Sportsnet: JD Bunkis 590 "The days of Nick Robertson being a Maple Leaf are numbered"

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Blah blah blah ... everyone is always available for a price blah blah ..
Shit we say all the time , nothing new

Maybe we could trade him to dallas for a brother reunion for wyat johnston lol (obviously im joking)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Leaf Rocket and kb

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Think Dallas needs to add as Robertson didnt play for the Soo or under 6' ft tall. Lol
1617744403466.gif

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
They will regret trading him. So many fans are ridiculous in their assessment of him. Even the best goal scorers dont score every game. Kid wants to be great and has the work ethic and success of his brother to drive him. Kid is a player and will prove many of his critics wrong. Then they will criticize Dubas like Marchment and co. Give him a full season To prove he belongs.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Bunkis is trying to making a name for himself, but if I had that name like that I'd be going to a lawyer and changing it.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Lol this is so stupid. Nick has missed a lot of time with injury and just turned 21, and has still shown consistent improvement each year.

This reminds me of when people wanted to run Kadri out of town when he was 22 and then he 'finally' broke out and became a fan favourite.

Nick has that competitive fire in him, just give him some time.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
For some perspective, look at the 2019 draft class by games played. Only 12 guys have even played 80+ total games to date, and from that group the only standouts have been Hughes, Zegras, Seider and Caufield. Hughes is literally a first overall pick who had Matthews-like pedigree, while Zegras and Seider were also top 10 selections, and Caufield should've been a top 10 pick as well but slipped to #15 and Montreal got a steal. I guess you could technically include Byram (4th overall) in this too as he won a Cup and has shown some promise but he's had various health issues as well. Boldy (12th overall) falls a little shy of the games cutoff but he has been impressive as well.

Then there are some guys who are only just starting to make some noise now, like Kirby Dach, who Chicago gave up on, Dylan Cozens and and Kaliyev. Dach and Cozens were also top 10 selections.

Robertson is a late second rounder, expectations should be tempered a little bit.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Why would they even think about trading him now???

Because we have a surplus of winger/offensive prospects. If you can flip him for a defensive prospect, top 4 defenseman to bolster their line up or even package him for a top 6 center/Forward you have to listen to that.

The leafs are in win now mode. Robertson is a good player but it’s possible he’s not the best fit with this group. But they need to give him a good stretch of 30/40 games to figure that out. Maybe even a year tbh. That doesn’t mean that the leafs think Robertson is bad. But you have to look for ways to upgrade.

Tampa traded Drouin, hell Philly traded us JVR lol. Teams do move on from top picks.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Our media here is just so cringe. They just can't help themselves. We have no cap space and need good young players on their ELCs. We can't rely on $1m bargin signings ever year to fill out the roster, because we need a warm body.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Robertson was drafted late in the second round in 2019 and there's only 5 guys ahead of him in career games played in the 2nd round. He's exactly where he should be if you base it on draft position and development time (lost), but it feels behind because Dubas and Keefe tried accelerating him in the playoff bubble in the summer of 2020.

That said, your feelings on his upside and skillset/play style can also influence you on whether you think there's a long term fit for him.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
It would be painful to see Robertson go when we're a budget team and we have guys like Kerfoot, Engvall, Jarnkrok being prioritzed over him.
Kerfoot and Engvall are UFAs next season.

Jarnkrok better be prioritized. Dubas has him signed for three more seasons.

Reactions: Roadhog

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Using Robertson as a trade asset is not an indictment on him. No one is implying that he sucks. Toronto only has 4 picks in the draft this year. Robertson will not play ahead of MM, WN, JT, and AM in the top 6. He doesn't really have the make up to play in the bottom 6. Toronto needs to use someone of value in order to get someone of value back. Dubas needs to bolster his roster somehow.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I get why the kid is frustrated. He won a job at camp, nada. He gets called up only due to injuries, has some great moments, some learning ones, he’s out of the lineup and watches other guys stink up the joint and stay in night after night. He’s our prospect, we drafted and developed him, if we cut bait now, it’s a huge mistake. With Jarnkrok out, he plays, so the heat is off, but I’d be looking at trading a bum like Engvall ( how can we possible replace the sixth forward on the PK, the horror) instead. I feel pretty confident we end up regretting a trade. For my money, Keefe has mishandled him.

Oh ya, and Bunkis doesn’t know anything.

Reactions: geo25

horner

May 22, 2007
As opposed to Knies in which they aren't taking calls..
One difference is .
We don't have any prospect with his size and net front presence.
He also seems to get involved physically , which we are in short supply of.
Don't you want to see what we have in this player.

Reactions: Tarmore

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
One difference is .
We don't have any prospect with his size and net front presence.
He also seems to get involved physically , which we are in short supply of.
Don't you want to see what we have in this player.

The difference is really fantasy on the part of a shock talking head on the fan and a known S^&t disturber on this board.

Could the Leafs be taking calls (on all players) ? Sure, I would expect them to. Always looking to make the team better and if an opportunity opens up to make the team better, take advantage, regardless of the player traded.

Do I expect that Robertson will be traded? No, especially when a spot opened up for him in the top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad