McKenzie: Jeff Carter might retire rather than accept a trade

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The idiot GM done us wrong.

Carter had just signed an 11 years deal with a NTC which kicked in a year later when he was traded to our hockey mecca. Howson (the GM) never reached out to Carter or his agent about a possible trade. When someone has just signed an 11 year deal when there's a NTC clause kicking in a year later, it would have been standard due diligence to contact the player or his rep.
Given that the reaction was literally unprecedented in recent league history, I don't think you can lean on "but I really hate Scott Howson" as a fallback position.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Given that the reaction was literally unprecedented in recent league history, I don't think you can lean on "but I really hate Scott Howson" as a fallback position.

Show me another player who signed an 11 year deal who got traded before he played a game with the team with whom he signed. There is no precedent.

You and your silly red herrings.:laugh:

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Carter played plenty of games with the Flyers. :)

Not under the 11 year deal. He played 0.

I don't know why it's so hard for you to accept that Howson botched this. It was a distinct possibility that Carter would be very unhappy with a trade-and that's what happened.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't know why it's so hard for you to accept that Howson botched this.
Easy. It's not that I think Howson didn't make a mistake; it's that his mistake is no excuse for how Carter acted. There's "unhappy with a trade" and then there's "unprecedented unprofessionalism to the point that it still casts a shadow years later." If he didn't do that, do you think McKenzie and Friedman would have made such comments?

Doug MacLean traded for plenty of guys who didn't want to stick around. But they at least were professionals about it.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
this might be a tad harsh but if I was a GM why would I even consider this guy. $5.2 Mil per year for a 60 point scorer and an absolute locker room cancer? No thanks

Reactions: DaveG

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
giphy.gif

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
it's sad, my obvious bias aside, Carts is pretty much the exact player CBJ need for their run...strong faceoffs, typically clutch goals....

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Not under the 11 year deal. He played 0.

I don't know why it's so hard for you to accept that Howson botched this. It was a distinct possibility that Carter would be very unhappy with a trade-and that's what happened.
I don't see how you can hang that on Howson.

Howson should not be contacting another team's player before he becomes a player for that team. It would fall under tampering.

The party who did wrong was Paul Holmgren by essentially blindsiding Carter after giving him an assurance he wouldn't be traded and then not being open with Howson about the situation.

Carter should have refused to report, the Jackets lobby the league to undo the trade due to this unforeseen circumstance, and then Carter either reports to Philly or has his contract terminated. If he became a free agent, he probably gets more money since his contract extension in Philly was for a hometown discount.

Looks like Carter has learned his lesson though by threatening preemptively to retire.

Last edited:
Reactions: MsMeow

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Yes, but the rumor here is that he would only retire if he is traded. It's not a situation where he decides he just can't play any more.

It's not if he gets traded his gonna retire. They said it could be a possibility that he could retire if he doesn't like the team he is being traded too. So if he goes to a team he'd be okay to play for then he'd play. But if he went to a team say like Arizona...he would contempt retirement. So it's more LA or a team he approves.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I imagine he will be an agent for his kid with hartnells wife, eventually. Can’t wait for that drama. Nylander + Lindros + Carter + Janney drama.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
It's not if he gets traded his gonna retire. They said it could be a possibility that he could retire if he doesn't like the team he is being traded too. So if he goes to a team he'd be okay to play for then he'd play. But if he went to a team say like Arizona...he would contempt retirement. So it's more LA or a team he approves.

Same thing. Sounds like he should have negotiated for a modified NMC. It's really hard to have any empathy for any player who refuses to go to any city in the NHL and get paid millions of dollars per year to play hockey. Especially when they travel so much during the season anyway, can spend the off-season wherever they like, can live like kings in any city in North America, and can retire in a few years at an extremely young age (compared to the real world) and live anywhere they want. Suck it up.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Wouldn't his value increase for some contenders? If he's willing to go there for 1 last run before he retires then there's no commitment long term. He's essentially an UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad