Speculation: Jeff Angus: Canucks to let Max Lapierre go to UFA. (or not, UPD: June 18, 2013)

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver
http://canucksarmy.com/2013/5/16/big-changes-coming-five-core-canucks-who-could-be-traded

...Vancouver is thin up the middle even when he is healthy, and they are going to let Max Lapierre test free agency...

Tweeted him as well to double check...
‏@DJSkead
@anguscertified Reading your article http://canucksarmy.com/2013/5/16/big-changes-coming-five-core-canucks-who-could-be-traded … under the Kesler section it says they're letting Lappy test free agency?! #typo?

‏@anguscertified
@DJSkead no?

Thought Canucks are having a hard enough time finding a 3rd line center, but now finding a new 4th line too?

momo

Jun 20, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yes Canucks are thin up the middle....

...But an issue that has to be dealt is the refs. Canucks cannot change the refs biases against some players. I think this move is being done to get rid of some hate and finally get some toss up calls in the Canucks way.

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver

...But an issue that has to be dealt is the refs. Canucks cannot change the refs biases against some players. I think this move is being done to get rid of some hate and finally get some toss up calls in the Canucks way.

Does that mean 14+17 are headed out as well? Lapierre has less of a reputation than either 14 or 17 imo, Lappy is just an annoying player nothing against the rules in that.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Not surprising, he's due a raise, and they can't afford to pay him that much more for the role he's used in.

Oh man, just read the article. JIMP'd a little at the Edler for Skinner trade proposal.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Really? I personally don't care one way or another. Clearly they have other ideas if they're so comfortable letting him go.

Completely agree, in some canuck circles he walks on water, me I could take him or loose him. He slowed down considerably this year, beside the shootout goal he also made a few bone headed plays that led to costly goals, and I was a big fan of his years prior. He would hit in spurts but was never consistently physical and often to slow on the forcheck. If we are looking for a better relationship with ref's this might also help.

If he stays fine, if he goes im fine to. I know the topic is going to come up whose better for that price, but I am willing to give someone else a shot at this point who is younger even if they are a bit less experienced.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't want him back.

He had been a usefull player here, but had a poor year this past season.

He's also more trouble than he's worth. This team needs a culture change, and letting Lapierre walk is a decent start.

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver
Not surprising, he's due a raise, and they can't afford to pay him that much more for the role he's used in.

Oh man, just read the article. JIMP'd a little at the Edler for Skinner trade proposal.

Won't be happening now... Edler just got 5+game for kneeing E. Staal in the worlds...
doesn't look good.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Wouldn't mind him back as a fourth line C again, but wouldn't be upset if we replaced him with a UFA C like Boyd Gordon.

If he is allowed to walk, it isn't as though he won't be replaced by somebody. Who that somebody is will determine if I'm really happy or sad about him leaving.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Oh no a 4th line center is going to be let go!

Typical.....people want changes except somehow they want changes without actually making any moves.

LaPierre can't be used for much more than 10 minutes a game. He is, as most know by now, a symptom of one of the major problems....complete lack of support scoring from the forwards and an inability to play more than 3 lines when it counts.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

Until the Sedins, Kesler and Burrows are off of this team, we will never ever have the refs calling us fairly. Sure, Dan Sedin doesn't dive, but they don't care about that. All teams dive, but our team has been unfairly ripped apart by the media especially on that SCF run. Kesler's antics in the Kings series has made him look like an absolute clown. I know they have cleaned up their game, but the officials have decided to have a hate on for this team. That Burrows/Auger incident is going to haunt this team for a long time. The one thing that may be able to help this team is if we get a new respected coach that can deal with the officials.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Not thrilled about this, but I would guess they have a plan? He's a very good 4th line C for us, I have no idea why we wouldn't try to keep him. He must be asking for too much, either that or the Canucks are trying to low ball him due to a not too impressive season.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Not surprising at all.

Team wants to improve its imagine and getting rid of Lappy is a start.

I liked the guy for what he brought especially in relation to his salary.

However, Gillis already stated getting younger and it's cheaper to have a guy like Lain in the line-up (Canucks really seem to like him) especially when getting limited minutes.

Couple that with Sedin, Kesler, Schroeder and potentially Roy and you have a number of players ahead of Lappy.

I'd much rather get a cheaper, just as effective option for 4C and spend the necessary $$ upfront where needed.

Canucks can pick up another 4C at the deadline next year if needed.

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver
:facepalm: Was it bad? Or was it the "Oh **** I'm getting walked so I'll stick a leg out" kind?

BKaFu2hCcAACcaN.jpg:large

I'll just leave this here and let you decide... Love him or hate him, Staal doesn't embellish and is considered to be a tough cookie.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Not thrilled about this, but I would guess they have a plan? He's a very good 4th line C for us, I have no idea why we wouldn't try to keep him. He must be asking for too much, either that or the Canucks are trying to low ball him due to a not too impressive season.

Is he though? Is he? He takes a decent number of minor penalties, is not that great on face-offs, has a bit of a reputation with the referees, won't exactly bring more than average amount of scoring for his role and his overall play can be hit and miss from game-to-game. To add to that, he hasn't played with much fire since his first season here.

He's a decent 4th line centre but there are in all likelihood ways to upgrade or get equivalent level of contributions while saving cap sapce.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Makes sense. I think we're going to see an absolute bargain basement 4th line next season similar to what we saw in 10-11 where they spent just over $2M on their 4th line + 13th forward. Given the cap crunch, the Canucks simply don't have the room for a luxury like Lapierre on the 4th line. Every dollar extra they spend on their 4th line is a dollar less they have for a more important position like a top 6 winger.

And it's not like you can't pick one up fairly cheaply at the deadline if the team is looking otherwise solid. I don't see this as an issue at all.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
If we still want to compete for a cup this is a bad move, will be like letting Torres go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->