Jeff Blashill (mod warning post #44)

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
God the pro-tankers are the worst. You can tell that none of them watch, or attend the games because if you do actually watch this team on the regular basis, nobody would advocate for this path we're on. It's ****ing ****

I've watched 3/4 of the games this season buddy. You need to slow your f***ing role. No one made you God of the wings.

This has to play out over 4-5 years to assemble a core that can win a cup if things go right. Bottom line.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
God the pro-tankers are the worst. You can tell that none of them watch, or attend the games because if you do actually watch this team on the regular basis, nobody would advocate for this path we're on. It's ****ing ****

I have watched every single DRWs hockey game since 1997. Have not missed one game! EVER! I watched DRWs the day my father passed, I watched DRWs when on two of my honeymoons. I've watched hockey during a confirmed tornado touchdown.

And I'll watch it during my next honeymoon, and I'll watch it on my deathbed. Win or lose, I'll watch them. I am pro tank!

Keep Blashill, pro tank!

Reactions: LazyT

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You cite an internal promotion and one instance of someone making that jump, who doesn’t even have a full NHL season of coaching on his resume. But yeah, it happens all the time.

Ken Hitchcock replaced McLellan during the season just recently. There are plenty of examples, but I don't wish to go look up all the coaches that got fired during season and replaced with AHL or other league coaches. There is lots of you want to look them up. Also, a coaches tenure has no bearing on the discussion, when the argument is that coaches don't switch leagues mid season.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I thought Blash would've got the boot today? Maybe today he spent the day with Blash going over his firing privately and with the rest of the team. Think Yzerman announces it publicly tomorrow/Thursday?

I actually don't think he is getting fired until the season is over, unless we lose another 7 in a row or something. Yzerman is playing the patience game, even if it annoying as far as Blashill is concerned so I am not expecting him to be fired right now.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Is there a limit though. Like surely if we lose 20 games in a row, he automatically gets canned right?

I agree, I am at my limit, but Steve is in charge may have someone in mind to take over at seasons end, or doesn't blame Jeff as much as many, so it is hard to say one way or the other.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I actually don't think he is getting fired until the season is over, unless we lose another 7 in a row or something. Yzerman is playing the patience game, even if it annoying as far as Blashill is concerned so I am not expecting him to be fired right now.

I don't know man... we lost 8 in a row... the reporters started questioning whether or not Blash was on the hot seat.
Then we did well out west.
Now we've lost 10 in a row.

10 f***ing games in a row.
1/8th of the season.

In 30 games, we've had slumps of 10, 8 and 4.

Easy to see this streak getting to 14 before we beat the Kings in midDecember.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ken Hitchcock replaced McLellan during the season just recently. There are plenty of examples, but I don't wish to go look up all the coaches that got fired during season and replaced with AHL or other league coaches. There is lots of you want to look them up. Also, a coaches tenure has no bearing on the discussion, when the argument is that coaches don't switch leagues mid season.
Teams usually hire the AHL coach from their affiliate, not some other team. That really isn't much of an option for the Wings.

Read this article, the 3 usual choices are:
- Unemployed former head coach
- Coach for AHL affliate
- Assistant coach

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...tten-fired-hot-seat-now-top-rising-candidates

All 3 options suck right now.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Teams usually hire the AHL coach from their affiliate, not some other team. That really isn't much of an option for the Wings.

Read this article, the 3 usual choices are:
- Unemployed former head coach
- Coach for AHL affliate
- Assistant coach

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...tten-fired-hot-seat-now-top-rising-candidates

All 3 options suck right now.

Agreed, I would think zero chance Ben Simon is promoted this early. In the NHL, can a team hire an assistant coach of another team (like in the NFL how you can take a coordinator from another team and make them your head coach? ) If so, I wonder if Yzerman would consider Todd Nelson?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
yeah, but we were without Dekeyser and Green a ton last year too.

Also had Vanek, Kronwall, Jensen and Nyquist for most part.

Maybe those seasoned vets aren't so bad at all. They did hold the damn Fortress.

People are just thinking too much about our kids. They are far away from ready. One day they will be, but before, that will years of growing pains, and in-prime vets need to be added.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I thought Blash would've got the boot today? Maybe today he spent the day with Blash going over his firing privately and with the rest of the team. Think Yzerman announces it publicly tomorrow/Thursday?
He isn’t going anywhere

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Also had Vanek, Kronwall, Jensen and Nyquist for most part.

Maybe those seasoned vets aren't so bad at all. They did hold the damn Fortress.

People are just thinking too much about our kids. They are far away from ready. One day they will be, but before, that will years of growing pains, and in-prime vets need to be added.

Vanek was hurt quite a bit, And the team played well when Jensen/Nyquist did get traded to vault themselves out of the pick the NYR's won. Idk if it's a total valid statement here...

Saying something about Kronwall is legitimate though. They didn't replace him and they got worst with Nemeth over Kronwall. I think this teams biggest needs is a guy on defense, a true #1 defender on the left side that can log huge minutes. It'll help when DeKeyser comes back, but, Red Wings need better/more from the left side than just DeKeyser as the teams best LHD.

Idk if the Columbus whispers of trading Werenski are true, but I'd be exploring that avenue hard right now if I'm Yzerman/Wings management. I'd be willing to give up a lot to bring in Werenski who would be like the backbone of the team right now.

It's a lot but this is what I think "could" get it done if Columbus really wanted to trade him.

- Red Wings trade LW Andras Anthansiou, LW/RW Taro Hirose, LHD Dennis Cholowski, LW/RW Filip Zadina, RHD Madison Bowey, and a 2nd round pick this year and next year to Columbus for LHD Zach Werenski.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Vanek was hurt quite a bit, And the team played well when Jensen/Nyquist did get traded to vault themselves out of the pick the NYR's won. Idk if it's a total valid statement here...

Saying something about Kronwall is legitimate though. They didn't replace him and they got worst with Nemeth over Kronwall. I think this teams biggest needs is a guy on defense, a true #1 defender on the left side that can log huge minutes. It'll help when DeKeyser comes back, but, Red Wings need better/more from the left side than just DeKeyser as the teams best LHD.

Idk if the Columbus whispers of trading Werenski are true, but I'd be exploring that avenue hard right now if I'm Yzerman/Wings management. I'd be willing to give up a lot to bring in Werenski who would be like the backbone of the team right now.

It's a lot but this is what I think "could" get it done if Columbus really wanted to trade him.

- Red Wings trade LW Andras Anthansiou, LW/RW Taro Hirose, LHD Dennis Cholowski, LW/RW Filip Zadina, RHD Madison Bowey, and a 2nd round pick this year and next year to Columbus for LHD Zach Werenski.

“Breaking News: This just in, Red Wings trade half of roster for a single injured player.”

Massive, massive, massive overpayment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad