Sportsnet: JD Bunkis 590 "The days of Nick Robertson being a Maple Leaf are numbered"

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Dec.1/22 podcast fan 590. He said this shortly after confirming with Elliote Friedman.

At this point it's not even a hot take anymore. I've heard Kypreos, Friedman, and Butkis now.

Butkis asked Friedman: "Are the Leafs taking calls on him right now?"

Friedman: "Absolutely"

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Friedman also said,

"They have to know the kid is not happy. I want to be careful with this. There is a difference between being unhappy and being selfish. There are people who would look at this and say, “The kid is being selfish because they are doing really well, and he is not happy with his ice time.” I think there is a difference.

He is not going public. He is not complaining. I guarantee you that every day he has reporters going up to him and asking, “How are you doing?” I am sure reporters are reaching out to his people asking, “Are you unhappy here?” They have kept quiet.

He wants to play. He wants to play hockey. I think Toronto knows that you are getting to a point here. They haven’t sent him back to the AHL. To me, there is a reason, and that reason is they realize that while playing is good, he is at the point where it is not really helping him anymore.

I think we are getting to a point where, if they can’t find a spot for him, they know it’s probably time for him to go somewhere else. But it is not the time to bitch about that when the team is going really good. It is also a situation where, at times, you have to keep your mouth shut and let things work out organically. This is one of those times for him."

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
You'd think after seeing the Sandin situation play out the kids would have a lick of patience.
Definitely sire. Some of (many of these) New school noob brats is very selfish and have born with a gold spoon in their ass. Thats what makes then arrogant and stupid. They didnt have to work a day in their lives. Just inherit rich parents money and stock and bidnesses. No poor babies play ice hockey anymore period.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
You'd think after seeing the Sandin situation play out the kids would have a lick of patience.
I think Elliotte's quote gives a lot more context than what Bunkis provided.

Elliotte explained that Robertson is not complaining and isn't making any requests. It's human nature that he's upset about not playing.

That's a major difference from what Bunkis is trying to portray.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think Elliotte's quote gives a lot more context than what Bunkis provided.

Elliotte explained that Robertson is not complaining and isn't making any requests. It's human nature that he's upset about not playing.

That's a major difference from what Bunkis is trying to portray.

Not that I think Robertson is doing anything wrong, he seems to have a good attitude and work ethic, just it's a long season and injuries happen. He went from the AHL to having a minimum two week audition with a top 15C and a top 5W on his line in the span of a month and a half. A guy in his situation in Arizona might get 2nd line minutes gifted from day 1 but they'd never have an opportunity to play with a Tavares/Marner level talent, let alone two.

Just like Sandin was upset about being pencilled in for #7 minutes and 2 months in is now playing #1 minutes on a top-5 team.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Not that I think Robertson is doing anything wrong, he seems to have a good attitude and work ethic, just it's a long season and injuries happen. He went from the AHL to having a minimum two week audition with a top 15C and a top 5W on his line in the span of a month and a half. A guy in his situation in Arizona might get 2nd line minutes gifted from day 1 but they'd never have an opportunity to play with a Tavares/Marner level talent, let alone two.

Just like Sandin was upset about being pencilled in for #7 minutes and 2 months in is now playing #1 minutes on a top-5 team.
Toronto, if there are no trade rumours, make one up. You don't just dump Robertson just because. Could he be trade sweetener, sure.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I hope this isn't the case. That said, a trade is much better evaluated when knowing all (or at least more) of the particulars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad