McKenzie: Jeff Carter might retire rather than accept a trade

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
no he isnt. he doesnt owe them 3 years of his life.

hes a person, not a trade chip.
No, he’s an athlete under a contract.
He signed the contract, with zero trade limitations, so he’s obligated to abide by that contract.
Just a whiny POS if he refuses to.

LA should keep him and expose him in the expansion draft.
If he doesn’t get claimed.....trade him.
Win win for the Kings.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No, he’s an athlete under a contract.
He signed the contract, with zero trade limitations, so he’s obligated to abide by that contract.
Just a whiny POS if he refuses to.

LA should keep him and expose him in the expansion draft.
If he doesn’t get claimed.....trade him.
Win win for the Kings.

The owners signed a CBA. If they wanted to try and put in "Players can't retire with years left on their deal." They should have put that in the CBA (of course, they couldn't have collectively bargained that, and it's likely it would be illegal, but hey...)

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
The owners signed a CBA. If they wanted to try and put in "Players can't retire with years left on their deal." They should have put that in the CBA (of course, they couldn't have collectively bargained that, and it's likely it would be illegal, but hey...)
If he’s just retiring, then fine.
But he’s not. He wants to use that as way of getting out of a trade he doesn’t like. It’s akin to a bratty little cry baby throwing a tantrum, taking his ball, and going home when the other kids don’t let him win or don’t play by his rules,

Reactions: CBJFan827

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If he’s just retiring, then fine.
But he’s not. He wants to use that as way of getting out of a trade he doesn’t like. It’s akin to a bratty little cry baby throwing a tantrum, taking his ball, and going home when the other kids don’t let him win or don’t play by his rules,
No, it's not akin to that at all. It's like any adult who has had a career and worked, has enough money to retire and looks at their life and professional situation and decides to.

And btw he IS playing by the rules...so yeah, nothing like that.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Carter has been professional and a good teammate in LA. It’s possible he does something like this but I’d be surprised. I think he could use it as kind of a limited no trade clause. The right team calls, and I think he won’t be concerned with retirement.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I don’t really think he is the right piece for the Bruins but it seems he is linked to Boston in most trade rumors. What do kings fans think is a realistic asking price?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yeah he can. But it is whiny and not very professional. Not that he would care but a contract is a contract.
It's whiny and unprofessional to you. But it's not unprofessional to many professional people.

Do you call owners whiny and unprofessional when they buyout a player? Isn't a contract a contract?

Reactions: Spazkat

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Take the name "Jeff Carter" out of the equation for one minute and consider that we are talking about a soon to be 34 year-old with 3 years left at a $5.27 million per. Then consider that the player has 2 ES goals in 34 games this year (one of which the goalie put in himself). With these kind of numbers, we should be talking about the Kings trying to trade him as cap dump for scraps and be lucky to find a taker.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
no he isnt. he doesnt owe them 3 years of his life.

hes a person, not a trade chip.
Yes, he is a person. A person who signed a written agreement to play 3 more years of hockey for the Kings or any other team they trade him to. He did not negotiate any kind of no movement clause. Based on his agreement, the Kings paid him a lot of money - including millions of front-loaded dollars. So yes, he does actually owe them 3 years of his life (well, his hockey life anyway). That's exactly what he agreed to.

I understand that we have the Thirteenth Amendment, which outlawed slavery. The Kings cannot make Carter play out his contract. That's not my point. My point is that it is dick-ish for a player who did not negotiate a NMC to refuse to play if he is traded after he has received a lot of money (and success) from his team.

Reactions: DFC and stl76

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
It's whiny and unprofessional to you. But it's not unprofessional to many professional people.

Do you call owners whiny and unprofessional when they buyout a player? Isn't a contract a contract?

First of all: I have absolutely no problem if he retires. It's his right.

And it is regulated in the CBA. GMs know the risk (or atleast should know) that especially a player on a lengthy contract into the mid-30s could retire if he wants to.

Same goes for buy-outs. They are in the CBA and players know the risk, that they might be bought out if they underperform.

But what Jeff Carter is trying to do here is to circuvment the fact the he does not a NTC. Which, if it is that important to him, he should have put into the contract. Or not sign this contract. But he did. And he is now trying to force a NTC without having one. It's like "I didn't know that I wanted it but now I want it, so give it to me". Which is his "right" (given how the CBA is structured it would work) but is still unprofessional.

Not the fact he wants to retire at all.

Reactions: Jamin

member 88115

First of all: I have absolutely no problem if he retires. It's his right.

And it is regulated in the CBA. GMs know the risk (or atleast should know) that especially a player on a lengthy contract into the mid-30s could retire if he wants to.

Same goes for buy-outs. They are in the CBA and players know the risk, that they might be bought out if they underperform.

But what Jeff Carter is trying to do here is to circuvment the fact the he does not a NTC. Which, if it is that important to him, he should have put into the contract. Or not sign this contract. But he did. And he is now trying to force a NTC without having one. It's like "I didn't know that I wanted it but now I want it, so give it to me". Which is his "right" (given how the CBA is structured it would work) but is still unprofessional.

Not the fact he wants to retire at all.
You should read the article before you go talking about Carter trying to do something. Nothing has come out of Carter end about what he would do if traded. Those front loaded contracts are made that way so if he wanted to retire because he can no longer play, he would not leave a lot of dollars in the table.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The Kings like the Blackhawks are now irrelevant, so who cares. Carter can retire if he wants, just like any other player. Players have free will, even with contract.

And the poster who started this thread is the president of the "I WILL NEVER FORGIVE CARTER" fan club. If you read the article, that is an option Carter has if he does not like were he is traded since his contract was front loaded.
Oh, c'mon, let's be fair. I'm not the president. I might be the treasurer, acting secretary, and Community Outreach Director, but I'm not the president. ;)

In all seriousness, I can and would forgive him; it'd just require that he acknowledge He Did Us Wrong. At this rate I don't think that's going to happen, but hope springs eternal.

Reactions: kingsofLA

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
You should read the article before you go talking about Carter trying to do something. Nothing has come out of Carter end about what he would do if traded. Those front loaded contracts are made that way so if he wanted to retire because he can no longer play, he would not leave a lot of dollars in the table.

It was more a general reply to a situation like that. Not saying, Carter will pull something like this off.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

Yes, but the rumor here is that he would only retire if he is traded. It's not a situation where he decides he just can't play any more.

Reactions: Jamin

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Oh, c'mon, let's be fair. I'm not the president. I might be the treasurer, acting secretary, and Community Outreach Director, but I'm not the president. ;)

In all seriousness, I can and would forgive him; it'd just require that he acknowledge He Did Us Wrong. At this rate I don't think that's going to happen, but hope springs eternal.

The idiot GM done us wrong.

Carter had just signed an 11 years deal with a NTC which kicked in a year later when he was traded to our hockey mecca. Howson (the GM) never reached out to Carter or his agent about a possible trade. When someone has just signed an 11 year deal when there's a NTC clause kicking in a year later, it would have been standard due diligence to contact the player or his rep.

Reactions: MsMeow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad