Speculation: Jeff Angus: Canucks to let Max Lapierre go to UFA. (or not, UPD: June 18, 2013)

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I actually liked Lapierre. As a 4C he was quite useful. Sad to see him go. Looks like we're letting go of the players who actually played hard for this team, while keeping those who seemed so indifferent with their play. Oh well.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I actually liked Lapierre. As a 4C he was quite useful. Sad to see him go. Looks like we're letting go of the players who actually played hard for this team, while keeping those who seemed so indifferent with their play. Oh well.

I would like to know what Lapierre you were watching because all year he was busy not giving any ****s.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I like this move if it means next season the bottom-6 will feature a legitimate 3rd line center along with a cheap, young guy/scrub on the 4th.

It really is a shame we never had Lappy and Malhotra on the top of their games at the same time. Hopefully they can find a duo this summer as effective as those two could've been.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Lapierre was always muzzled by Vigneault. If there is no Vig next season, there can't be a Lappy. Who would muzzle him, en francais?

Canucks are, perhaps, going to go with a rook or two next season because they won't do any buyouts?

Lastly, it's got to be hard for them to keep Lapierre at 4c. He is a third line center on most teams and can play top six minutes as a fill-in. That's worth two or three million on the open market, this offseason, IMO (based on current FA offerings).

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Man i hope Kellan Lain can skate.

Lappy going is a good thing all around. We could use his roster spot to get some further development and assessment at the NHL of some of our youth - Schroeder, Gaunce, Lain, etc..

Lappy has done enough imo to deserve a raise that we can't give him... Playoff Lappy is a solid piece for any team to have...

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Makes sense. I think we're going to see an absolute bargain basement 4th line next season similar to what we saw in 10-11 where they spent just over $2M on their 4th line + 13th forward. Given the cap crunch, the Canucks simply don't have the room for a luxury like Lapierre on the 4th line. Every dollar extra they spend on their 4th line is a dollar less they have for a more important position like a top 6 winger.

And it's not like you can't pick one up fairly cheaply at the deadline if the team is looking otherwise solid. I don't see this as an issue at all.

The other thing is that in 2009, when the cap stayed stagnant, quality depth players were squeezed out because teams pinched pennies and were signed for next to nothing when the season was close to starting. That year Malhotra, Goc, Pyatt, and Yelle came in under $700k, and R. Niedermayer, D. Moore, and Prospal signed for around $1 million. With the cap dropping, I wouldn't be surprised to see something even more extreme.

I'm guessing Lapierre is hoping that some team is high enough on him that they're willing to pay a premium to get him while the Canucks are content to wait out the market and hope they can catch a bargain.

Last edited:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Lapierre was always muzzled by Vigneault. If there is no Vig next season, there can't be a Lappy. Who would muzzle him, en francais?

Canucks are, perhaps, going to go with a rook or two next season because they won't do any buyouts?

Lastly, it's got to be hard for them to keep Lapierre at 4c. He is a third line center on most teams and can play top six minutes as a fill-in. That's worth two or three million on the open market, this offseason, IMO (based on current FA offerings).

If someone pays Max Lapierre 3M a year they deserve to be canned on the spot.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Man i hope Kellan Lain can skate.

Lappy going is a good thing all around. We could use his roster spot to get some further development and assessment at the NHL of some of our youth - Schroeder, Gaunce, Lain, etc..

Lappy has done enough imo to deserve a raise that we can't give him... Playoff Lappy is a solid piece for any team to have...

Its one of his strongest attributes.

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver
Its one of his strongest attributes.

Talent Analysis

At 6’6â€, Lain obviously has size. And he has used his size; strength and long reach very effectively in protecting the puck, stripping pucks from opponents and creating space for his teammates. One area where Lain really excelled this season was on face-offs, where he won 313 of the draws that he took. Lain is also a tough body to move, whether standing in front of the net or along the walls. He has great net-front presence and many of his goals this season have come on rebounds and tip-ins. He has shown a willingness to pay a price in front of the net too. Lain is a tough competitor that brings a physical element to his game. He can deliver some bone-jarring hits and is strong on the forecheck.

The greatest improvement in Lain’s development has been in his skating. His strides are now smoother and more powerful. He has added speed and is more agile on his skates. In addition, his feet have vastly improved as well. Lain does an excellent job of following and staying with plays, which has been further enhanced by his great stick work. He is defensively responsible, does a good job of killing penalties and is willing to block shots. While Lain saw time on Lake Superior State’s penalty killing unit this season, where he was even more dangerous was on the Lakers power play. Five of Lain’s eight goals have come on the man-advantage. Lain possesses hard, powerful shot and can get pucks to the net.

mooped*

Lain/Gaunce battle for the 4th line C - put them in a role where there isn't much pressure and see how they do. Schroeder for 3C if MG doesn't sign a FA, which he probably should address and then put Schroeder with Kesler.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I like Lapierre. I think he's a perfect 4th line center. He's one guy I would have no reservations of bringing back.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
The other thing is that in 2009, when the cap stayed stagnant, quality depth players were squeezed out because teams pinched pennies and were signed for next to nothing when the season was close to starting. That year Malhotra, Goc, Pyatt, and Yelle came in under $700k, and R. Niedermayer, D. Moore, and Prospal signed for around $1 million. With the cap dropping, I wouldn't be surprised to see something even more extreme.

I'm guessing Lapierre is hoping that some team is high enough on him that they're willing to pay a premium to get him while the Canucks are content to wait out the market and hope they can catch a bargain.

I agree. And that's precisely why I'm hoping we don't see someone like Lain or Gaunce who come with $1M cap hits penciled in there. I think there'll be some fairly solid NHLers that can be had for less than that.

Sedinery2011

Nov 18, 2010
Vancouver, BC
One of our biggest, hardest working and even productive players in the post-season...yeah lets let him go...not like he contributed at all in the cup final run or like we need strong physical centers. This is on par with letting Torres go. A blunder.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
One of our biggest, hardest working and even productive players in the post-season...yeah lets let him go...not like he contributed at all in the cup final run or like we need strong physical centers. This is on par with letting Torres go. A blunder.

Time to let go of the past, he was terrible last year.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

You say that like we had the ability to fit a $1.75 mil contract on our team at the time.

I keep reading this crap over and over on this site.
Signing him would of required moving out a core piece of a team that just went to the final.

Don't recall to many people clamoring over losing him at the time for the salary he got. Love the retrospective evaluation.

Anyways...

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
If the let Lappiere go and re-sign Ebbett im gonna lose it...

anyways.... I wont be too bummed about since it opens up a spot for a player like Mallet who I became an instant fan of after he destroyed that Flamer lol.

He skates better than Lappy, hits just as hard, can agitate and actually wins his fights.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
i like playoff types of guys. hes good for a 4th liner. hes the type of guy that doesnt`skate around the perimeter.

you win with guys like him, obviously better versions of him, but thats why hes on the 4th, but hes the type of 4th liner you want on the team.

he was pushed up the lineup when there was injuries for a reason, hes better than ur typical 4th liner.

theyll probably bring in some some fringe scrub to replace him. so sick of being fed guys like sestito, bolduc, oreskovich, ebbett etc and our gm trying to convince us theyre good enough

i didn`t like getting rid of torres, didn`t like getting rid of ehrhoff, and im not a fan of getting rid of lapierre. but depends what hes wanting to be paid i guess

For a "playoff type of guy" he hasn't been very noticeable the last two playoffs. When he was going through a rough stretch of games earlier in the season, people here said that it didn't matter because he was a "beast" in the postseason. He was the exact same player we watched for 48 games. If he wants to walk, let him walk.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'm sure he just wants more money than we can give for a fourth line centre

Wish Lappy the best with whatever team he plays for next

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad