McKenzie: Jeff Carter might retire rather than accept a trade

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Wouldn't his value increase for some contenders? If he's willing to go there for 1 last run before he retires then there's no commitment long term. He's essentially an UFA.

It wouldn't be bad for the acquiring team but wouldn't it put the Kings on the hook for the recapture penalty? If so, it would make such a trade very undesirable from an LA POV.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
There isn't one. What lends it credibility as a "rumor" is the fact that it's been independently reported by Friedman as well. So either they're both thinking the same thing, or it's for real.

So, Carter never said this? Just speculation from some reporters doing their due diligence of players with NMC's, which Carter doesn't have.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
so a front loaded contract for a veteran is now a backdoor ntc. nice.

Sounds like a baby.

I think you have to remember when he signed his current contract, it was at a home town discount for the Flyers. The Flyers then shipped him off before the contract kicked in. When that happened, I think it was him or Richards who said he wouldn't have signed such a long contract if he knew he would be traded like that.

Regardless, you have to think he feels a bit burned from that experience. And at this stage in his career, he's probably comfortable and doesn't want to be packing his suitcase year after year at the deadline like say Vanek. So he's exercising what little control he has because he doesn't have a NMC. It's his life and his right.

What happened to Carter with the Flyers is what Nylander was afraid would happen to him with TO. Sign a team friendly contract and then get traded.

Reactions: MsMeow

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So, Carter never said this? Just speculation from some reporters doing their due diligence of players with NMC's, which Carter doesn't have.
He hasn't said such in public, no. I started out pretty sure that it was speculation. Hearing it reported from multiple guys with decent reputations for rumor sharing, however, has me reconsidering.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
We have talked about this a lot over those seven years. I for one am a huge Jeff Carter fan. But I think it has to do with how embarrassing that quit job was.

CBJ fans should hold a grudge against him. Again, what he has been in LA is fantastic because when he wants to be Jeff Carter is a fantastic player. But what he pulled in Columbus is never coming of his permanent record nor should it. I understand people mature and Carter is a different guy. But if a guy can quit on the team the way he did and I understand his numbers aren't bad but man I wish some LA fans would turn on those Columbus games that try to debate this point. You would hardly recognize the guy you have been watching. He dogged it and that is a part of the narrative. You better make sure Carter wants to be there because the one time he didn't it was an unmitigated disaster. Everyone should be aware of that and the 30 other soon to be 31 teams towards the very end of his career should absolutely consider this when they think about Carter, they would not be doing their jobs if they weren't in my opinion.

It isn't jealousy. It happened and thus it is a part of the picture when you discuss him as a player. A great player, but a player with that baggage and he has nobody to blame but himself for it. Glad he got it back going in LA, but yes that is a huge part of his trade picture if you're the other team looking at him. Will he retire or be a malcontent is totally fair with that history. I would hope that Carter and his agent would evaluate offers that the Kings have at least. They have been good to him, he should try to return the favor if they approach him with a reasonable solution.

Thank you.

People are complex. Carter can be both a good teammate in LA and a bad one in Columbus. The fact that he plays well when he gets his way does not negate the fact that he didn't play well when he wasn't getting his way. Both things are true. And it's still a fair question for his career going forward.

Still, Scott Howson's fault though. Definitely.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
He hasn't said such in public, no. I started out pretty sure that it was speculation. Hearing it reported from multiple guys with decent reputations for rumor sharing, however, has me reconsidering.

You don't just think that they are piggybacking because the recapture risk is a cool story?

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What even is his trade value at this point if he were to be dealt assuming he would actually play and not sulk his way out of town?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You don't just think that they are piggybacking because the recapture risk is a cool story?
Some almost certainly are. But McKenzie generally isn't the piggybacking type, and he seems to have come after Friedman. That doesn't rule out "it's all piggybacking" entirely, but it does make it seem much less likely.

Of course, it could also be that they both independently had the same thought and thus came up with the same speculation around the same time. No real way to know.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You're comparing two situations that aren't even the same

He's an adult and he should live up to the obligation he agreed to.
Of course it applies.

GMs and Owners are adults and should live up to the obligation they agree to.

Please explain how one party ending a contract early (as per its rights given in the CBA) is different from another party ending a contract early (as per its rights given in the CBA)?

Your post showed zero differentiation.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Correct. Carter never said anything of this. It's just stupid speculation... they said he could retire if he wanted to.
Johnny Carson style:
Jeff Carter is so whiny!
How whiny is he?
He's so whiny that he whines without even saying anything.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Some almost certainly are. But McKenzie generally isn't the piggybacking type, and he seems to have come after Friedman. That doesn't rule out "it's all piggybacking" entirely, but it does make it seem much less likely.

Of course, it could also be that they both independently had the same thought and thus came up with the same speculation around the same time. No real way to know.

Its a pretty common sense conclusion though, the final years on these contracts were included with the expectation that early retirement was highly likely. Zetterberg and Hossa just did it. You don't need to be a rocket surgeon to figure out that its a possibility. I've independently entertained the thought before and I'm a dumbass.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Correct. Carter never said anything of this. It's just stupid speculation... they said he could retire if he wanted to.

But so could everyone essentially. If that's hte case, they should be saying this after after player is traded

more lazy, stupid reporting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad