Jeff Blashill (mod warning post #44)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Heck, I get sent to HR all the time, including once for cussing out my coworkers at a bar. Doesn't mean I'm not a good engineer.

I'd be OK as long as he's not head coach. Hire him as an advisor or assistant coach (fire Disco?). This team needs coaching help.

I would too depending on what he did. If he said a bad word 10 years ago, then I don't think you deserved to be fired personally, unless that is a continued way of talking.

MintBerryCrunch

Aug 20, 2014
Auburn Hills
If the goal differential wasn't sad enough, being outscored by 1.94 goals per game, when you only look at the games we've lost, we're losing by 2.92 goal per game. Insane.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
LOL the quintessential do something just to do something response to adversity. The key exercise here is patience not frustration. There is no need to change the coach unless the person coming in is Yzerman's pick for the next 4-5 years. We don't need an interim coach that is going to put up exactly the same results.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
LOL the quintessential do something just to do something response to adversity. The key exercise here is patience not frustration. There is no need to change the coach unless the person coming in is Yzerman's pick for the next 4-5 years. We don't need an interim coach that is going to put up exactly the same results.

We need an interim coach to stop the bleeding.
Get us to a 15-25-10 finish... losing by 1G instead of 3G and 4G

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
two of the five coaches with longer tenure than Blashill were among those fired too

just Cooper,Maurice,and Laviolette left now until he's literally the longest serving coach in the league

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
DeBoer is a worthy candidate in my opinion. Not sure if he would listen...
His $3M/yr contract runs through next season. I assume it's guaranteed, since that's the way it seems to be in the NHL. I don't see him taking an offer unless it includes next season for the same price.

I'm sure he can run the PP better (or hire someone better), but defensively SJ was a bigger cluster f. They actually have NHL caliber defenmen but chase the puck as a team with no system. At least that's what I saw in the games vs the WIngs and the Caps. Remember how Perlini got his only point? All 5 players went towards Perlini on the boards and left Hirose wide open in the slot. He easily could have taken 2 or 3 seconds to shoot, he had that much room.

I think they fired their assistants as well, maybe we could just hire the guy responsible for the PP (too lazy to look it up), and fire Disco.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
His $3M/yr contract runs through next season. I assume it's guaranteed, since that's the way it seems to be in the NHL. I don't see him taking an offer unless it includes next season for the same price.

I'm sure he can run the PP better (or hire someone better), but defensively SJ was a bigger cluster f. They actually have NHL caliber defenmen but chase the puck as a team with no system. At least that's what I saw in the games vs the WIngs and the Caps. Remember how Perlini got his only point? All 5 players went towards Perlini on the boards and left Hirose wide open in the slot. He easily could have taken 2 or 3 seconds to shoot, he had that much room.

I think they fired their assistants as well, maybe we could just hire the guy responsible for the PP (too lazy to look it up), and fire Disco.

how NHL coach contracts work when they get fired mid contract is they are guaranteed if they don't get another coaching gig in the NHL but if they do the old team has to cover whatever the difference is if they are making less

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I think it should go 1 of two ways.

Stick with the beefed up GR team we have, and give Blashill the last half of the year to maintain the pro group and give him the freedom to do whatever he thinks he needs to do to put in a good 40 game audition for himself to other teams, or I guess our team theoretically.

Or, keep Blashill until after the WJC and maybe the TDL, and then use an interim coach to have a fun quarter season fire drill bringing up a hoard of guys from GR.

I'm fine with either, but dear god do I hope we're exiting the, "you have to prove yourself in this. one. game.... or you're just soft and/or not ready kid" phase of the year. It's been going on since training camp, and again I don't know if the tone is the same behind the scenes, but it's grating as all hell as a fan that actually appreciates developing players/young adults.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
how NHL coach contracts work when they get fired mid contract is they are guaranteed if they don't get another coaching gig in the NHL but if they do the old team has to cover whatever the difference is if they are making less
Doesn't give him much incentive to coach this dumpster fire if he can make $3M sitting at home...

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Doesn't give him much incentive to coach this dumpster fire if he can make $3M sitting at home...

yeah depends how he thinks he would do I guess

there's definitely some benefit to coaching a team over sitting at home as far as getting future coaching jobs goes but there's probably also a line where the teams doing bad enough that it hurts rather than helps

also ties in to how good a job he thinks Blashill is doing right now which obviously we don't know(IE if he thinks Blashill's doing a bad job then that would mean there's a lot of room for improvement and even doing poorly can still look good if it's also a big improvement over what was going on before you took over or the reverse if he doesn't think that)

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Worst part of all these coaches being fired is that it is increasing the amount of teams who will be looking in the off-season. Also it allows these teams to do initial reach outs now if they have interim coaches.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

there's definitely some benefit to coaching a team over sitting at home as far as getting future coaching jobs goes but there's probably also a line where the teams doing bad enough that it hurts rather than helps

also ties in to how good a job he thinks Blashill is doing right now which obviously we don't know(IE if he thinks Blashill's doing a bad job then that would mean there's a lot of room for improvement and even doing poorly can still look good if it's also a big improvement over what was going on before you took over or the reverse if he doesn't think that)

The thing also to consider is if a fired coach that gets guaranteed money decides to join the DRWs, they would be nuts to not consider this team is trash before accepting the coaching job. How do you coach trash and make yourself look good to maintain a report in NHL? It's likely wayyyy more damaging than just sitting on a beach sipping on some pina' coladas while collecting your 3 million.

I don't think any respectable coach wants to touch this team with a 10-foot pole. I actually feel bad for Blashill because I think he is a good coach that doesn't have even half decent talent to showcase his coaching skills.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
two of the five coaches with longer tenure than Blashill were among those fired too

just Cooper,Maurice,and Laviolette left now until he's literally the longest serving coach in the league
That's insane.

I imagine he walks around LCA whistling:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

It depends where you are in your coaching life. Certain coaches can afford to take any job while others really need to be picky because it may be the last job they get. I totally get why people want Blash gone tomorrow (and won't cry if it happens), but I will say that Stevie is signaling to the coaching market that he understands what he has with his current roster (especially when banged up) and has realistic expectations. I think that will help with the coaching hire this summer for sure. No one wants to work for an unrealistic boss, especially when it may be their final head job in the league.

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
I have two minds about the situation.

On one hand, unless the goal for the season was "historically bad season", then the team is doing worse than expected. Something has to give and if Blashill isn't in the future plans, I see little reason to stay on this path.

On the other hand, even if the team finds an amazing replacement, it's not like the results will drastically improve as they'll still be a losing team. In that regard, it feels like making a move just to see some movement.

However, if the Wings are going to be big sellers at the deadline, it seems logical to want a coach that will maximize your players' values, or at least not affect them negatively. Would people say Blashill is serving that purpose?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bench

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Even though I think Blashill is making this team somewhat worse than they otherwise would be, I don't know what NHL coach takes this job with the Wings right now other than promoting Bylsma or Houda. The Wings are too far away from being good again.

If they land the 1st or 2nd overall pick this draft, that would change things for coaching candidates.

Reactions: Sega Dreamcast

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
The Athletic had an article about Steve’s time with Tampa and his lasting impact. BriseBois said one thing he took from Steve is not making personnel choices for the coach. Feedback sure, but let the coach, coach. Once it gets to a place where you have to tell them to make a change to the lineup, it’s time to change the coach.

Not sure we are there yet, but it wouldn’t shock me.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Should have never been resigned.
But this "rumor" appears to be based on a tweet from Jamie and Stoney ASKING if Blashill should be fired.

As far as rumors go - I've heard there's a lot of dissatisfaction with Blashill among the Wings young core and veteran leadership. The Larkin camp is tired of him. The Abdelkader-Helm-Dekeyser camp is tired of him.
But, apparently, Stevie is trying ride him out as long as he can - at least through the end of the season if possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad