Sportsnet: JD Bunkis 590 "The days of Nick Robertson being a Maple Leaf are numbered"

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
LOL these talking head types are in business of getting clicks man .. when they put out hot takes it is good for their business .. Leafs are working to get Jakob C from Yotes .. i think Robertson, Sandin and Leafs 1st 2023 gets er done .. this has been an ongoing discussion and our Leafs are not only ones in mix as Sabres are serious too .. Leafs are waiting too to see where Muzzy is at .. so a few variables in da mix here .. i put odds at 50/50 we get a deal done closer to TDL
That’s a terrible trade, but it’s Dubas sooooo

Reactions: notDatsyuk

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldnt trade Robertson, he can already replace Kerfoot in my books. He will make mistakes for now but in 40 more games, he will he adapting. Kerfoot has 1 goal in 26 games, I never thought he fit into this team since Day 1. If someone looks at Kerfoots past stat's on paper he looks decent, but that is not the case. Kerfoot produces points usually in non important situations. He also takes stupid selfish penalties when he loses his cool. Kerfoot probably has less trade value based on the unknown of Robertson's ceiling at this point. I would trade Kerfoot and Sandin for a defenseman. I would not trade the first round pick but Dubas loves to trade the pick or trade down and pretend he is the genius picking up an extra pick.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This team is 4th overall in the entire league, they are batting Boston for top spot in the Atlantic and by extension top spot in the NHL ANYTHING they can do to make This team better they need to do.

If For example St Louis continues to fall either Tank or ROR becomes available and St Louis wants Robertson in a package then you put Robertson in that package.

This isn't the time to f*** around guys, Matthews is just under 7 months away from being extension eligible.

This is the all in year it has to be.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This team is 4th overall in the entire league, they are batting Boston for top spot in the Atlantic and by extension top spot in the NHL ANYTHING they can do to make This team better they need to do.

If For example St Louis continues to fall either Tank or ROR becomes available and St Louis wants Robertson in a package then you put Robertson in that package.

This isn't the time to f*** around guys, Matthews is just under 7 months away from being extension eligible.

Crazy talk! Robertson does not bring anything good enough to sacrifice his potential for. It would be Hockey equivalent to the development of the Avro Arrow. Design it, Engineer it, Test it a bit and just stop and throw it away.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Crazy talk! Robertson does not bring anything good enough to sacrifice his potential for. It would be Hockey equivalent to the development of the Avro Arrow. Design it, Engineer it, Test it a bit and just stop and throw it away.

I said "package"

Not 1 for 1

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Maybe for a guy we can extend, but that's not a good trade, if we can't extend.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wouldnt trade Robertson, he can already replace Kerfoot in my books. He will make mistakes for now but in 40 more games, he will he adapting. Kerfoot has 1 goal in 26 games, I never thought he fit into this team since Day 1. If someone looks at Kerfoots past stat's on paper he looks decent, but that is not the case. Kerfoot produces points usually in non important situations. He also takes stupid selfish penalties when he loses his cool. Kerfoot probably has less trade value based on the unknown of Robertson's ceiling at this point. I would trade Kerfoot and Sandin for a defenseman. I would not trade the first round pick but Dubas loves to trade the pick or trade down and pretend he is the genius picking up an extra pick.
That’s one positive about holding onto Robertson. He may get pushed in and out of the lineup this year and it’ll definitely be a learning curve but with Kerfoot gone next year it opens up a spot on either the second or third line permanently for him and it helps in terms of being able to use some of Kerfoot’s salary towards re-signing Bunting.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker and kb

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That’s one positive about holding onto Robertson. He may get pushed in and out of the lineup this year and it’ll definitely be a learning curve but with Kerfoot gone next year it opens up a spot on either the second or third line permanently for him and it helps in terms of being able to use some of Kerfoot’s salary towards re-signing Bunting.

Kerfoot is a running gag. No pun intended.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Maybe for a guy we can extend, but that's not a good trade, if we can't extend.

I think you trade even for the rental, how many years of mediocrity should we settle for? At some point you have to gamble. As long as Knies isn’t the one traded, I would give any prospect to get ROR or Bo Horvat. We have to get over the hump. If everyone says Dubas is a master at drafting, then trading 1 prospect isn’t going to kill us, especially if we are going for it.

Tampa has been doing that for years and it works out because they identify the right guys. It will work for us too if we identify the right guys. We can’t hold onto the Foligno mistake forever.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think you trade even for the rental, how many years of mediocrity should we settle for? At some point you have to gamble. As long as Knies isn’t the one traded, I would give any prospect to get ROR or Bo Horvat. We have to get over the hump. If everyone says Dubas is a master at drafting, then trading 1 prospect isn’t going to kill us, especially if we are going for it.

Tampa has been doing that for years and it works out because they identify the right guys. It will work for us too if we identify the right guys. We can’t hold onto the Foligno mistake forever.

So this year is the all in, and forget about it from there? That's not the prospect you move. Sorry.

Reactions: kb

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So this year is the all in, and forget about it from there? That's not the prospect you move. Sorry.
Does that even make sense? Moving one prospect from your pool doesn’t mean that next year is a wash. People don’t give the Leafs prospect pool enough credit. The Marlies is full of guys ready to be full time NHLer’s. Every team that has gone on to win a cup has made that tough decision to move on from a young player to add a more seasoned player and they are fine years after. So this woah is me, mortgaging the future act is so tiresome.

Moving Nick Robertson doesn’t hurt the roster. We have Knies who is likely to be on the team next year, Steeves who can likely step in, Abruzzese who has played NHL games already, SDA, Holmberg, and that’s not to mention the cheap players you can find in UFA.

At some point you gotta push for the cup. That’s going to cost you a prospect.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Shanny won't go for 2/3 rooks in his starting D core come playoff time .. what you see in pro hockey pre XMAS it not what you see in pro hockey once playoffs heat up in new year and then it is on another level come playoff time .. it will be 5 playoffs vet D minimum and most likely 6 .. if Muzzy is out then we will use space to add another 2 guys like him .. Brodie Rielly Benn TRADE TRADE TRADE maybe Lily as 6th maybe not .. Sandin not likely to remain with team

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Shanny won't go for 2/3 rooks in his starting D core come playoff time .. what you see in pro hockey pre XMAS it not what you see in pro hockey once playoffs heat up in new year and then it is on another level come playoff time .. it will be 5 playoffs vet D minimum and most likely 6 .. if Muzzy is out then we will use space to add another 2 guys like him .. Brodie Rielly Benn TRADE TRADE TRADE maybe Lily as 6th maybe not .. Sandin not likely to remain with team

If Sandin goes it better be for a big piece

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Does that even make sense? Moving one prospect from your pool doesn’t mean that next year is a wash. People don’t give the Leafs prospect pool enough credit. The Marlies is full of guys ready to be full time NHLer’s. Every team that has gone on to win a cup has made that tough decision to move on from a young player to add a more seasoned player and they are fine years after. So this woah is me, mortgaging the future act is so tiresome.

Moving Nick Robertson doesn’t hurt the roster. We have Knies who is likely to be on the team next year, Steeves who can likely step in, Abruzzese who has played NHL games already, SDA, Holmberg, and that’s not to mention the cheap players you can find in UFA.

At some point you gotta push for the cup. That’s going to cost you a prospect.

I disagree. Moving talented ELC contracts, for a one chance isn't wise. Picks, sure, no problem. B level guys, Steeves, Abruzzese, SDA, Holmberg even... sure. But not Robertson, Knies guys.

Depth type guys are easy to replace, for relatively cheap. Potential top six guys are more expensive.

Reactions: kb

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I disagree. Moving talented ELC contracts, for a one chance isn't wise. Picks, sure, no problem. B level guys, Steeves, Abruzzese, SDA, Holmberg even... sure. But not Robertson, Knies guys.

Depth type guys are easy to replace, for relatively cheap. Potential top six guys are more expensive.

I know Robertson is a good prospect but I’m not sure he’s an A Level prospect. I hope they give him time to develop and allow him the opportunity to grow, but I’ll take a legit shot at a cup this year and hopefully round wins over 1 prospect who may or may not be a impact guy.

If the names aren’t Knies and maybe Niemela, the leafs should 100% be listening and including them in a deal that makes us better. If you can parlay him into a player with term even better. But O’Reilly or Horvat I’d easily trade Robertson for even if it’s one year, because they would make our team that much better.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
The way he's used it seems like Keefe has made up his mind about him

Hopefully we can get an ok package if we decide to move him

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Example.

Pick in round 2 if he get X goals Y assists.
Pick in round 3 if he gets X-n goals and Y-n assists.

I know they eliminated some options on trades.
Ahhh OK, the only thing I'm aware of that's allowable if there's an option on a draft pick or a resign but performance type clauses aren't allowed anymore as per rules governing SPC's.

Blue team receives at trade deadline;

Player A + optional 2nd rnd pick

if Blue team wins SC and player A plays a minimum of X number of games the 2nd then becomes a 1st

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ahhh OK, the only thing I'm aware of that's allowable if there's an option on a draft pick, but performance type clauses

Such as Blue team receives at trade deadline;

Player A + optional 2nd rnd pick if Blue team wins SC and player A plays a minimum of X number of games the 2nd then becomes a 1st

I believe the "if Player A re-signs" is no longer permitted.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I feel like they've really mismanaged Robertson. This team has been so desperate for secondary scoring, that they've just been yo-yoing this young prospect up and down to the Leafs/Marlies for years.

Go look at how we developed Brown, Johnsson, Moore, Engvall, Hyman, etc (i.e. guys that we successfully developed). These guys weren't given a taste of NHL action until they had ~100+, and in some cases ~150-200+ games against men, whether that was in the AHL, SHL, NCAA, etc. They weren't brought up until they were ~23+ years old.

Robertson though? He's only 21 years old right now (i.e. younger than when any of those guys got their first taste of NHL action), and he's already been brought up to the NHL in each of the past 3 seasons. He should have zero NHL games under his belt right now. He's not ready today, and certainly wasn't ready when they rushed him into the lineup as a 19 year old. He should be focused on developing his game in the AHL right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00