Sportsnet: JD Bunkis 590 "The days of Nick Robertson being a Maple Leaf are numbered"

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
At times it looks like he's forcing it.
Makes low percentage plays hoping for success?
Maybe something just has to click for him?

Maybe a couple of good games breaks him out. His best game was against Dallas and we play Dallas tomorrow. Or maybe Robbie is left behind in Dallas ??

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
San Jose receives

Robertson , Engvall , Niemelä , Kerfoot , 4th Rd pick.

Toronto receives

Erik Karlsson , Timo Meier , 3rd Rd pick.

T3
Isn't the rumour that San Jose is entertaining offers for Karlsson in order to extend Meier?

Can't see that ask being entertained nor the relationship between Toronto and San Jose strengthened by it; Wouldn't those assets be best split and 1st round picks (mulitple?) serve as the starter to entertain a trade?

Would love Meier in the fold that's for sure.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Isn't the rumour that San Jose is entertaining offers for Karlsson in order to extend Meier?

Can't see that ask being entertained nor the relationship between Toronto and San Jose strengthened by it; Wouldn't those assets be best split and 1st round picks (mulitple?) serve as the starter to entertain a trade?

Would love Meier in the fold that's for sure.
The "T3" is not just a throw back to Eklund rumours or my favorite pill, it's to get a 3rd team involved that would have to be involved in this mix to take on caphits like Muzzin and Kerfoot and balance things out for all involved. If we are parting with quality prospects like Robertson and Niemelä why not throw in a good pick or two and hit a homerun is my thinking. I'm honestly not even really that high on Karlsson and think Meier is a great fit for sure.

Also if we found a taker for JT and his massive caphit we could fit in EK and upgrade all around. I really admire Tavares's style of play and his technical savvy but IMO lack of intangibles and the fact that he is one bad hit away from Robidas island makes our captain expendable and hands the room over to Matthews and Marner.

That's just how I feel about our roster. ♨️☕🚀

Reactions: ITM

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Short term, that deal would be REALLY good.

Timo is a RFA with a QO of $10 mil next year or you have to lock him up to a big ticket long term contract with Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Samsonov all due for new contracts in the next year to 3 years. Long term Timo could affect the Leafs ability to sign one of the big 3.

Leaf fans who think we are going to pick up a big ticket player need to stop. Dubas has tinkered for the last 4 years, his big tickets are already on the team, he is not going to change his approach.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I've always liked Nick as a prospect. He's obviously got a great skillset. NHL release, hungry on pucks, and an ability to make plays with the puck. But there are undeniable flaws to his game as well. He should be playing in the top 6 with his skillset, but he more often then not chases the game at this point in his career. I do think he will eventually put it all together at the NHL level, because he's shown flashes of doing just that. Right now his consistency is just not there.

I don't think at this point it's because of lack of opportunity. How many games in the top 6 does Nick expect? produce or sit. Pretty simple. He's played 13 games this season, and I think he's played over half of those games on a line with JT, Mitch, and/or Willy. Not to mention he has gotten some scraps on the PP2. I am not buying this idea that he's not gotten an opportunity this season. He's gotten just about the same opportunity to take that 2LW spot as pretty well anyone else on the team TBH.

The only thing Nick can be upset with IMO was not making the team out of camp because of cap restraints. He absolutely deserved a spot on the opening night roster and was robbed of that. But it's not like he hasn't been given some runway here.

If Nick is genuinely upset about his usage, I suggest he do something about it to make sure he is used more.

That said, this is all hearsay and we can't confirm any of these rumblings. I will say, he's definitely available in my books. Not because I've lost belief in him, but I just think if we can package him in a deal to acquire a player who can get us to the next level I am all for it. I really would love Bo Horvat on our team, and I think we have the pieces to make that deal happen. I am usually not a fan of mortgaging the future, but I think I am comfortable doing that for a guy like Bo, who is playing his best hockey and even when he is not is a very effective 200ft player.

To Van:
Kerfoot, Robertson, Niemela, 1st

To Tor:
Horvat, Schenn

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Doubt you get much back for him unless Dallas wants to overpay to reunite the Robertson brothers.

Play him, send him down, trade him, sit him in that order for me.
I like that idea

Jason Robertson + 2nd 2023

SDA + Kerfoot

I'd say that's a bit of an overpayment!

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I’m not against trading Robertson depending what the return is. He is still young but besides his first game he has been under whelming. I’d like to see him have a good run of games in the top 6 for the next few weeks.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think the other teams say no to those offers and other teams offer more. No one does us any favours and least of all Dubas. Vancouver wants to dump Boeser who isn't the guy we need unless he comes cheap. He is high risk.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Leave Robertson in the top 6 for the next few weeks and see what happens. Not someone we should be giving up on just yet.

Reactions: Metroid

snipes29

Sep 24, 2022
Trade Malgin before Robertson.

At least give him ten games in a row instead of fourth line mins every other two weeks!
agree but the problem is Keefe hes a clown if a young guy makes a mistake on the ice he is banished to the stands yet his super human core players who never show up when it counts never get benched or rarerly miss a shift? Your eyes tell you who is playing well? but because their payed so much money it doesn't matter if their dog shit any given night

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They give up on this kid and they should be fired immediately after the trade. He doesn't have value at this point to make a difference but his potential seems high. Why trade that sort of asset. You take care of them and help them along to make the best player you can develop.

Reactions: banks

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
LOL these talking head types are in business of getting clicks man .. when they put out hot takes it is good for their business .. Leafs are working to get Jakob C from Yotes .. i think Robertson, Sandin and Leafs 1st 2023 gets er done .. this has been an ongoing discussion and our Leafs are not only ones in mix as Sabres are serious too .. Leafs are waiting too to see where Muzzy is at .. so a few variables in da mix here .. i put odds at 50/50 we get a deal done closer to TDL

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00