McKenzie: Jeff Carter might retire rather than accept a trade

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
https://www.tsn.ca/carter-could-retire-if-moved-by-kings-1.1226257

One veteran who could be on the move for Los Angeles is two-time Stanley Cup champion Jeff Carter. However, TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie said Thursday that trading Carter could be a gamble for the acquiring team, and the Kings.

"He doesn’t have no-trade protection, he loves it in L.A. and would love to stay. If he does get traded somewhere he doesn’t want to go, retirement could be an option for him. That’s why he signed that back-diving contract – he’s only leaving $7 million on the table. If he did retire, there is a cap recapture penalty that would hit the LA Kings at $3.75 million in each of the next three years."
(emphasis added)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
For the record, I'm pretty sure this is speculation by McKenzie rather than a rumor he's heard, 'cause of the way it's phrased. Still. Yikes.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Friedman heard the same thing. He talked about in a radio spot the other day. I'll try to find the link.

I wonder if there's any connection with the rumor of a trade falling through with Carolina and a Western Conference team. Carter made a ton of sense as a trade target.

Damn that makes a ton of sense. At this stage of his career, he probably values his life outside the rink more and more, and moving from LA to Raleigh is about as much of a shake up as you can get.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
so a front loaded contract for a veteran is now a backdoor ntc. nice.
Pretty sure (or at least hoping) this would be a player-specific thing. Carter has a pretty well established reputation from what he pulled over here, after all. That sort of attitude isn't exactly commonplace. (Which is the other part of why I suspect it's speculation.)

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Does he still have his house in sea isle? A return to philly or possibly ny nj or dc might be accepted.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
What happened to Carter? He has been so good so consistently. It's unusual to fall off a cliff so quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad