Speculation: Jeff Angus: Canucks to let Max Lapierre go to UFA. (or not, UPD: June 18, 2013)

StringerBell

Is he though? Is he? He takes a decent number of minor penalties, is not that great on face-offs, has a bit of a reputation with the referees, won't exactly bring more than average amount of scoring for his role and his overall play can be hit and miss from game-to-game. To add to that, he hasn't played with much fire since his first season here.

This, exactly. He's been riding the reputation he built on the cup run for the last two years now. All he contributed this year was hitting, but at the detriment of team reputation.

His attitude clearly doesn't fit in with the direction Gillis wants to take this team.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
If we still want to compete for a cup this is a bad move, will be like letting Torres go.

Not comparable at all imo. Torres is twice the skater lappy is, considerably more formidable physically, torres did a good job filling on the sharks 2nd line at times during our series, lapierre should never be near a 2nd line. And torres only makes 700 000k more.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
He probably wants a raise, which they can't really afford to do unless you want him to be the 3rd line C, which is obviously not going to happen in Vancouver.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Makes sense. I think we're going to see an absolute bargain basement 4th line next season similar to what we saw in 10-11 where they spent just over $2M on their 4th line + 13th forward. Given the cap crunch, the Canucks simply don't have the room for a luxury like Lapierre on the 4th line. Every dollar extra they spend on their 4th line is a dollar less they have for a more important position like a top 6 winger.

And it's not like you can't pick one up fairly cheaply at the deadline if the team is looking otherwise solid. I don't see this as an issue at all.

Woohoo back to the days of Desbiens/Bolduc/Schaeffer! :sarcasm:

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
This is not a good move if he leaves...our depth will be hurt. In this day and age we need a fourth line that can skate and play. We better get someone decent, and please no more Sestito, Weise, Ebbet and other ****s like those.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I really liked him, but this comes as no surprise. I think the team projected their centers for next season, and had Schreoder in the 3C spot, and decided it need another lefty... and one who is good on the draw as well. Let Kes and the new 4C do the important draws on either side, and have JS and Sedin be used in other ways.

StringerBell

Yes, his departure will make a huge difference to the team's future success, and maybe Cup run.

If they're trying to facilitate a change in attitude/culture on this team than Lappy needed to go. This year he was poor defensively, contributed no offense, wasn't anything special on faceoffs... All he did was hit and kill penalties.

You can find a guy who plays a more honest and respectable game than Lappy who contributes that just as well.

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver

Yikes...

EDIT: Maybe I'm biased but it looks like at the last second he's lifting his leg to try go over?

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
If they're trying to facilitate a change in attitude/culture on this team than Lappy needed to go. This year he was poor defensively, contributed no offense, wasn't anything special on faceoffs... All he did was hit and kill penalties.

You can find a guy who plays a more honest and respectable game than Lappy who contributes that just as well.

True, and you could have a guy play the exact same game Lappy did this year but he would be assessed fewer penalties because he's not blacklisted.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
****ing good riddance. He rendered himself useless after he decided to pack on the pounds and now Ryan Whitney would beat him in a foot race.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Does that mean 14+17 are headed out as well? Lapierre has less of a reputation than either 14 or 17 imo, Lappy is just an annoying player nothing against the rules in that.

Yeah I tend to think it really doesn't apply to Lappy so much. He's more of a "yapper" and hasn't ever whined about the officiating (at least off the ice) unlike a few other players on this team so I fail to see why they (refs) would hold any "grudges" against him.

Still, Vigneault seems like the only who can get the best out of him & with him likely coaching another team next season; might make sense for Lappy to play for somebody else.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
As long as we get a replacement 4C I'll be happy. Lain may or may not be ready.

I can't go back to the days of Ryan Johnson, Rypien, Bolduc, Joel Perrault, Bliznak and the mess that comes with a revolving door.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I think people also assume 4th line is automatically grinding and tough guys, 4th line some teams use to experiment with new younger players, I know the wings have put some of their young players on the 4th as they enter the nhl, we had hodgson on the 4th line at times, habs had galchenyuk on the 4th for some games, with lappy out it gives them freedom to test some centers and give them some nhl time.

Although I do agree we should have a legit 4th C in mind for most of the year.

arsmaster*

Yes Canucks are thin up the middle....

...But an issue that has to be dealt is the refs. Canucks cannot change the refs biases against some players. I think this move is being done to get rid of some hate and finally get some toss up calls in the Canucks way.

Hate this mentality.

They aren't letting him test free agency to change the views of the league, they are letting him test free agency, because they don't want to spend more than $1m for a #4C.

He'll test the market and if the Canucks still want him and he wants to be here, he'll be offered a contract.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm fine with the move in a vacuum, but not excited if it increases the chance Ebbett is back.

Too early and the report is too vague to have any more of an opinion.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I'm fine with the move in a vacuum, but not excited if it increases the chance Ebbett is back.

Too early and the report is too vague to have any more of an opinion.

Oh god i hope and assume ebbett is going along with max, given gillis interview with cam cole earlier this year about relying less on journeymen players, I hope hes gone.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
If we still want to compete for a cup this is a bad move, will be like letting Torres go.

It won't really be anything like that. Torres is one of the rare players whose PPG actually goes up in the playoffs, and he seems to injure one guy per round like clockwork.

Lapierre is a marginal fourth line center who isn't particularly strong in the faceoff circle. He's a fine agitator and he played well in 2011, but you need to save money somewhere.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Is he though? Is he? He takes a decent number of minor penalties, is not that great on face-offs, has a bit of a reputation with the referees, won't exactly bring more than average amount of scoring for his role and his overall play can be hit and miss from game-to-game. To add to that, he hasn't played with much fire since his first season here.

He's a decent 4th line centre but there are in all likelihood ways to upgrade or get equivalent level of contributions while saving cap sapce.
He's defensively responsible, he plays on the PK, he can hit, forecheck, fight and he's actually pretty good on the dot. He's ranked #40 for faceoff percentage in the league.
He's an ideal 4th line centre for the Canucks, or any team.

That said, the Canucks probably see something in Kellan Lain and believe he could be an apt replacement in that 4th line center role with more upside.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Called this months ago. They'll try Gaunce or Lain or something there. Can't pay 1 million to a guy like Lappy, I don't think. Hurts the team's rep, can't really jump up to the 3rd line, and the team can probably develop a guy there.

stickside

Oct 6, 2007
is this what MG means by a reset?

i'm iffy on this decision. but if news breaks mason raymond will be testing the ufa market, then i'll be the opposite of iffy

i'll be hell yeah

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Called this months ago. They'll try Gaunce or Lain or something there. Can't pay 1 million to a guy like Lappy, I don't think. Hurts the team's rep, can't really jump up to the 3rd line, and the team can probably develop a guy there.
I highly doubt they'll use Gaunce, or at least, I hope they won't. He should spend next year in the CHL taking his offense to a even higher level. He also has a good shot of making the World Juniors and I wouldn't want to rob him of that opportunity.

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver
is this what MG means by a reset?

i'm iffy on this decision. but if news breaks mason raymond will be testing the ufa market, then i'll be the opposite of iffy

i'll be hell yeah

In the 40 minute presser the question came up about re-signing Raymond and gillis' response "I dont know."

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I highly doubt they'll use Gaunce, or at least, I hope they won't. He should spend next year in the CHL taking his offense to a even higher level. He also has a good shot of making the World Juniors and I wouldn't want to rob him of that opportunity.

He could still go to the juniors.

I think any player not making a ton of money that's young will get a pretty long look in camp, especially with a different coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad