News Article: JC says veterans have right attitude

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
We don't have Panarin now, or a young and established top-4 D.

I must not have read back far enough and you guys must be arguing about something else. Again, thought it was about the return in the Panarin trade.
Exactly. We are out on Panarin right now, but we have Saad. So instead of having Saad right now, we could have had a young blue liner, like you mentioned, for Panarin.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
JC in his post game said, “they played like men and we didnt”....

??

Nothing like kicking your boys while they’re down. This guy won’t last talking like that in the media

Reactions: ColdSteel2

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
JC in his post game said, “they played like men and we didnt”....

??

Nothing like kicking your boys while they’re down. This guy won’t last talking like that in the media

I disagree here. They played like shit and should get called for it. We vs They. They have consistently failed to show up in the first. Last night was no different.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
With the way Q never tossed the guys under the bus like that, I can see it being a big negative, especially in today’s day and age

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Q also didn't hesitate to call guys out. It wasn't that blunt, but he made things very clear over time when he thought somebody was bad and didn't hesitate to do so in his own way. I don't have an issue with it, and it being different than what happened previously is probably not the worst thing. You made a change for a reason. See how it goes.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Q also didn't hesitate to call guys out. It wasn't that blunt, but he made things very clear over time when he thought somebody was bad and didn't hesitate to do so in his own way. I don't have an issue with it, and it being different than what happened previously is probably not the worst thing. You made a change for a reason. See how it goes.

Ya he’d say they were “fine” and “okay”

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
They don’t need to be treated like special snowflakes either. If they played like **** there is nothing wrong with saying so.

If he keeps it up, the rubes in this town will start turning on them and they know it. They know how this town can be.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
And it’s also the better way to handle people. They get the message but you don’t embarrass them.
They don’t need to be treated like special snowflakes either. If they played like **** there is nothing wrong with saying so.

I don't think there's anything wrong with either approach. Each approach will create a different response from different players.

Some people need to be screamed at to be motivated, some people need a gentle nudge. I'm guessing each coach knows what style certain players they're trying to reach respond best to.

If the core responds best to being called out, then Colliton obviously did the right thing last night.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
And it’s also the better way to handle people. They get the message but you don’t embarrass them.

They're grown men. Not kids to be coddled(and I have a problem doing it with kids even). Biggest issue with this country these days is the "p***yfication" of America. Everybody makes the team, everybody wins, everybody gets a trophy. There's no last place, only a last winner. It is out of control. There's nothing to drive kids to be better, and to accomplish more, and to work harder, anymore. No motivation for them to do it. Which is why I pushed my daughter super hard with her cheerleading this year, and learning her gymnastics/tumbling stuff for it, etc. She was upset they got last place in their first competition of the year. Driving home she's crying, and whining, the whole 9 yards. I told her to stop crying. I told her that means she, and the rest of the team need to work harder, practice harder, and be better. I asked her if she knew who Michael Jordan was. She answered yes, he's the best basketball player ever, and played for the Bulls. And I told her how he got cut from his high school team. And how it drove him to be better, to practice harder, and work harder. And look where it got him. She listened. She practiced a ton. The team practiced hard. And saw results.

Her cheerleading squad(with 75% of the girls being new to the team and in their first year) proceeded to take 1st in the next competition, 2nd in the following one, and 1st in the last one of the year, a big one - Super CDA, where they were also grand master champions of that competition, with the highest score of the tournament through 3 age brackets.

Don't coddle the kids. They're more resilient than people give them credit for. Motivate them to be better. Through equal parts compassion, tough love, and honesty.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't think there's anything wrong with either approach. Each approach will create a different response from different players.

Some people need to be screamed at to be motivated, some people need a gentle nudge. I'm guessing each coach knows what style certain players they're trying to reach respond best to.

If the core responds best to being called out, then Colliton obviously did the right thing last night.

It is all about balance. I don't think he has tilted one way or the other.

On one side you have people screaming about the CC atmosphere and the other you have people saying that he is too mean, what do people really want? (there is some intentional exaggeration)

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It is all about balance. I don't think he has tilted one way or the other.

On one side you have people screaming about the CC atmosphere and the other you have people saying that he is too mean, what do people really want?

You want balance overall, like you said. You also want a coach tailoring his individual messaging in the way that is most likely to reach the player.

I'm guessing last night's message was primarily directed at Toews, Kane, Keith, and Seabrook.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't think JC is the Torts type coach but I don't think he is Q either. I hope he is a balance of both like we saw a bit in Rockford.

To be clear, Q was special in how he was able to handle the room but you have to have some clout to be able to do what he did. This is part of why he lasted a decade.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
This has nothing to do with the “p***yfication of America” or everybody gets a trophy culture. I just think you can rip them in the room, rip them in private, ripping them to the media is garbage and I’ve always hated it. Everyone’s got an opinion and that’s fine, just that’s mine. You keep everything in house.

This isn’t Rockford where guys are trying to like find their game or whatever. A lot of these guys are old and just don’t have it anymore. It’s calling out people who just don’t have it

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This has nothing to do with the “*****fication of America” or everybody gets a trophy culture. I just think you can rip them in the room, rip them in private, ripping them to the media is garbage and I’ve always hated it. Everyone’s got an opinion and that’s fine just that’s mine. You keep everything in house.

This isn’t Rockford where guys are trying to like find their game or whatever. A lot of these guys are old and just don’t have it anymore. It’s calling out people who just don’t have it

There's basically like two players on this team that "just don't have it" anymore. Seabs, and Kunitz.(and a couple who never had it). The rest deserve to be ripped. Why not to the media? It shows the fanbase that the players will be held accountable if playing terrible. Again, these are grown men. It shouldn't embarrass them. It should piss them off, and make them want to play better. It should motivate them to be better. I get why he would do it. If nothing else is working to motivate them, maybe this will?

I respect your opinion, just don't agree with it.

The p***yfication of America was only brought up by me because everyone is afraid to hold people accountable these days. Everyone is afraid to not be PC. Everyone is afraid to hurt someone's feelings. f*** that. Tell it like it is. If someone looks like shit, then say it. Don't coddle them. That does nothing for them. It's a disservice to them.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This has nothing to do with the “*****fication of America” or everybody gets a trophy culture. I just think you can rip them in the room, rip them in private, ripping them to the media is garbage and I’ve always hated it. Everyone’s got an opinion and that’s fine, just that’s mine. You keep everything in house.

That’s where I’m at. Keep it behind closed doors. Calling them out in the media isn’t helping anyway, try something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad