Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
When he comes at 50% retained.

Of course they retained 50%. They wanted to trade Staal and the Staal wanted to go the Rangers and the Rangers couldn't fit his salary into their cap situation.

Sure, he's in decline. But I think the issue with him while he was here was more on AV than anything.

A declining player played like a declining player. But that's on AV?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Of course they retained 50%. They wanted to trade Staal and the Staal wanted to go the Rangers and the Rangers couldn't fit his salary into their cap situation.

Retaining salary drives up the price. We didn't trade two 2nds and Saarela for Staal. We traded two 2nds and Saarela for Staal at 50% retained. I'm confident that even though he wanted to go to the Rangers, the price was different before and after salary retention was brought into the conversation.

A declining player played like a declining player. But that's on AV?

It could be a bit of both, but his usage here wasn't the best. That's on AV.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Do you read? The EStaal trade was a gimme to give the Rangers their one shot. It failed. Move on. Time to shakeup.

As for not trading Yandle to rebuild the system, I think that's just an idea that some people here will cling to and project that as a failure from Gorton.

Yea, your right it failed. Gorton failed miserably with the trade. Anyone who has watched 3 Canes games during the year could see he wasn't a good player anymore.

And yes, half the board did want Yandle traded because they could see the team wasn't going far in the playoffs so it made no sense not to get something for him.

You have a lot of what ifs, and well maybes but nothing to even come close to backing up Gorton as a good GM so far. Only blind faith because he said a couple lines that you bought into.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
When he comes at 50% retained.

Sure, he's in decline. But I think the issue with him while he was here was more on AV than anything.

And it's really not oversimplifying by saying that in regards to going "all-in" because that's how taking risks like that will look. Plain and simple.

Also, it seems like we're both editing/adding to our posts while the other is responding >_<

Oh stop blaming AV for Eric lack of heart and production. He played a total of 3 good games with us, THREE. If he wanted to move up he should have proved something to the coaching staff instead of being dead weight out there.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I guess in the end, everything is really said and done and we don't really have any other choice than to buckle up and watch the next couple of months.

I think we can all agree that Draft Day and this offseason are going to be the huge for this teams long-term picture.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yea, your right it failed. Gorton failed miserably with the trade. Anyone who has watched 3 Canes games during the year could see he wasn't a good player anymore.

And yes, half the board did want Yandle traded because they could see the team wasn't going far in the playoffs so it made no sense not to get something for him.

You have a lot of what ifs, and well maybes but nothing to even come close to backing up Gorton as a good GM so far. Only blind faith because he said a couple lines that you bought into.

Oh stop blaming AV for Eric lack of heart and production. He played a total of 3 good games with us, THREE. If he wanted to move up he should have proved something to the coaching staff instead of being dead weight out there.

And I think you're reaching your conclusion way to fast that Gorton has been awful.

We can have our own opinions, you know.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Gorton gets a clean slate going in to this summer. This is the most crucial off-season in a long time. If he screws this one up, then we can start talking about how bad he has been.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
And I think you're reaching your conclusion way to fast that Gorton has been awful.

We can have our own opinions, you know.

I think he has been, but you are right, we are all entitled to our opinions. Hopefully he can have a great offseason and persuade me in his favor.

bathgate

Jun 14, 2005
Every decision in the last three or four years has been a disaster Not signing Stralman and signing Boyle, trading for MSL,trading for Yandle and E. Steal.
Gordon must reverse the trend starting now. There are some core players but the rest must be traded.I have no issue taking a step backwards to restock the system. I believe we have two potential goalies of the future. We need to build a future defense around the goalies. It will take a couple two or three years but willing to wait.Thr last thing I want is to for management to think the team is not in a rapid decline

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Honestly this team could have been blown up at the deadline and still made the playoffs being ousted in 5 games

All of Moore, Boyle, glass, Nash, and Yandle could have been sold off for a combined 3 1st round picks, a few late round picks, 2 good prospects, and replacement roster players.

Staal and Girardi could have at least been dangled in an attempt to gauge and acquire interest.

But no. They went for it when they knew the team realistically couldn't get anywhere.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He managed to do even less than what I expected. And I already didn't expect much

lmao

P.S. this was meant for Eric Staal thread... oops

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Gorton deserves this off season before being legitimately judged. Its a huge crossroads type of summer, so we'll see what he does.

The one complaint I do have about Gorton is the Eric Staal trade. Its just so typical Rangers. No GM, whoever it is, can bring themselves to admit that a Ranger team just isn't good enough. That an aging ex-star won't help get them over the top. There was virtually no reason to fork over assets for such a leap of faith.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Gorton deserves this off season before being legitimately judged. Its a huge crossroads type of summer, so we'll see what he does.

The one complaint I do have about Gorton is the Eric Staal trade. Its just so typical Rangers. No GM, whoever it is, can bring themselves to admit that a Ranger team just isn't good enough. That an aging ex-star won't help get them over the top. There was virtually no reason to fork over assets for such a leap of faith.

Three costly assets, that could have been used this Summer to go after legitimate young cheap talent.

From a management standpoint - lost no one from the current roster, Staal could help reignite the other Staal, player plays both wing and center, avoided him being dealt to other playoff teams, etc.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yeah I understand the staal trade and I still don't mind it...hindsight is 20 20

My issue is that we should have been sellers and gut the team then. Too late now.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Let me also say that understanding does not equal agreeing...I understand the trade...I don't agree with it

Same here. I didn't agree with it, but I understand why it was done. I was just thinking that this team better win after pissing away a chance to recoup some assets by renting Yandle out to the highest bidder.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yeah I understand the staal trade and I still don't mind it...hindsight is 20 20

My issue is that we should have been sellers and gut the team then. Too late now.

As a fan, I wanted to strip it down because I could see the odds were stacked against the team. However, from a organizational standpoint, I can see the reasoning behind giving this core one last hurrah before they break up the band. These guys have been together for a long while and have come very close to winning it all over the last several years. In fact, the disappointment they're facing right now might bring a sense of reality to some players who were thinking they had it made.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
As a fan, I wanted to strip it down because I could see the odds were stacked against the team. However, from a organizational standpoint, I can see the reasoning behind giving this core one last hurrah before they break up the band. These guys have been together for a long while and have come very close to winning it all over the last several years. In fact, the disappointment they're facing right now might bring a sense of reality to some players who were thinking they had it made.

Its funny, because it seems logical to flip the sentiment if your first 2 sentances around. The fans should be emotionally invested in the team and want to see one last hurrah, while the mangement team should be weighing up the odds and making smart decisions based on the future.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Yes. I get this.

And while this was better reasoning given the teams recent track record of success, I've seen management convince themselves that the team is a real contender at the deadline time and time again - leading to similar moves. It just happens far too many times for my liking. The writing is now clearly on the wall for Gorton to start tearing things down.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Its funny, because it seems logical to flip the sentiment if your first 2 sentances around. The fans should be emotionally invested in the team and want to see one last hurrah, while the mangement team should be weighing up the odds and making smart decisions based on the future.

You'd think so, but ah well.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yes. I get this.

And while this was better reasoning given the teams recent track record of success, I've seen management convince themselves that the team is a real contender at the deadline time and time again - leading to similar moves. It just happens far too many times for my liking. The writing is now clearly on the wall for Gorton to start tearing things down.

Sure, the franchise has a bit of an issue when it comes to properly addressing the status of the team at the deadline. However, I'm hopeful that Gorton will now have an opportunity to really put his stamp on the team, instead of making one last ditch effort to "win it for Slats" like he did this year.

I was sort of on board with the Rangers giving it one last go, but the price they paid for Staal was just so unnecessary. However, if they can start replenishing assets this summer and put the team on a new path, people will start to forget that. Just because we didn't land some futures at the deadline, it doesn't mean we can't still find Gorton & co walking up to the podium in June.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Sure, the franchise has a bit of an issue when it comes to properly addressing the status of the team at the deadline. However, I'm hopeful that Gorton will now have an opportunity to really put his stamp on the team, instead of making one last ditch effort to "win it for Slats" like he did this year.

I was sort of on board with the Rangers giving it one last go, but the price they paid for Staal was just so unnecessary. However, if they can start replenishing assets this summer and put the team on a new path, people will start to forget that. Just because we didn't land some futures at the deadline, it doesn't mean we can't still find Gorton & co walking up to the podium in June.

Is there a precedent for teams in the Rangers position at the deadline (a team that was 2nd or 3rd at the time in the conference in points coming off two seasons where they went to the Cup Final and came within a period of going to the Cup Final again) that actually sold off pieces for future assets?

I get why they didn't trade Yandle. I don't necessarily agree with it based on my assessment of the team but I get it. But doubling down on Staal was completely unnecessary like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad