Speculation: Jeff Angus: Canucks to let Max Lapierre go to UFA. (or not, UPD: June 18, 2013)

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Called this months ago. They'll try Gaunce or Lain or something there. Can't pay 1 million to a guy like Lappy, I don't think. Hurts the team's rep, can't really jump up to the 3rd line, and the team can probably develop a guy there.

I see a lot of people pencilling Lain in, did he really look that good in the A?

In the 40 minute presser the question came up about re-signing Raymond and gillis' response "I dont know."

I had a good laugh at that one, I believe the question was "do you still have faith in Mason Raymond?"

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
He's defensively responsible

No, he's actually not. He misses his assignments more than any other Canuck and his lack of skating speed has really effected his ability to play smart hockey.

he can hit, forecheck

Don't use a hit stat as an accurate measurement of his physicality. Most of his hits this year have also been really late. He's a liability for penalties because of it. And he's a terrible forechecker now that he can't skate.

fight and he's actually pretty good on the dot.

He's a ****ing terrible fighter. For all the flack we give Weise about his inability to fight, Laps is much worse. And he's not good enough on the dot to disguise his other weaknesses.

That said, the Canucks probably see something in Kellan Lain and believe he could be an apt replacement in that 4th line center role with more upside.

Lain is bigger, and his faceoff ability is likely pretty comparable and he's a much better skater (Lapierre was better before he went and ****ed his groin up by gaining too much weight in the off season). Keeping Lapierre around is the exact opposite of what Gillis is touting: there will be changes and if you're struggling as a team trying to keep your window open, well... you don't show loyalty to a 4th liner who's been bad all year.

I see a lot of people pencilling Lain in, did he really look that good in the A?

He wasn't used very much in the AHL because the Wolves wanted more of their own personnel to play. He wasn't bad. He was good on the dot and pretty physical. As a fourth liner here, the last thing I care about him doing is putting up points.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
He could still go to the juniors.

I think any player not making a ton of money that's young will get a pretty long look in camp, especially with a different coach.

Maybe, but he's young and just turned on some crazy offensive switch in his head. I want him to continue his offensive domination and that won't happen if he's playing 7-10 minutes a night on the Canucks 4th line.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
He's defensively responsible, he plays on the PK, he can hit, forecheck, fight and he's actually pretty good on the dot. He's ranked #40 for faceoff percentage in the league.
He's an ideal 4th line centre for the Canucks, or any team.

That said, the Canucks probably see something in Kellan Lain and believe he could be an apt replacement in that 4th line center role with more upside.

The bolded was certainly debateable this season, he often had several glaring gaffes in his own zone this year, a few costly turn overs that lead to goals. He had a stretch where I thought he was bieksa. Even had AV who loves him call him out post game at the beginning of the season for a dumb penalty that led to a goal. And just because av used him as a PK'er did not make him good at it. AV also used ebbett in that role.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Maybe, but he's young and just turned on some crazy offensive switch in his head. I want him to continue his offensive domination and that won't happen if he's playing 7-10 minutes a night on the Canucks 4th line.

I dunno about this. I know it's commonly accepted wisdom that you need to let young prospects bake in the AHL for years or you'll "ruin their development", but it seems like superstition to me. How is an extra 2-4 minutes a night in a lower league THAT much more beneficial to players? Wouldn't it be offset by the gains made learning against tougher competition?

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Dime a dozen 4th line C...

Boyd Gordon, Dave Steckel, Rob Klinkhammer are all UFA and all offer a new face to a team looking for a culture change. Lots more available via trade as well. Lain also an option.

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver
I dunno about this. I know it's commonly accepted wisdom that you need to let young prospects bake in the AHL for years or you'll "ruin their development", but it seems like superstition to me. How is an extra 2-4 minutes a night in a lower league THAT much more beneficial to players? Wouldn't it be offset by the gains made learning against tougher competition?

I think it's more of WHERE the minutes are played.
If you're in the AHL playing 15 minutes 2+ are on PK and 2+ on PP rest even strength is better for development than playing 9 minutes a game just even strength in the NHL

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Judging by my indifference to this, not a surprise by any means. I don't know what happened to the Max of 2011 but he's not there anymore. I liked his addition, hopefully he can make it somewhere else in the NHL he definitely has what it takes.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013

It wouldn't be an extra 2-4 minutes a night. It'd be an extra 10-12 minutes a night playing in every single situation. Top line center, top PP unit, top PK, etc etc. Gaunce would be counted to do everything for the Bulls next season just like he was this season. That's way better development than slouching around on the bench for 53 mins a night.

King of the ES*

Good riddance.

Addition by subtraction. Other teams/players have such little respect for him, that he actually makes them step their games up because they really don't want to lose against him. Get him out of here.

Alflives*

It wouldn't be an extra 2-4 minutes a night. It'd be an extra 10-12 minutes a night playing in every single situation. Top line center, top PP unit, top PK, etc etc. Gaunce would be counted to do everything for the Bulls next season just like he was this season. That's way better development than slouching around on the bench for 53 mins a night.

Yup, Gaunce will be in the OHL next season - for certain.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

Does not mean you cant use them a couple of games in this role, I would def not have gaunce as a 4th line main stay, but bring him up for some games and give him that 4 C role a few games and see how he does, and let him get a look at the nhl then send him back down, same with lain or any other young C who comes up through our system.

Maybe it was an av thing, but I just never seen them scratching max to give a young player some ice time on the 4th line. I also wonder how max would have reacted to that.

Last edited:

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Makes sense. I think we're going to see an absolute bargain basement 4th line next season similar to what we saw in 10-11 where they spent just over $2M on their 4th line + 13th forward. Given the cap crunch, the Canucks simply don't have the room for a luxury like Lapierre on the 4th line. Every dollar extra they spend on their 4th line is a dollar less they have for a more important position like a top 6 winger.

And it's not like you can't pick one up fairly cheaply at the deadline if the team is looking otherwise solid. I don't see this as an issue at all.

That would be a very poor decision. We routinely get beaten by teams that can ice 4th lines capable of playing an extra 8 minutes per game than ours can. The bottom 6 has been largely neglected since the 2010 offseason and 2011 trade deadline, and it is costing this team.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Lapierre is a better winger than a center anyways, imo. He plays better when he skates hard and keeps things simple. When he's getting creative trying to be a puck mover he tends to fumble into some bad gaffes. Also, if we are going to try and mend the problems we are having with the officials letting Lapierre move on can't hurt.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Very happy about this, Lappy was brutal this year. Need to go to different direction.

I really like him and he seems a great guy in the locker room but ever since the Canucks told him to shut it, stop the yapping etc, he lost that emotional edge he used to play with. He was amazing during the Cup run because of this and he's so much worse and less effective when he doesn't have that edge. I hope he can get that back elsewhere. Not seeing that happening here even with new coaching staff.

arsmaster*

For one it could help our reputation with the stripes. A little mind you, but still.

The only part of losing him that helps with the refs, is that he'll no longer commit the same stupid penalty where he crashes down to the top of the crease in his own zone and cross checks the guy into his own goalie.

I believe he took at least 5 identical penalties this year. So frustrating.

It's not going to make the refs call more penalties against the opposition.

momo

Jun 20, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Does that mean 14+17 are headed out as well? Lapierre has less of a reputation than either 14 or 17 imo, Lappy is just an annoying player nothing against the rules in that.

They are core players in Vancouver and signed for a while. Lappy is a 4th line Free Agent.

It is easier to make the call to let Lappy go than with 14 and 17. Saying that I wouldn't be surprised if one of those two is traded.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The only part of losing him that helps with the refs, is that he'll no longer commit the same stupid penalty where he crashes down to the top of the crease in his own zone and cross checks the guy into his own goalie.

I believe he took at least 5 identical penalties this year. So frustrating.

It's not going to make the refs call more penalties against the opposition.

Well, it's not like he didn't have a reputation though.

Like I said, it's going to have a marginal effect.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Outside of very limited flashes he's a marginal player in my mind ... 98% of the season he's totally invisible these days, and then has a couple good games where he looks like a higher-end fourth line centre. Won't change the team much with him gone.

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
Just seems like change for the sake of it. Going from Lappy to Lain or whoever isn't going to impact this team very much.

The cap is significantly shrinking next year and teams can't get relief by parking players in the minors anymore. If you can get the same on-ice contribution for fewer $ the need to do so is greater than ever.

Pseudonymous*

Really? I personally don't care one way or another. Clearly they have other ideas if they're so comfortable letting him go.

i like playoff types of guys. hes good for a 4th liner. hes the type of guy that doesnt`skate around the perimeter.

you win with guys like him, obviously better versions of him, but thats why hes on the 4th, but hes the type of 4th liner you want on the team.

he was pushed up the lineup when there was injuries for a reason, hes better than ur typical 4th liner.

theyll probably bring in some some fringe scrub to replace him. so sick of being fed guys like sestito, bolduc, oreskovich, ebbett etc and our gm trying to convince us theyre good enough

i didn`t like getting rid of torres, didn`t like getting rid of ehrhoff, and im not a fan of getting rid of lapierre. but depends what hes wanting to be paid i guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad