Jeff Blashill (mod warning post #44)

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
So FIVE (5) NHL coaches have been fired since Detroit Red Wings last won a game.

Which 5?

BTW I am not for firing Blashill, he is doing a great job with Hronek, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Larkin and Fabbri.
The team is losing and I am happy with it. I want to lose and get a top 3 pick.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
If the goal differential wasn't sad enough, being outscored by 1.94 goals per game, when you only look at the games we've lost, we're losing by 2.92 goal per game. Insane.

That problem and the question is quite clear.
Howard's GAA is by 1 whole goal worse than Bernie's. That is huge. Howard has won 2 games, Bernie 8, 4 times as many.
Howard is the worst goalie in the league in both GAA and SV%

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't think hiring someone like Peter DeBoer to take over these last 40 some games, with the deadline(a hopeful blood letting of players) will elevate this team out of the best chances for the 1st and 2nd picks.

Even still... Assuming all is right, people know we only have a 35% chance to hold the 1st or 2nd picks. Might be better to get a good coach if you see one rather than just hold on to a guy for a 35% chance of what we want and continuing bad culture. Idk... i don't see a 10 game winning streak happening with any coach in the last 40 games is all I'm saying.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Which 5?

BTW I am not for firing Blashill, he is doing a great job with Hronek, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Larkin and Fabbri.

Larkin is on pace for 50 points and 18 goals.
He's on pace for 10 ES goals after 23 last year.

Does anyone think Mantha/Bertuzzi/Fabbri/Hronek wouldn't produce with any coach given similar icetime?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Which 5?

Crap, I don't remember now. This was fresh last year when I posted it.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Which 5?

You can be NHL worst team for next 5 years and never win first overall.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Larkin is on pace for 50 points and 18 goals.
He's on pace for 10 ES goals after 23 last year.

Does anyone think Mantha/Bertuzzi/Fabbri/Hronek wouldn't produce with any coach given similar icetime?
I do not see that I can discuss that topic. It is just speculating about something we would never know the answer.

One thing is for sure. Yzerman traded for Fabbri and Fabbri is doing great under Blashill.

1. I want the team to lose
2. I focus on
A. Hronek and Larkin
B. Fabbri, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Zadina

If this team was doing this bad and the players I mentioned were doing bad while neilsen, abby and other veterans were doing good, then I would be worried about the coach.

Anyhow, the team has to lose so we get a top draft pick.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
And what's your point?

I wrote top 3. We all know there is no guarantee to get 1st overall. The league has done this so the team do not lose on purpose, the teams have to compete. However you cant find core players without picking top 3.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

The odds say you wouldn't win it in 5 years straight. Which... is kind of awful. I still can't get over this dumb lottery system. The 17th place team should not have a single percentage point at the #1 overall pick. Why the hell is that even possible?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The odds say you wouldn't win it in 5 years straight. Which... is kind of awful. I still can't get over this dumb lottery system. The 17th place team should not have a single percentage point at the #1 overall pick. Why the hell is that even possible?

personally I actually think it's kind of nice that a team stuck in a limbo of never being bad enough to get a good pick or good enough to accomplish anything has a tiny glimmer of hope like that

maybe it shouldn't be first overall though,perhaps there should be some sort of limiter in how far they can rise like when the Devils won the lottery in 2011 and picked 4th

I guess maybe somewhere in between that and what we have now would probably be my ideal?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
personally I actually think it's kind of nice that a team stuck in a limbo of never being bad enough to get a good pick or good enough to accomplish anything has a tiny glimmer of hope like that

I think it means a team that already has great pieces but maybe had injury issues could end up with the #1 overall while a team completely bottomed out could continue to take leftovers. Ew.

Anyway, about Blash, at this point I think you let him ride out the year. Can't see much point making any changes at this point other than to send a message, I guess. And so much depends how much this current roster actually likes the guy. Jettisoning a popular coach in the middle of this disaster won't exactly inspire different results.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Yeah should only be say the bottom 5 teams that can win #1 overall, with the odds around 50% for the last place team.

That way there's still some incentive against outright tanking for a specific prospect because there's at best a 50% chance of winning. But that would also ensure that a team in the basement would have a reasonable expectation of winning the lottery within a few years should they need to rebuild.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
As a Hawks fan who lives in Michigan, I remember all the Wings fans whining about how Chicago sucked and got Toews, Kane etc and how last place teams shouldn’t always get the 1st pick and whatnot. I remember thinking how silly that concept was. As a Hawks fan who lives in Michigan, I still think if Detroit finishes last they get at least AT LEAST a 50% chance at 1st overall. It’s how it works. It’s how it’s always worked because it’s right. Plus, I don’t mind knowing Stevie Y is gonna right the ship Holland drove into the ground.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
As a Hawks fan who lives in Michigan, I remember all the Wings fans whining about how Chicago sucked and got Toews, Kane etc and how last place teams shouldn’t always get the 1st pick and whatnot. I remember thinking how silly that concept was. As a Hawks fan who lives in Michigan, I still think if Detroit finishes last they get at least AT LEAST a 50% chance at 1st overall. It’s how it works. It’s how it’s always worked because it’s right. Plus, I don’t mind knowing Stevie Y is gonna right the ship Holland drove into the ground.

It doesn't work like that anymore though. Last place team has an 18.5% chance at 1st or something like that.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Edmonton won lots of #1's, and they're still Edmonton.

Kenny has his work cut out with their defense, although he's a very large part of the reason the Wings are in the hole they are now, so many failed 2nd rounders.
There are probably several teams in the same situation. We were dead things.

Basically I disagree with the majority of the posters in this thread and on this board.
I do not see the point of discussing the coach at this point. It has no to very little of importance where this franchise is heading.

The focus has to be building the team (Yzerman), drafting talent, development of young players, core players, trading veterans, getting rid of bad contracts, signing FAs.

It seems to me the brass has decided to tank this season, so I have no problem with losing games.

Another thing, do we need our best offensive player to be the enforcer of the team?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Wings have a 50-50 chance of picking 4th. So half the time the worst team in the league picks 4th overall. That is messed up. I think 33% is fair for #1OA for the worst team, a 1 in 3 chance. A 50% chance is coin flip odds at getting the targeted generational player teams tank for is still going to see tanking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad