McKenzie: Jeff Carter might retire rather than accept a trade

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
The kings are in the same boat as the hawks. Winning all those cups catches up to those teams down the road and this is the blueprint as to falling from grace. The league wanted this and now 2 major markets that for years brought in so much revenue into the league has now dropped off.

That's the thanks these teams get, being stuck with players whom excelled and won multiple championship cups .

If they didn't want to be "stuck with them" they probably shouldn't have given them the contracts iun the first place eh?

He signed a contract. That's a commitment to the team. He should play it out as long as he is able. He wouldn't have gotten as big of a front-loaded deal if he had signed a shorter term. And the team couldn't terminate his contract early without negative cap implications. If true, it's a dick move on his part, IMO.

Yes there is a contract. Carter has 2 options: play or retire. Ownership has 2 options: keep him or buy him out. Both options are perfectly legal.

I am curious about your opinions on players being bought out though... do you get this worked up about that? Did the team not make a commitment to them?

Yes, but the rumor here is that he would only retire if he is traded. It's not a situation where he decides he just can't play any more.

There's no rule that says "you can only retire if..." If he wants to retire, he just has to notify the team that he's retiring. He's under no obligation at all to give them or anyone a reason why.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I'm a little surprised at all the negativity directed at Carter. People speculating that he could retire if he gets traded somewhere that he doesn't want to play brings out the lynch mob, wtf.

Carter has been a total professional in LA, scoring at a great clip and still sacrificing his point totals to play 200ft. He came rushing back from a serious injury to help push the team. I can understand the butt hurt CBJ fans holding a grudge, but that trade was in 2011, 7 years ago. The rest of the drive by character assassinations are probably just caused by fans of opposing teams being jealous of the recent success that he and LA have had. I'd rather he stays in LA

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I don't see how you can hang that on Howson.

Howson should not be contacting another team's player before he becomes a player for that team. It would fall under tampering.

The party who did wrong was Paul Holmgren by essentially blindsiding Carter after giving him an assurance he wouldn't be traded and then not being open with Howson about the situation.

Carter should have refused to report, the Jackets lobby the league to undo the trade due to this unforeseen circumstance, and then Carter either reports to Philly or has his contract terminated. If he became a free agent, he probably gets more money since his contract extension in Philly was for a hometown discount.

Looks like Carter has learned his lesson though by threatening preemptively to retire.

It would have been tampering if it were done without the permission of the Flyers. Howson could have asked for permission. Nice try to lay it on Holmgrem. Caveat Emptor comes to mind.

Carter's strategy worked like a charm. He got traded to a place where he was happy to play. He won 2 cups. We lost Couturier and Voracheck for Johnson and Dano. We've yet to win a stinking single playoff series.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I think people are also forgetting he is in the low years of a cap circumventing contract that likely originally intended him to retire in those years anyway. So if LA wants to trade him Carter can go back to the original plan and retire as that contact was set up to do.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Same thing. Sounds like he should have negotiated for a modified NMC. It's really hard to have any empathy for any player who refuses to go to any city in the NHL and get paid millions of dollars per year to play hockey. Especially when they travel so much during the season anyway, can spend the off-season wherever they like, can live like kings in any city in North America, and can retire in a few years at an extremely young age (compared to the real world) and live anywhere they want. Suck it up.

I believe he actually had one in the original contract he signed with philly, but he was traded before it kicked in. And both teams that traded for him, chose not to agree with such provision.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It would have been tampering if it were done without the permission of the Flyers. Howson could have asked for permission. Nice try to lay it on Holmgrem. Caveat Emptor comes to mind.

Carter's strategy worked like a charm. He got traded to a place where he was happy to play. He won 2 cups. We lost Couturier and Voracheck for Johnson and Dano. We've yet to win a stinking single playoff series.
Caveat emptor?

The GM's have professional relationships and usually don't go out of their ways to screw over other GMs and players.

Howson was totally justified in believing that if Carter had a problem Holmgren would have mentioned it.

GMs usually don't act like shady used car salesmen.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
It's whiny and unprofessional to you. But it's not unprofessional to many professional people.

Do you call owners whiny and unprofessional when they buyout a player? Isn't a contract a contract?

You're comparing two situations that aren't even the same

He's an adult and he should live up to the obligation he agreed to.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Because trades are a part of the game...he's killing his trade value to a team that treated him well. You get traded, you can report and retire after the year is over.

Exactly, not like the guy has to relocate his family for a midseason trade. Just play out the season for your new team and try to win one last cup and then call it a day. Hell, you either love the game or you don't. If it were me I'd play the next season as well and get that last 7 million, but could be nothing to Carter.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm a little surprised at all the negativity directed at Carter. People speculating that he could retire if he gets traded somewhere that he doesn't want to play brings out the lynch mob, wtf.

Carter has been a total professional in LA, scoring at a great clip and still sacrificing his point totals to play 200ft. He came rushing back from a serious injury to help push the team. I can understand the butt hurt CBJ fans holding a grudge, but that trade was in 2011, 7 years ago. The rest of the drive by character assassinations are probably just caused by fans of opposing teams being jealous of the recent success that he and LA have had. I'd rather he stays in LA
I don’t think you’ll find much of the negativity coming from us 2x Cup champ Kings fans.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Exactly, not like the guy has to relocate his family for a midseason trade. Just play out the season for your new team and try to win one last cup and then call it a day. Hell, you either love the game or you don't. If it were me I'd play the next season as well and get that last 7 million, but could be nothing to Carter.

It's actually 7 million remaining over 3 years, s0 3m next year.

But yah, I agree with you.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
If they didn't want to be "stuck with them" they probably shouldn't have given them the contracts iun the first place eh?

Yes there is a contract. Carter has 2 options: play or retire. Ownership has 2 options: keep him or buy him out. Both options are perfectly legal.

I am curious about your opinions on players being bought out though... do you get this worked up about that? Did the team not make a commitment to them?

There's no rule that says "you can only retire if..." If he wants to retire, he just has to notify the team that he's retiring. He's under no obligation at all to give them or anyone a reason why.

I have no problem with a buyout because, unless I'm mistaken, (a) the team still has to pay the player the guaranteed contract amount (it just reduces the cap hit), and (b) the player is free to go sign with another team. I don't see any problem with that. It basically means that the player gets financially rewarded for not even coming close to living up to their contract.

I never said there was a rule that restricts when he can retire. I said it's un-cool for a player to handcuff his team and kill his trade value just because he doesn't want to play in another city. When you sign a contract without a NMC, you may get traded.

Anyway, I addressed all this in another post and have nothing else really to say about it.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I have no problem with a buyout because, unless I'm mistaken, (a) the team still has to pay the player the guaranteed contract amount (it just reduces the cap hit), and (b) the player is free to go sign with another team. I don't see any problem with that. It basically means that the player gets financially rewarded for not even coming close to living up to their contract.

This is not the case. They get paid 1/3 to 2/3 of the contract amount based on age and the amount is spread out over 2x as many years

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's funny that people think he's a bad guy for taking advantage of something that everyone knew could happen all along. Yet if the guy was useless no one would care.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
At the end of the day, it's the players option if they choose to retire. I don't blame him, at this stage after winning a couple of cups he doesn't want to pack his bags again.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
At the end of the day, it's the players option if they choose to retire. I don't blame him, at this stage after winning a couple of cups he doesn't want to pack his bags again.
Yeah but it probably should have been a quiet conversation between him and the Kings management rather than putting his feelings on blast.

Then again, the last time he had such a conversation Holmgren promised him he wouldn't be moved before his NTC kicked in and then moved him 24 hours later.

Reactions: daveleaf

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

We have talked about this a lot over those seven years. I for one am a huge Jeff Carter fan. But I think it has to do with how embarrassing that quit job was.

CBJ fans should hold a grudge against him. Again, what he has been in LA is fantastic because when he wants to be Jeff Carter is a fantastic player. But what he pulled in Columbus is never coming of his permanent record nor should it. I understand people mature and Carter is a different guy. But if a guy can quit on the team the way he did and I understand his numbers aren't bad but man I wish some LA fans would turn on those Columbus games that try to debate this point. You would hardly recognize the guy you have been watching. He dogged it and that is a part of the narrative. You better make sure Carter wants to be there because the one time he didn't it was an unmitigated disaster. Everyone should be aware of that and the 30 other soon to be 31 teams towards the very end of his career should absolutely consider this when they think about Carter, they would not be doing their jobs if they weren't in my opinion.

It isn't jealousy. It happened and thus it is a part of the picture when you discuss him as a player. A great player, but a player with that baggage and he has nobody to blame but himself for it. Glad he got it back going in LA, but yes that is a huge part of his trade picture if you're the other team looking at him. Will he retire or be a malcontent is totally fair with that history. I would hope that Carter and his agent would evaluate offers that the Kings have at least. They have been good to him, he should try to return the favor if they approach him with a reasonable solution.

Last edited:

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Wouldn't his value increase for some contenders? If he's willing to go there for 1 last run before he retires then there's no commitment long term. He's essentially an UFA.

Would love to add Carter to the Jets in this situation provided we can still add a competent top 4 lhd first as that is the first priority.

A lhd and Carter could vault the Jets to favourites.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So, where's Carter's quote saying this?

Don't recall hearing or reading him say this. It's all speculation from McKenzie not words from Carter.
There isn't one. What lends it credibility as a "rumor" is the fact that it's been independently reported by Friedman as well. So either they're both thinking the same thing, or it's for real.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad