Jeff Blashill (mod warning post #44)

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
People defend Blashill I just do not get it. There is no data or underlying numbers to support such a stupid claim. Maybe we've been infiltrated by other teams fans? I know that 30 other NHL teams are loving us having Trashill behind the bench because its always the easiest 2 points in the league.

Reactions: Go Wings

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Or we can do what every other franchise would've done already a loooooooong time ago and fire Blashill for his brutal incompetence and give someone else a try.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Funny how complicated this is for people. Don't mean you.

I watch also every game. Try to find always some positive from the game. Team is bad, theres always more negatives than positives. But I like the positives. I just won't care about the result. Its nice to see a win, and it won't hurt at all to see a loss. This is temporary and every succes era will need some kind of rebuild era.

Waiting for that 35% chance to at least Byfield too.

Don't have to hate anything, don't have to blame anything. Time will fix this team. Bad contracts will die, kids will develop, we draft high. Repeat.

Blashill is pretty much irrelevant. I could want a coaching change if this team would have some great potential, but would suffer on the bottom.

People's opinions are against expectations. This team is as bad as it was on every pre-season analyze (bottom2) and when you add the injuries, no wonder it's the worst. That's just realism. Coaching change does not make miracles for those facts.

Time will do the thing, on Yzerman's hands.

I seriously am considering on taking bets to see how long it takes until the Fire Yzerman, he needs to go train shows up

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yikes...
AA and Cholo. Maybe.
Zadina and Cholo. Maybe.
AA, Zadina AND Cholo?

I mean I just don't see the Blue Jackets trading him unless the price is right. I know most Wings fans won't be able to stomach what an actual trade would look like for a young #1 defensemen who isn't over-paid might look like.

Werenski is an upgrade over all those guys as a player. He'd prolly be our 2nd/3rd best player on the team. Extremely young. Idk, just don't see many options... Maybe the Ducks would move Cam Flower for a less but he's older... Idk, spit balling mostly. Just know this rebuild will suffer till a true number 1 defense is found... *Somewhere*

CLK Wolverines

Jun 29, 2017
It seems to me Blashill is not a good NHL coach. The players are never in good position. I feel the AHL is best for him.

Reactions: lilidk

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I mean I just don't see the Blue Jackets trading him unless the price is right. I know most Wings fans won't be able to stomach what an actual trade would look like for a young #1 defensemen who isn't over-paid might look like.

Werenski is an upgrade over all those guys as a player. He'd prolly be our 2nd/3rd best player on the team. Extremely young. Idk, just don't see many options... Maybe the Ducks would move Cam Flower for a less but he's older... Idk, spit balling mostly. Just know this rebuild will suffer till a true number 1 defense is found... *Somewhere*

What was Dougie Hamilton moved for? Or Jacob Trouba?

I'd be surprised if Werenski was available, though. I look at Columbus, and I'm not seeing why they would deal him or what they would hope to accomplish with it.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

I'd be surprised if Werenski was available, though. I look at Columbus, and I'm not seeing why they would deal him or what they would hope to accomplish with it.

Hamilton was a problem with the team apparently.... an Trouba was on a 1 year deal. Werenski just signed a 3 year 15 million dollar contract before the season so. We'd get a number 1 defense-men cheaper than DeKeyser and younger.

No way someone would come here for that on the open market even.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

I just don't see why Columbus would trade a 22-year-old defenseman. Four years in - now should be when he hits his stride.
There are rumors he's miserable living in Columbus.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I just don't see why Columbus would trade a 22-year-old defenseman. Four years in - now should be when he hits his stride.

Werenski's contract has positioned himself to squeeze himself out of Columbus the same way that Trouba did in Winnipeg, unless I am mistaken on his status and how qualifying offers work. After this three year contract expires he will be 24 turning 25 in the summer, and while he is an RFA, his deal is backloaded (base salary is $4M/$4M/$7M). The contract runs through his 6th NHL season. Meaning a $7M 1 year qualifying offer would walk him to unrestricted free agency at the age of 25/26.

This is why Columbus may trade him at some point. If they can get top notch value from a team for him now, and you think he's working his way to getting out of town, you have to make the move when the price surpasses your fear threshold. If I were Jarmo, it wouldn't be now, because you have to believe there is potential for even more output that could increase his value, but I would have a lingering fear absolutely. Grew up in metro-Detroit; good friend plays for Detroit; rumors at times have mentioned that he gets homesick; Detroit is a young team, who will have the cap space to pay him market value in the future; Detroit at this point has a handedness imbalance in their defensive core and would benefit from adding a left handed defenseman; Detroit is now run by an unconventionally aggressive general manager.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Werenski's contract has positioned himself to squeeze himself out of Columbus the same way that Trouba did in Winnipeg, unless I am mistaken on his status and how qualifying offers work. After this three year contract expires he will be 24 turning 25 in the summer, and while he is an RFA, his deal is backloaded (base salary is $4M/$4M/$7M). The contract runs through his 6th NHL season. Meaning a $7M 1 year qualifying offer would walk him to unrestricted free agency at the age of 25/26.

This is why Columbus may trade him at some point. If they can get top notch value from a team for him now, and you think he's working his way to getting out of town, you have to make the move when the price surpasses your fear threshold. If I were Jarmo, it wouldn't be now, because you have to believe there is potential for even more output that could increase his value, but I would have a lingering fear absolutely. Grew up in metro-Detroit; good friend plays for Detroit; rumors at times have mentioned that he gets homesick; Detroit is a young team, who will have the cap space to pay him market value in the future; Detroit at this point has a handedness imbalance in their defensive core and would benefit from adding a left handed defenseman; Detroit is now run by an unconventionally aggressive general manager.

Columbus isn't Winnipeg.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So you ignore every single piece of context in my post to point out that the organizations are in different cities? Great. This is why nobody wants to engage in an actual discussion with you.

Holy shit, dude. Settled down.

Winnipeg is a brutal town.
Columbus isn't a bad place to be a young man.
Lots more to do than Winnipeg. Way more parks.

Maybe Werenski has dreams of the big city or the sun and the coast, or his hometown.

But I've not heard a lot of people complain about Columbus as a bad place to play hockey.
Winnipeg? I've heard it a lot.

In your long post, you also mentioned Trouba - long rumored to want to come home.
Well, not so much I guess.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Holy ****, dude. Settled down.

Winnipeg is a brutal town.
Columbus isn't a bad place to be a young man.
Lots more to do than Winnipeg.

Maybe Werenski has dreams of the big city or the sun and the coast, or his hometown.

But I've not heard a lot of people complain about Columbus as a bad place to play hockey.
Winnipeg? I've heard it a lot.

In your long post, you also mentioned Trouba - long rumored to want to come home.
Well, not so much I guess.

Well let's clear this up, I don't want to imply that Werenski is motivated the same way as Trouba or that Columbus is a similar place to be stationed to Winnipeg. That being said, Werenski is positioned in a similar manner to Trouba, and if he wanted out at the end of this contract, he could do so with a one year qualifying offer. I don't know what Werenski is or will be feeling, but all those things that I have stated are real. He is a Detroit native, he did grow up a Wings fan, he is close friends with Larkin, there have been rumors that he gets homesick in Columbus, the Wings will have cap space and do have an imbalance on D in the system.

To your point, we did learn that Trouba's desire had less to do with going home, and more about finding a place to be close to his significant other, but by no means am I guaranteeing that Werenski wants out of town like Trouba, although his contract position and his ties to Detroit are notable factors. We will learn more on his intentions in 2 years when we hear about the contract negotiations, assuming he is still in Columbus and not traded beforehand.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Well let's clear this up, I don't want to imply that Werenski is motivated the same way as Trouba or that Columbus is a similar place to be stationed to Winnipeg. That being said, Werenski is positioned in a similar manner to Trouba, and if he wanted out at the end of this contract, he could do so with a one year qualifying offer. I don't know what Werenski is or will be feeling, but all those things that I have stated are real. He is a Detroit native, he did grow up a Wings fan, he is close friends with Larkin, there have been rumors that he gets homesick in Columbus, the Wings will have cap space and do have an imbalance on D in the system.

To your point, we did learn that Trouba's desire had less to do with going home, and more about finding a place to be close to his significant other, but by no means am I guaranteeing that Werenski wants out of town like Trouba, although his contract position and his ties to Detroit are notable factors. We will learn more on his intentions in 2 years when we hear about the contract negotiations, assuming he is still in Columbus and not traded beforehand.

It just seems like for years we've been hitching our wagons to Michiganders who we think want to come home.
But right now? These young kids are chasing money and cups.

Everyone said Ryan Ellis wanted to play here.
Trouba.
Fowler.
Petry.
Krug.

The only real way to get people to want to come here again is to start winning.
That and overpayment.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Rafalski came, because he did saw the team on rise.

Same will happen on becoming years. Team will be on rise, people will join. They call to Yzerman, "can I play ofr you?" just like Hossa called to Holland.

Just build the team enough attractive, get lucky (win a lottery) and people will join.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Rafalski came, because he did saw the team on rise.

Same will happen on becoming years. Team will be on rise, people will join. They call to Yzerman, "can I play ofr you?" just like Hossa called to Holland.

Just build the team enough attractive, get lucky (win a lottery) and people will join.

I think it was Tyler Johnson who said that when he saw that Steve Yzerman was calling him, he had to answer. When Steve Yzerman tells you he wants you to play for his team, it means a bit more than a normal GM.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
So back to Blashill. How long can the Wings keep him at this point? 11 losses in a row. What is the breaking point for him?

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
^Post holidays would be my guess. If he here come first week of January, he's here for the season. I rather than be the case than bringing in a new coach and maybe winning games and losing our worst in the league odds for the #1 OA. But we're SO BAD even a few extra wins will still leave us safely in the league basement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->