Sportsnet: JD Bunkis 590 "The days of Nick Robertson being a Maple Leaf are numbered"

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I don't see Robertson being traded in the near future as a very realistic move. He has seen forward progression each season. The Leafs have a lot of room on LW going into future seasons. He hasn't played that many games over the past couple of seasons, having set backs is part of the development process. Sandin and Liljegren took some time, so did Kadri. Why would they have so little patience with Robertson? I don't think he is untouchable but I would be surprised if they move him so soon.

Reactions: meefer

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Friedman also said,

"They have to know the kid is not happy. I want to be careful with this. There is a difference between being unhappy and being selfish. There are people who would look at this and say, “The kid is being selfish because they are doing really well, and he is not happy with his ice time.” I think there is a difference.

He is not going public. He is not complaining. I guarantee you that every day he has reporters going up to him and asking, “How are you doing?” I am sure reporters are reaching out to his people asking, “Are you unhappy here?” They have kept quiet.

He wants to play. He wants to play hockey. I think Toronto knows that you are getting to a point here. They haven’t sent him back to the AHL. To me, there is a reason, and that reason is they realize that while playing is good, he is at the point where it is not really helping him anymore.

I think we are getting to a point where, if they can’t find a spot for him, they know it’s probably time for him to go somewhere else. But it is not the time to bitch about that when the team is going really good. It is also a situation where, at times, you have to keep your mouth shut and let things work out organically. This is one of those times for him."

Realistically, no harm in the AHL. Try again next year. He's just some 2nd round pick, he's not some blue chip guy. Guys who've higher in the draft are still down there.

I guarantee if he produces half decent, they dress him and problem solved. If Robertson doesn't deserve to be up, that's a Nick Robertson problem.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
God forbid we keep the guy with heart and a motor over vanilla cap eaters. I play him every night, maximize his development for the playoffs, maybe he can contribute.
Perfect time to give him some traction with a steady run of NHL games. Even if he has to be benched in game, he can learn on the job while being insulated.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
NYR, easy.
Yeah, that's my feeling too but is that because he was a 1OA? NYR seems to have a window now...does Robertson potentially help them more now? Do they need to move on from Lafreniere? Is SDA enough to bridge the PR gap? Probably not.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Only way moving Robertson isn't an L is if we win the cup.

lol what? If we get a better player than him thats a win. I don't know about you but I'd take Bo Horvat over Robertson everyday of the week. There's also a shit ton of d prospects that I'd flip Robertson straight up for if that opportunity was available.

Again that doesn't mean I don't like Robertson, but if trading him makes our team better, the leafs have to absolutely take it.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The issue with Robertson is he plays in the AHL how he played in the OHL and can get away with it. He still has time and space to rip the puck, and he plays like a superstar waiting to be set up to use it.

I notice he is playing the same way in the NHL and it doesn't work. NHL players are not looking to just set up some kid, he has to do more than stand in open ice. And it seems teams are taking away his space to use his shot and he is trying to force it when he does have a shot.

I think this is why he has been up. They are trying to get him to mature his game at this level and see how these players play. If they feel he is too stubborn or incapable of adjusting how he plays, I can 100% see them selling on him in a package for a win now player.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It's not a stretch that teams would have some interest! Robbie was a big goal scorer in the O, he has good bloodlines and the media in Toronto are telling anybody who'll listen that the Coach has it in for him and won't play him.

Problem is though how does he have any real value if he isn't getting ice?

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Once the kid goes on a heater he’ll be fine. Once you feel like you are contributing (and he will) your mind set really starts to change.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I didn’t say he doesn’t want to, but there’s always a risk with NCAA players. The current agreement gives them a lot more control. They can dictate their futures much more than a CHL player. So there’s always an uneasiness or uncertainty with them.

So many instances where it’s happened, Adam Fox for example, Jimmy Vesey

And the leafs have also benefited from it with Zach Hyman.

We’ve also been on the wrong side of it before with Dominic Toninanto and Dakota Joshua, luckily the latter two haven’t had a huge impact in the NHL thus far.

Is it? If we can include Robertson in a deal to get Bo Horvat is that an L? If he helps us win multiple rounds and even potentially a Stanley Cup?
And if they get knocked out in the first round? Again. Robertson is a good young player that just needs time.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
And if they get knocked out in the first round? Again. Robertson is a good young player that just needs time.

That’s the risk you take being a contender. Just make sure the trade is a value trade if you do go that route.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Bunkis is a dumbass
Kyper is a dumbass
Friedman has fallen off quite a bit

If the return is decent I'm open to moving him, but he will for sure be a top 6 winger in the league. If this is true, Dubas is likely going all in on a stud, I know there's been chatter about Patty Kane would be a good fit. Chicago is a rebuilding team looking for prospects picks, Leafs wanna win now and if they eat salary we can fit him.

1st + Robertson + some for Patty Kane would be legit.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Bunkis is the definition of a hack

The issue with Robertson is he plays in the AHL how he played in the OHL and can get away with it. He still has time and space to rip the puck, and he plays like a superstar waiting to be set up to use it.

I notice he is playing the same way in the NHL and it doesn't work. NHL players are not looking to just set up some kid, he has to do more than stand in open ice. And it seems teams are taking away his space to use his shot and he is trying to force it when he does have a shot.

I think this is why he has been up. They are trying to get him to mature his game at this level and see how these players play. If they feel he is too stubborn or incapable of adjusting how he plays, I can 100% see them selling on him in a package for a win now player.

This is pretty much it. Robertson can either get his shot off quick and inaccurate or slow and accurate. He beats goaltenders clean routinely, but the puck is usually wide or high. Once he learns how to get his shot off quick and accurate, he’ll be a helluva sniper in this league.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Dec.1/22 podcast fan 590. He said this shortly after confirming with Elliote Friedman.

At this point it's not even a hot take anymore. I've heard Kypreos, Friedman, and Butkis now.

Butkis asked Friedman: "Are the Leafs taking calls on him right now?"

Friedman: "Absolutely"

He wants to play and isn't as regularly as he would prefer. It is both the pro and con of playing for a big franchise that is doing well in the standings. Veterans like Simmonds are also not playing, the difference is he is a vet and made his career earnings and passed waivers, he understands that this isn't an easy lineup to crack though. Different situation but similar desire to play I'm sure.

No player should ever be truly untouchable (though theoretically of course there are certain unique franchise players), it's about winning. If he can be traded for a player a little further along who brings a hard forecheck, you have to be willing to trade the big offensive upside if you can get the right player for a couple of years.

It can't help Robertson seeing his brother light it up. It also might bring some more eyes to Nick because managers love pedigree and high end potential. Nick has shown he has some talent, he could break through at any moment and teams are willing to roll the dice on such players.

It's about managing the team and the franchise objective of winning a Cup at this point (yes, I know they haven't won a round), whomever is on board and whatever role required. Taking calls is part of the business.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
We care what JD Bunkis says now? Lol.
Sadly there are people who give a shite what the maroon called Dinky or Duncegle happens to be drooling on about.

TBH JD seemes to be doing a pretty decent job, yes the Robertson thing is obvious, but I took a little time and listened to his interview/talk with Elliot last week and have listened to his after game stuff occasionally and whereas Dungpiles star is already fading because it's almost all schtick, Bunkis seems to at least have a pretty even handed approach.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Firstly, a guy like Butkis doesn't strike me as someone with too many ins with the current front office. Not to mention it's hardly likely that the Leafs under Dubas' have any overall negative sentiments towards Robertson. He WAS a Dubas' draft pick after all....

That said IF the Leafs are looking to make a bigger trade this tdl and don't want to move either Knies or the 2023 1st, then unfortunately Robertson becomes one of the more attractive trade chips. So I wouldn't view his as an untouchable piece

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad