolan so he could do no wrong

He was named GM in July. It's been 9 months. Hard to fix much of anything in that timeframe.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Looking around the POs, I couldn't agree less with this. We need to get smaller, faster and more talented.

Gorton needs to realize what is working in the NHL right now. He isn't going to win anything with a big grinding squad. People who don't understand the game want to get guys like Backes, Lucic, Ladd and E Staal and the likes. Sure, guys like that might put a real contender over the top. Grinding is still valuable. But the core ability a team must have is the ability to play the game with the puck. To have that swagger with the puck and the ability to keep it within the team.

LA won 2 Cups being a big and heavy team. They beat the Rangers in 5. Boston wasn't a skill taam. Both of those teams have gotten older. LA has given up a lot of their future to win now. It will come back to haunt them just like the Rangers. Both D cores are not close to what they used to be. Chicago wins because they have 3 franchise players. The Rangers issues began before Eric Staal. The Rangers lost 3 straight home playoff games last spring to Tampa. You were on Gorton's case last July 1 because he didn't sign the Russian guy the Penguins signed and he finished the season in Phoenix. His first official day on the job.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
LA won 2 Cups being a big and heavy team. They beat the Rangers in 5. Boston wasn't a skill taam. Both of those teams have gotten older. LA has given up a lot of their future to win now. It will come back to haunt them just like the Rangers. Both D cores are not close to what they used to be. Chicago wins because they have 3 franchise players. The Rangers issues began before Eric Staal. The Rangers lost 3 straight home playoff games last spring to Tampa. You were on Gorton's case last July 1 because he didn't sign the Russian guy the Penguins signed and he finished the season in Phoenix. His first official day on the job.

LAK had a great blueline, Doughty is a monster, Voynov a top PMD, a 6'4 franchise center, that 70s line with Toffoli that gave them great depth, great goaltending. Boston had great depth.

Still, the game has changed a lot just the last couple of years. Just look at what players and teams that are doing well in the POs. Not saying that you don't had to be able to grind, but the most effective players are without any single doubt the tenacious smaller forwards that never stops moving their feets.

And it's absolutely not the players we in NY seem to love, E Staal, Backes, Ladd. Charlie Coyle. Chris Stewert.

Also, I got on Gorton's back when I saw the depth he added this off season. STOLL, Stahlberg and Etem, and then a big big big nothing. We even had zero competition for 4th line spots. I just think he has stayed on that road so far with very questionable decisions taking the team in the wrong direction.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
http://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/la-sp-kings-sharks-elliott-20160423-column.html
Nothing the Kings did was quite good enough this season

'...his attempt to replace Voynov with Andrej Sekera cost the Kings a first-round pick for a player who was injured and left as a free agent, with no compensation to the Kings. Lombardi mortgaged the future for a run last season that never materialized, a move that could hurt the Kings for years to come."

and thats just one deal

now look back at Clowe, Marty, Yandle, E.Staal deals
Gorton may need to be clever and agressive to rebalance this roster

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Some of the decisions Gorton has to make actually aren't very hard. Some are. We're over-dramatizing the ones that aren't.

Glass-Don't need to get anything of value for him. He has one year on his contract. He goes to Hartford. End of story. This is not exiling him or sending him to Siberia for half a decade. None of this poor Glass stuff like how the league was so sad when Redden was banished to Hartford. "Oh but his teammates will be emo" Nope.

Nash-It depends on what they want back vs. how much faith they have in the other guys to produce over an 82 game season. He can be traded. Guy's puck protection skills have eroded. He's bad with the one on one battles. I've talked about it here, he's Michael Ryder now with a little bit of Jan Erixon. If you don't retain cap hit, you're not getting much back. Actually, they might have to pull a Malkhov and trade picks to get someone to take him for just picks and prospects. Not in a position to do that. You're not even getting say a Matthew Nieto or Melker Karlson and a first for Nash. That's why I proposed Bobby Ryan. You'll get the most picks and prospects back WITH taking a bad contract. Just take one that will produce more than Nash this year and it's a win. You can take on a bad contract, a Shane Prince or Brandon Prust type, and a second for Nash and that is an amazing return in my opinion.

Staal-Guy can still play. They can work around him for a year. Maybe he's in Vegas next summer. Ask him to waive but if he says no, not catastrophic.

Girardi-He's the complicated one. Will he accept a trade, retire, LTIR?

Thanks for the three years Dom Moore but time to move on. Boyle......you've had a nice career.

Staalberg and Raanta offer them small raises and if they want more, there are plenty of goalies and plugs.

Rangers in my opinion need to have a summer like 2010 where they made subtle and non sexy moves but helped move the team in the right direction; Biron, Voros for Emminger (underrated trade), Frolov (yeah, I know, it didn't work out)

Go bargain bin. Let some kids come up (Skjei, Buch, Hrivik, and later in the year maybe Graves, Tambo, Skapski, and Nieves make caemeos) and start building for the future.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Looking around the POs, I couldn't agree less with this. We need to get smaller, faster and more talented.

Gorton needs to realize what is working in the NHL right now. He isn't going to win anything with a big grinding squad. People who don't understand the game want to get guys like Backes, Lucic, Ladd and E Staal and the likes. Sure, guys like that might put a real contender over the top. Grinding is still valuable. But the core ability a team must have is the ability to play the game with the puck. To have that swagger with the puck and the ability to keep it within the team.
At the moment that may be true but the league changes so much so fast. We just need to get the most talented players we possibly can and don't worry too much about certain sizes. It's impossible to build according to trends because trends, by definition, are fleeting.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Who cares how long he has been GM, once again, you totally ignore all the FIXES he could have done and he didn't. He could have done a great job at retooling this team at the deadline and did nothing but put us in even a WORSE position now.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
He was named GM in July. It's been 9 months. Hard to fix much of anything in that timeframe.

Actually it is plenty of time to do some stuff, that he failed to do. But not failing to make things even worse. This isn't some rookie player who we can afford to make mistakes, if this guy starts ****ing up the first year then it's time to look for someone who won't.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Because he's basically been building this team side by side with Sather and Clarke the last 5-6 years. Do you really think Sather knew who Anton Stralman, John Mitchell, Marek Hrivik, etc. were?

Look at the drafting he did in Boston as well.

There's a reason the Rangers had to name him GM to keep him away from Toronto and Boston.

Let's see what he can do this summer.

Also, remember that you need skating and skill, but size and grit should never ever be ignored. I'm not advocating going for Lucic who I can see Gorton making a run for bit imaging you have a bunch of Zucs and sprinkle in a Lucic and McLIrath, that versatility can pay off.

The best move he made which not many talked about was hiring Steve Greeley. That guy is gonna have a major say in this before all is said and done.

That is pure speculation with nothing to back it up.

Love how everyone blames Sather for all these contracts, but now you are telling me he was right there with Sather helping. Hmm

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Because he's basically been building this team side by side with Sather and Clarke the last 5-6 years.
Doesn't that mean he also was involved in tearing it apart these last 2-3?
Do you really think Sather knew who Anton Stralman, John Mitchell, Marek Hrivik, etc. were?
Apparently Gorton didn't either since we let two of them walk for nothing to bring in aged garbage (unless you feel Sather went rougue on that decision) and one is in the minors instead of Tanner Glass.

This doesn't mean anything other than we kept the guy who prefers glass, Stalberg, Diaz and E Staal over Hagelin. Woop de doo.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Sather had the final say regardless of what happened the past three years. We don't know what Gorton did or did not want to happen.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Sather had the final say regardless of what happened the past three years. We don't know what Gorton did or did not want to happen.

I seriously bet this is not some innocent victim of Sather. He likely was right there OKing the same crap moves otherwise why would he have been working so closely with Sather for so long? His moves since taking over are every bit as bad (if not worse) than all the crap that's gone on recently

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm willing to give Gorton the benefit of the doubt..but I do believe e he's had a hand in the bad decisions s just as he's had a hand in the good ones...he traded Thornton from Boston for nothing...ppl say how it was the start of their winning ways...I say it was a horrible trade that worked out because of other decisions....that Thornton trade coudl have been so much better.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Dark ages are coming unless Gorton can make some magic happen this off season. I doubt he can do much with the mess he inherited trying to win now.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Having that job outright compared to sharing it is a completely different thing.

That said, he's had alot of input for a guy who's on his first year alone as the GM.

This offseason is a doozy, could be the most critical Summer in awhile.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gorton's on strike one.

How he handled this season was awful.

Trading Saarela and picks for Staal. Didn't work.
Keeping Yandle without an extension in hopes that we could win the Stanley Cup. Didn't work.

Right there is a significant difference in the future asset this team will have. We lost Saarela, two picks, and whatever we could've gotten for Yandle.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Having that job outright compared to sharing it is a completely different thing.

That said, he's had alot of input for a guy who's on his first year alone as the GM.

This offseason is a doozy, could be the most critical Summer in awhile.

it absolutely is critical. if they think they are going to reload, then we're heading into another dark age. they really need to start over, get more draft picks, and build a team around Stepan (maybe), Kreider (maybe), Buchnevich, Miller and McDonagh. EVERYONE else is available for trade. Hayes is someome id like to hold on to as well.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Who cares how long he has been GM, once again, you totally ignore all the FIXES he could have done and he didn't. He could have done a great job at retooling this team at the deadline and did nothing but put us in even a WORSE position now.

This is a new argument, and somehow an even dumber one than blaming everything on the coach

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
He was working with Sather every step of the way. I just don't see this as inherited as much as it's jointly responsible for

I don't know. There is no way to prove either side, but Sather doesn't strike me as a guy who was willing to make moves his assistant gm wants if they went against his style. A lot of the recent moves we made have Sather written all over them.

I will give Gorton 2 more seasons before I start critizing him. We will see what he does this off season.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
This is a new argument, and somehow an even dumber one than blaming everything on the coach

Great job backing up what you said.

He made two terrible choices at the deadline. And we got our ass kicked in 5 games in the playoffs. The facts speak for themselves.

And judging how much you were not happy with Staal since the trade, i'm a little surprised at your comment.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I mean did Gorton really think that a has-been like Eric Staal would put us over the top? The whole thing was odd. Gorton only made four moves that I can think of: signing Stalberg, signing Stoll (and then cutting him), trading Etem and then trading for Staal.
So other than Stalberg and Eric Staal, this was a Sather roster from top to bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad