Player Discussion Jeff Gorton Part II

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Like, dudeson, DeAngelo isn’t just done with the Rangers, he could be done in the NHL. No one f***ing wants him anywhere near their team.
Nah some desperate team will sign him, he will, be rehabilitated at some camp where they bang bongo drums singing kumbaya, he'll kiss Babies and vote for Bernie Sanders. Then they will find a stuffed bear in his den, then it's really over.'
But every f*** up in ADA' s life was because Gorton sucks.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Nah some desperate team will sign him, he will, be rehabilitated at some camp where they bang bongo drums singing kumbaya, he'll kiss Babies and vote for Bernie Sanders. Then they will find a stuffed bear in his den, then it's really over.'
Not even. You often hear about teams signing talented players with crap attitudes hoping that the guys have since matured. Haven’t heard that work out for anyone — but maybe Tony will be the exception. My money is on Dallas or an Alabama / Mississippi expansion team. :laugh:

Reactions: Miamipuck

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Tony's stats last season

68 games 53 points and a plus 12

4th highest scoring d-man in the NHL

let that sink in a little
Bruh,

Allow me this. Know who Kenny Rogers is? Not the baseball player, but the singer. Let me quote one of his songs.

You gotta know when to hold them. Know when to fold them. Know when to walk away. Know when to hide.

My dude, it’s time to fold ‘em and walk away.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Bruh,

Allow me this. Know who Kenny Rogers is? Not the baseball player, but the singer. Let me quote one of his songs.

You gotta know when to hold them. Know when to fold them. Know when to walk away. Know when to hide.

My dude, it’s time to fold ‘em and walk away.

This guy would blame Belichick for Aaron Hernandez ending up in prison :laugh:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Rangers were even willing to accommodate a loan to an AHL team, but none of them wanted him even on their affiliate :laugh:

isn’t an AHL team affiliated with an NHL team? Why would an NHL team want their AHL affiliate have a Ranger play for them?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Loans to other teams AHL affiliates aren't uncommon

Think we should lend out about a dozen prospects to various AHL affiliates? Maybe the Wolfpack can help develop some Bruins, Flyers and Isles too.

The idea is ridiculous but this is the NHL so i shouldn’t be surprised.

Last edited:

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I have to ask...what was the minimum contract obligation needed by the Rangers to retain/resign? Tony for this season in salary and term ?

Those that say Tony was not an offensive catalyst make themselves look really bad ...and using his small window this season as a counterargument is again borderline ridiculous . Yes...he had to be removed from the room at that time because of the incident at hand ....but it was not because of his on ice play this season . If such was the case we would have a few gone .

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I have to ask...what was the minimum contract obligation needed by the Rangers to retain/resign? Tony for this season in salary and term ?

Those that say Tony was not an offensive catalyst make themselves look really bad ...and using his small window this season as a counterargument is again borderline ridiculous . Yes...he had to be removed from the room at that time because of the incident at hand ....but it was not because of his on ice play this season . If such was the case we would have a few gone .

You mean the qualifying offer?

Since he was on a contract with a base salary of $925,000, his qualifying offer to retain his rights was $971,250 (105%). But he was arbitration eligible so they were never going to get him for that low a cap hit after the season he just had. He filed for arbitration and they agreed on a new deal before the arbitrator could rule on the case.

Looking at the numbers, I don't think the Rangers were far off of what he would have been given in arbitration, but it would have been 1 year and I don't think you can trade arbitration ruled contracts. It limits a GMs option.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
You mean the qualifying offer?

Since he was on a contract with a base salary of $925,000, his qualifying offer to retain his rights was $971,250 (105%). But he was arbitration eligible so they were never going to get him for that low a cap hit after the season he just had. He filed for arbitration and they agreed on a new deal before the arbitrator could rule on the case.

Looking at the numbers, I don't think the Rangers were far off of what he would have been given in arbitration, but it would have been 1 year and I don't think you can trade arbitration ruled contracts. It limits a GMs option.
Thanks AK...I appreciate the answer....just a bad situation all around of such a great talent who just could not harness his behavior....such a waste of natural GOD given talent we have no replacement for on our current roster for at least one more year . That stings.....

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks AK...I appreciate the answer....just a bad situation all around of such a great talent who just could not harness his behavior....such a waste of natural GOD given talent we have no replacement for on our current roster for at least one more year . That stings.....

Talent alone isn't enough. You need the right attitude, the right personality, the willingness to put in the effort.

DeAngelo has the talent to earn 50m dollars throughout the remainder of his career but that isn't happening now.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I've seen people say this is still rebuild mode. Why would we trade a 2 away to offload Staal just so we could sign strome and Johnson if we're in rebuild mode?

Only thing I can think of is expansion draft exposure but why couldn't we have signed another two vets on the cheap.

Bring in trouba and panarin too? Those are conpete mode moves. Right now we're failing. Better get turned around next year is all. I think Quinn is the primary problem tbh. Unfortunately coaching is atrocious league wide

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agree, but you would have to admit that the teams effort is awful at times. That's a leadership thing and one that needs to be fixed.
There is something to something. Not sure what the underlying reason is. But putting som on Mika falling off the cliff.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I've seen people say this is still rebuild mode. Why would we trade a 2 away to offload Staal just so we could sign strome and Johnson if we're in rebuild mode?

Only thing I can think of is expansion draft exposure but why couldn't we have signed another two vets on the cheap.

Bring in trouba and panarin too? Those are conpete mode moves. Right now we're failing. Better get turned around next year is all. I think Quinn is the primary problem tbh. Unfortunately coaching is atrocious league wide

I think you're confusing rebuilding with tanking.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Agree, but you would have to admit that the teams effort is awful at times. That's a leadership thing and one that needs to be fixed.
I think this a simple, rapid-fire answer. And one that is being easily amplified by guys like Zibanejad, Shesterkin, and Georgiev struggling, when it was supposed to be a given that those three players were going to be a given for this team. Even Panarin has not been the dominant player he was last year, game in and game out. Add in Laf and KK not putting up the gaudy numbers that help people talk smack and maybe the issue isn't leadership.

Or they're just a Messier away from being true contenders.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I think this a simple, rapid-fire answer. And one that is being easily amplified by guys like Zibanejad, Shesterkin, and Georgiev struggling, when it was supposed to be a given that those three players were going to be a given for this team. Even Panarin has not been the dominant player he was last year, game in and game out. Add in Laf and KK not putting up the gaudy numbers that help people talk smack and maybe the issue isn't leadership.

Or they're just a Messier away from being true contenders.

Sure, guys struggling happens. That, on some level, can be out of their control. But, effort is something that is in their control and if the team isn't playing hard every night, it falls on the coach. You can't win in the NHL without consistent effort. Just look at the B's yesterday. They slept through that game and got dominated by a struggling team.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Sure, guys struggling happens. That, on some level, can be out of their control. But, effort is something that is in their control and if the team isn't playing hard every night, it falls on the coach. You can't win in the NHL without consistent effort. Just look at the B's yesterday. They slept through that game and got dominated by a struggling team.
So they're a Keenan and Messier away.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
So they're a Keenan and Messier away.

Who said that? I said the team needs to learn to play with consistent effort. That is a given with any good team. I said previously that systems amongst coaches aren't all that different, so what makes a good coach? It's getting the players to commit and play for them. I'm not even saying Quinn can't be that guy. I was just stating that they haven't played with consistent effort and that needs to change.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Who said that? I said the team needs to learn to play with consistent effort. That is a given with any good team. I said previously that systems amongst coaches aren't all that different, so what makes a good coach? It's getting the players to commit and play for them. I'm not even saying Quinn can't be that guy. I was just stating that they haven't played with consistent effort and that needs to change.

It's a young team that is going to be inconsistent. I don't think that's a crazy idea.

When they actually get contributions from their top players the entire team looks different.

When a team isn't winning, the most common easy fixes are 1) coaching 2) lack of leadership or 3) tuffness. Maybe the issues have more to do with being a young team and getting little from what the perceived strengths of this team would be coming into the season....

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com

hahaha my god you ADA apologists are just mind-blowing. The very definition of children. "Noooooooo! I said and did horrible things, but being held accountable for it is Orwellian!". God I needed that laugh this afternoon. Thanks!

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
Is there a lack of leadership? When was the last time the Rangers had a team Captain? Is it because they have no one to fill that role or is it Quinn trying to be the Captain from the bench. Its a very young team that needs a leader on the ice and in the locker room to help them develop. The Messiers' are few and far between. A leader with a little tuffness wouldnt hurt either.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad