Jeff Blashill (mod warning post #44)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
And what's your point?

I wrote top 3. We all know there is no guarantee to get 1st overall. The league has done this so the team do not lose on purpose, the teams have to compete. However you cant find core players without picking top 3.
You are absolutely right team needs to compete and not tank .

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
10 wins 41 games which is half the season. Yah he really deserves to keep his job :huh:

It has to be a Blashill burner account because this has to be the worst coaching job I've ever seen. The Red Wings aren't a good team but no way should they be this bad. A 2 on 0 while on the PP is unbelievable last night. Unreal. This guy could be a person a team hires if they want to get the #1 pick.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I expect some moves from Yzerman next week, there is plenty coaches to choose from. Larkin have never been so boring. I don't remember D or Z had bad season. And probably Babcock had something to do with it. Anyway , just bring someone new

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Leafs are doing so much better now. Who would have thunk that removing a toxic dimwit would make so much of a difference?
Only one Cup in 10 years with the most stacked team since the cap has been implemented is a travesty and people still considered him the best in the business. Lofl.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
The Red Wings started 3-1 and since then they are 7-28-3. Thats a winning percentage of .223 and a season winning % of .274

2019 .354 Ottawa
2018 .341 Buffalo
2017 .244 Colorado
2016 .360 Edmonton
2015 .274 Buffalo
2014 .256 Buffalo
2013 .292 Florida
2012 .360 Columbus
2011 .354 Edmonton
2010 .323 Edmonton

These are the worst teams of the last 10 years. We may eclipse Colorado.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I expect some moves from Yzerman next week, there is plenty coaches to choose from. Larkin have never been so boring. I don't remember D or Z had bad season. And probably Babcock had something to do with it. Anyway , just bring someone new

I think Athanasiou could be traded before the Montreal game.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Blashill needs to be fired for this franchise's sake. Never have I watched such boring and crappy NHL hockey in my lifetime. Fans are going to stop showing up at the arena altogether if this continues for another month or two.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Yeah, no reason to be historically bad. I mean being the worst team by a couple of games gets you the same odds as being the worst team by 20 points.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Jackets lost 3 key players after they barely made play-off last year . They still have double amount of points than us

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Leafs are doing so much better now. Who would have thunk that removing a toxic dimwit would make so much of a difference?
Only one Cup in 10 years with the most stacked team since the cap has been implemented is a travesty and people still considered him the best in the business. Lofl.
I'd say the biggest difference is that the Leafs had the talent to be doing this before Babcock was fired, the Red Wings have the talent to be one of the worst teams in the league regardless of coach.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Is he on the IR?

Not sure why he isnt, Rotoworld is reporting the following:

Andreas Athanasiou is dealing with a lower-body injury.

Athanasiou will likely miss the next two-to-three weeks as a result. He has five goals and 19 points in 36 contests in 2019-20.
SOURCE: Dana Wakiji on Twitter
Dec 31, 2019, 11:22 AM ET

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Not sure why he isnt, Rotoworld is reporting the following:

Andreas Athanasiou is dealing with a lower-body injury.

Athanasiou will likely miss the next two-to-three weeks as a result. He has five goals and 19 points in 36 contests in 2019-20.
SOURCE: Dana Wakiji on Twitter
Dec 31, 2019, 11:22 AM ET

Yeah.
I think it's weird he's not on IR given he's supposed to miss 2-3 weeks.
Last time he was out 2-3 games and on IR.
I think something could be up.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yeah.
I think it's weird he's not on IR given he's supposed to miss 2-3 weeks.
Last time he was out 2-3 games and on IR.
I think something could be up.
They did that retroactively, though. He missed 2 games then they put him on retroactive IR for 2 weeks prior. He could still go on IR.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I'd say the biggest difference is that the Leafs had the talent to be doing this before Babcock was fired, the Red Wings have the talent to be one of the worst teams in the league regardless of coach.
That's based on viewing the talent playing for that coach and "one of the worst" is much different than "by far the worst".
Erne scored 7 goals and 20 points in 65 games last year on the 4th line in TB Perlini scored 12 goals in 43 games (that's 20+ goal pace) last year with the Hawks, he is yet to score one with the Wings in 23 and only has 2 assists. Filppula scoredf 17 goals last year. They weren't great but they were serviceable NHL players, now they have 5 goals between them in 97 games
We don't know what kind of numbers other Wing players could score without a dumb f*** behind the bench.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I’m not sure where I am with Blashill. Clearly the team has not played well, but what kind of expectations did we really have?

I’m also not a fan of burning through coaches. There is something to be said about stability. So for these reasons I tend to think let him ride it out.

that said, I’m assuming the players are still listening to him and haven’t tuned him out. If that’s not the case, then a change may be needed.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I’m not sure where I am with Blashill. Clearly the team has not played well, but what kind of expectations did we really have?

I’m also not a fan of burning through coaches. There is something to be said about stability. So for these reasons I tend to think let him ride it out.

that said, I’m assuming the players are still listening to him and haven’t tuned him out. If that’s not the case, then a change may be needed.

Clearly the team has not played well, but what kind of expectations did we really have?

Higher than what we are currently seeing. 23 points in 42 games? You fire the coach on principle alone.
Ask me what the lowest point totals I thought the Wings could finish with at the beginning of the season and sub 50 was not even close to on my radar. My expectations were much higher than what we are seeing.

Yes we are rebuilding and lack talent but this does not excuse the poor job Blashill has been doing.

Blashill has been here since 2015. Changing a coach after 5 years is hardly burning through them.
I think we need accountability, and if you hold people accountable I think stability will follow.

Blashill has to go like yesterday. He seems to be safe this season and I've accepted that but I hope Yzerman makes a change this offseason. Blashill is not a good NHL coach and he has the record to back up my statement.

I think players have tuned him out. Maybe not some of the younger guys (Fabbri, Zadina) but the older vets seem to not care about playing his system at all. Larkin & AA have regressed this year, Nielsen, Green, Daley all look worse than last year.

You could just blame it on the player or their lack of talent as individuals but it's the coaches job to find ways to maximize the talent he has available. Blashill seems to find ways to minimize the talent available to him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I think players have tuned him out. Maybe not some of the younger guys (Fabbri, Zadina) but the older vets seem to not care about playing his system at all. Larkin & AA have regressed this year, Nielsen, Green, Daley all look worse than last year.

You could just blame it on the player or their lack of talent as individuals but it's the coaches job to find ways to maximize the talent he has available. Blashill seems to find ways to minimize the talent available to him.

I think it's Blashill trying to run a system he doesn't have the personnel for. Which isn't a huge knock against him considering all of the coaches who have come and gone with varying levels of success who leaned hard into whatever their favorite systems are. Part of keeping Blashill is probably the Wings saying what sort of system they want to be geared towards moving forward. At some point the Wings are going to have to either work harder towards getting those players in place or go in a different direction that will work with what we do have.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I think it's Blashill trying to run a system he doesn't have the personnel for. Which isn't a huge knock against him considering all of the coaches who have come and gone with varying levels of success who leaned hard into whatever their favorite systems are. Part of keeping Blashill is probably the Wings saying what sort of system they want to be geared towards moving forward. At some point the Wings are going to have to either work harder towards getting those players in place or go in a different direction that will work with what we do have.

I agree that Blashill is trying to run a specific system, perhaps even a system management wants him to run.
I also agree that he lacks the correct players to run said system. I contest that he lacks the ability to utilize the personnel he does have.

I look at it this way : With the squad we have we are a bottom tier team. Let's say for the sake of argument we are in fact the worst team in the NHL. Being the worst team ( in my opinion ) does not excuse the losing streaks we have seen this season. It's not like we are losing games 6-4 or 4-2, we are getting smashed multiple games in a row.
Adjustments need to be made at that point to the system you're running. 8 and 12 game losing streaks are not acceptable. All Hockey systems are fluid because Hockey is not a set play game like football.
So either Blashill is too daft to make changes to his system, or he has made changes but they have not worked.
Either case is a sign of a bad coach.

I disagree with your last statement that the Wings need to get Blashill better players. Obviously Detroit needs better players, and it's also obvious that with better players Blashill would have a better record.

I'm saying that he can not use players properly, he lacks the ability at the NHL level to adapt to what he is given.
Giving him McDavid and Crosby would only mask the problem and cost us in the playoffs. Kind of like Babcock.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Clearly the team has not played well, but what kind of expectations did we really have?

Higher than what we are currently seeing. 23 points in 42 games? You fire the coach on principle alone.
Ask me what the lowest point totals I thought the Wings could finish with at the beginning of the season and sub 50 was not even close to on my radar. My expectations were much higher than what we are seeing.

Yes we are rebuilding and lack talent but this does not excuse the poor job Blashill has been doing.

Blashill has been here since 2015. Changing a coach after 5 years is hardly burning through them.
I think we need accountability, and if you hold people accountable I think stability will follow.

Blashill has to go like yesterday. He seems to be safe this season and I've accepted that but I hope Yzerman makes a change this offseason. Blashill is not a good NHL coach and he has the record to back up my statement.

Lol. I am pretty sure he is the longest tenured coach in the league.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
The only reason Blashill is behind ther bench still is for tanking purposes. I expect a change soon.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I agree that Blashill is trying to run a specific system, perhaps even a system management wants him to run.
I also agree that he lacks the correct players to run said system. I contest that he lacks the ability to utilize the personnel he does have.

I look at it this way : With the squad we have we are a bottom tier team. Let's say for the sake of argument we are in fact the worst team in the NHL. Being the worst team ( in my opinion ) does not excuse the losing streaks we have seen this season. It's not like we are losing games 6-4 or 4-2, we are getting smashed multiple games in a row.
Adjustments need to be made at that point to the system you're running. 8 and 12 game losing streaks are not acceptable. All Hockey systems are fluid because Hockey is not a set play game like football.
So either Blashill is too daft to make changes to his system, or he has made changes but they have not worked.
Either case is a sign of a bad coach.

I disagree with your last statement that the Wings need to get Blashill better players. Obviously Detroit needs better players, and it's also obvious that with better players Blashill would have a better record.

I'm saying that he can not use players properly, he lacks the ability at the NHL level to adapt to what he is given.
Giving him McDavid and Crosby would only mask the problem and cost us in the playoffs. Kind of like Babcock.
I bet the Leafs win a playoff series for the first time in 14 years now.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad