News Article: JC says veterans have right attitude

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
To quote Homer Simpson:

If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way.

They've got the right attitude alright.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If you think any of the players in that room right now care about anything other than their individual stats you are kidding yourself, this coach is clueless and I am pretty sure doesn’t get the respect of the veterans and even if he does it’s just them being professional, it doesn’t come from them looking at his as their superior or coach or someone who is teaching you the game. JC has to go IMO, he needs another 5 years in the A, it was a bad move to bring him up now, wait till the guy is 40 FFS.

Are you saying the country club boys are fighting back? They liked it just fine as it was?

A few of us have said for months, if not years, that this club is severely dysfunctional and firing the coach was only step one in finding the remedy. Since it looks like Stan has a reprieve it is time for JC to get aggressive and put his stamp on this team. When JC was hired, if McD and company actually believed the team could compete for a PO spot, that should all be lost now. Throw caution to the wind and coach with the future in mind!

Last edited:

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Are you saying the country club boys are fighting back? They liked it just fine as it was?

A few of us have said for months, if not years, that this club is severely dysfunctional and firing the coach was only step one in finding the remedy. Since it looks like Stan has a reprieve it is time for JC to get aggressive and put his stamp on this team. When JC was hired, if McD and company actually believed the team could compete for a PO spot, that should all be lost now. Throw caution to the wind and coach with the future in mind!

I am not even a county club boy far from it actually BUT you don’t replace country club with garbage. Q as bad as he was icing the perfect roster he had the team playing, he has a bunch of useless players given to him by Stan the man and by the looks of it now he was getting a hell of a lot out of them. JC has made this team the worst team in the league officially by standings...

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Power rankings write up in the Athletic. Sean McIndoe ranks them as the worst in the league:

1. Chicago Blackhawks (9-17-5, -30) – Here’s a sentence you don’t want people to be able to write about you when the season is only 31 games old: They’ve lost seven in a row and it’s not their longest losing streak of the year.
With 18 losses in their last 21, it’s tempting to say that the Blackhawks have flatlined, but that would imply the presence of a line. Instead, let’s say the heartbeat monitor that should be flatlining is just a blank screen. And it’s a blank screen because the machine isn’t plugged in. And the machine isn’t plugged in because it doesn’t have a plug because it’s just an overflowing garbage bag full of coffee grounds and used diapers.
Their season is going poorly. Not sure if I made that clear.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Power rankings write up in the Athletic. Sean McIndoe ranks them as the worst in the league:

1. Chicago Blackhawks (9-17-5, -30) – Here’s a sentence you don’t want people to be able to write about you when the season is only 31 games old: They’ve lost seven in a row and it’s not their longest losing streak of the year.
With 18 losses in their last 21, it’s tempting to say that the Blackhawks have flatlined, but that would imply the presence of a line. Instead, let’s say the heartbeat monitor that should be flatlining is just a blank screen. And it’s a blank screen because the machine isn’t plugged in. And the machine isn’t plugged in because it doesn’t have a plug because it’s just an overflowing garbage bag full of coffee grounds and used diapers.
Their season is going poorly. Not sure if I made that clear.

Love the imagery, need to read this guy’s stuff more, lol. This may be what makes me finally sign up for The Athletic, bravo.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Love the imagery, need to read this guy’s stuff more, lol. This may be what makes me finally sign up for The Athletic, bravo.

Yeah. That's an apt description all right. Most websites/blogs frown on writers saying it like it is when it doesn't include a good dose of sugar coating.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
If you think any of the players in that room right now care about anything other than their individual stats you are kidding yourself, this coach is clueless and I am pretty sure doesn’t get the respect of the veterans and even if he does it’s just them being professional, it doesn’t come from them looking at his as their superior or coach or someone who is teaching you the game. JC has to go IMO, he needs another 5 years in the A, it was a bad move to bring him up now, wait till the guy is 40 FFS.

Love how you think you can pass judgement on a coach that was thrown into the fire in the middle of a season with no time with the players or to implement anything from his coaching style(like a training camp/preseason) and say he is terrible... just further proof that you know nothing about the sport, yet continually try to act like you're the smartest guy in the room. Also proof that you never played the sport at any kind of higher level, either. The fact that you think a month, and 15 games proves anything, is all anyone on here needs to know about you. If you think age has anything to do with respect, then you're also wrong. You know nothing of locker room culture, coach/player relationships, etc. My brother was 21-22 when he coached my high school varsity team(with numerous 17-18 year olds) to two league championships and a final 4 appearance in the state tournament... but yeah, we had no respect for him because he was only 4 years older than us... This post of yours is more clueless than usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: swerdnase

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Awesome description! I love it!
Well at least we have to admit that this incarnation of the Hawks have always been elite at wherever they happen to be. For a good 8 years elite at being elite and now elite at sucking! So much better than being kind of, sort of elite for .. ever ... say like the Blues!!j And of course this way we can get a good few elite prospects come draft time.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Love how you think you can pass judgement on a coach that was thrown into the fire in the middle of a season with no time with the players or to implement anything from his coaching style(like a training camp/preseason) and say he is terrible... just further proof that you know nothing about the sport, yet continually try to act like you're the smartest guy in the room. Also proof that you never played the sport at any kind of higher level, either. The fact that you think a month, and 15 games proves anything, is all anyone on here needs to know about you. If you think age has anything to do with respect, then you're also wrong. You know nothing of locker room culture, coach/player relationships, etc. My brother was 21-22 when he coached my high school varsity team(with numerous 17-18 year olds) to two league championships and a final 4 appearance in the state tournament... but yeah, we had no respect for him because he was only 4 years older than us... This post of yours is more clueless than usual.
pro sports may be a bit different then your high school league championships coached by your brother.

Reactions: Blackhawks

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
pro sports may be a bit different then your high school league championships coached by your brother.

The culture doesn't change as you age. The team experience doesn't change as you age. The relationships between coaches and players don't change as you age. These guys don't disrespect their coach(or not respect him) just because he's their age. The hierarchy of coach and player will still apply, and the level the players are playing at won't change that.

How would it be different? Can you explain why you think it would matter? I wouldn't disrespect a coach no matter the age/level I'm playing at... that's not how you're brought up playing sports. The coach is the authoritative figure in the room, period.

Now if an entire team starts to lose faith in a coach, that's a little different. It happens when there is animosity between large numbers who don't agree with the coach and his philosophy, but that's not what is really being discussed here. It was stated that the handful of seasoned veterans aren't going to respect or listen to Colliton due to his age.

Last edited:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
The culture doesn't change as you age. The team experience doesn't change as you age. The relationships between coaches and players don't change as you age. These guys don't disrespect their coach(or not respect him) just because he's their age. The hierarchy of coach and player will still apply, and the level the players are playing at won't change that.

How would it be different? Can you explain why you think it would matter? I wouldn't disrespect a coach no matter the age/level I'm playing at... that's not how you're brought up playing sports. The coach is the authoritative figure in the room, period.

Now if an entire team starts to lose faith in a coach, that's a little different. It happens when there is animosity between large numbers who don't agree with the coach and his philosophy, but that's not what is really being discussed here. It was stated that the handful of seasoned veterans aren't going to respect or listen to Colliton due to his age.
yes it very much changes as you age. especially when you get teammates or coaches from other countrys or cultures. It isnt 25 guys from the suburbs of chicago all the same age. Its people in all different spots in their lifes and careers. Also from different places from around the world. Some of these players are celebrities and huge figures. Some are young kids looking for a few shifts. The whole experience changes.

these are grown men making there own opinion on these coaches through other experiences. its not kids who are told your coach knows all. just like how you have opinions that differ from people with year and years of hockey experience.

also i want to make it clear i am not that down on JC.

Last edited:

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

The team got so much worse, any other coach would have got so much criticism at this point.

You were so excited when the move happened and you were telling us how things are gonna change towards the good.

16 games later and the team is the worst shape in more than a decade and you tell me how can I judge a coach that was thrown in fire? At the least he could have kept this team at .500 but they are a pathetic 3-11-2 and you wonder why I am talking? Are people that delusional? Yes brother teaching a bunch of high schoolers is the same thing lol

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
yes it very much changes as you age. especially when you get teammates or coaches from other countrys or cultures. It isnt 25 guys from the suburbs of chicago all the same age. Its people in all different spots in their lifes and careers. Also from different places from around the world. Some of these players are celebrities and huge figures. Some are young kids looking for a few shifts. The whole experience changes.

these are grown men making there own opinion on these coaches through other experiences. its not kids who are told your coach knows all. just like how you have opinions that differ from people with year and years of hockey experience.

also i want to make it clear i am not that down on JC.

I don't agree. The coach is the coach. Period. Whether playing peewee hockey, high school hockey, college/juniors, or pros. The coach is the coach. And you respect your coach. That doesn't just change because you age... You think these guys alter what was beaten into their brain since they were 4 or 5 years old just because they get older? :laugh:

Sure, they may talk to their coach differently, they may offer more input, and/or challenge the coach on things. But they still respect him as the coach... Anyone who has played competitive sports would know this...

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The team got so much worse, any other coach would have got so much criticism at this point.

You were so excited when the move happened and you were telling us how things are gonna change towards the good.

16 games later and the team is the worst shape in more than a decade and you tell me how can I judge a coach that was thrown in fire? At the least he could have kept this team at .500 but they are a pathetic 3-11-2 and you wonder why I am talking? Are people that delusional? Yes brother teaching a bunch of high schoolers is the same thing lol

Yeah, because if you had a clue, you'd know it was going to take more than a month to get this turned around with an entirely new coach in the middle of a season... I was excited for the move, and still am. I've seen some positives from Colliton and his coaching. I've also seen some negatives that I'm not too thrilled with. I'm willing to give him more time, though, not make a clueless snap decision based upon 1 month of hockey when he took over in the middle of the season...

Reactions: swerdnase and BK

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Yeah, because if you had a clue, you'd know it was going to take more than a month to get this turned around with an entirely new coach in the middle of a season... I was excited for the move, and still am. I've seen some positives from Colliton and his coaching. I've also seen some negatives that I'm not too thrilled with. I'm willing to give him more time, though, not make a clueless snap decision based upon 1 month of hockey when he took over in the middle of the season...

You are the one that’s gonna get a clue soon enough. Even 50 games in this team is gonna be in shambles and you will still be making excuses just like you make excuses for Stan the man.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

You are the one that’s gonna get a clue soon enough. Even 50 games in this team is gonna be in shambles and you will still be making excuses just like you make excuses for Stan the man.

Yeah. Making excuses Sure looks like it. :laugh:

This has nothing to do with Stan, btw. We're talking about the coaching. You're reaching BWC levels of obsession with him.

Find a post where I made any excuses for Stan, btw. I'll wait.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Yeah. Making excuses Sure looks like it. :laugh:

This has nothing to do with Stan, btw. We're talking about the coaching. You're reaching BWC levels of obsession with him.

Find a post where I made any excuses for Stan, btw. I'll wait.

Off the top of my head yesterday you liked a post by BK stating that Stan is a good GM. Anyone who thinks that guy is anything other than clulesss is just straight up delusional or kidding themselves, if you are not making excuses out loud you are centeianly making excuses in your head to convince you that all those horrendous moves he made are no big deal and he is still a good GM.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
The problem may not and probably isn't Colliton at all when it comes to the Vets. I believe they are very unhappy with Bowman and other upper managment which is affecting their play. If I were one of the vets, I would feel the same way. Managment has screwed with us the team and I'm going to screw with them. It seems obvious that the Core of vets is not happy with management which I don't blame them. What has Bowman done to make them happy and encourage them to play their best? Nothing!! No one can tell me that the core aren't very discouraged right now.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Off the top of my head yesterday you liked a post by BK stating that Stan is a good GM. Anyone who thinks that guy is anything other than clulesss is just straight up delusional or kidding themselves, if you are not making excuses out loud you are centeianly making excuses in your head to convince you that all those horrendous moves he made are no big deal and he is still a good GM.

That's your evidence? I liked a post? ......

He has made some bad moves and bad signings. Yes. All GMs do at one point or another. He's also made good ones too. I think he has done more good than bad, overall. His trades the last couple years have been more bad than good(although I like this Strome/Perlini trade and the Murphy trade). He drafts extremely well, and always has. Where do I make excuses for him in that opinion/view? I don't make excuses, I just tell it like it is. I'm able to be objective.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The problem may not and probably isn't Colliton at all when it comes to the Vets. I believe they are very unhappy with Bowman and other upper managment which is affecting their play. If I were one of the vets, I would feel the same way. Managment has screwed with us the team and I'm going to screw with them. It seems obvious that the Core of vets is not happy with management which I don't blame them. What has Bowman done to make them happy and encourage them to play their best? Nothing!! No one can tell me that the core aren't very discouraged right now.

You're joking right? This post has to be a joke/sarcasm.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

I’m sure the core isn’t happy with losing, but what athlete is?

The rest you’re speculating on is borderline tinfoil hat stuff.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I certainly don't understand the love the new coach is getting (here and other places). Doesn't he have to do SOMETHING positive first?

The games I've seen have been a fiasco (and they're becoming fewer and fewer). For large stretches everyone looks like they're skating around in circles cluelessly, especially on defense.

I can't perceive a single positive thing he's done. When his coaching starts to impact the team in a better way he'll have my full support.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't agree. The coach is the coach. Period. Whether playing peewee hockey, high school hockey, college/juniors, or pros. The coach is the coach. And you respect your coach. That doesn't just change because you age... You think these guys alter what was beaten into their brain since they were 4 or 5 years old just because they get older? :laugh:

Sure, they may talk to their coach differently, they may offer more input, and/or challenge the coach on things. But they still respect him as the coach... Anyone who has played competitive sports would know this...
Not sure if you just worded it weirdly or I am misunderstanding it.
But players don't always respect their coach.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I certainly don't understand the love the new coach is getting (here and other places). Doesn't he have to do SOMETHING positive first?

The games I've seen have been a fiasco (and they're becoming fewer and fewer). For large stretches everyone looks like they're skating around in circles cluelessly, especially on defense.

I can't perceive a single positive thing he's done. When his coaching starts to impact the team in a better way he'll have my full support.

I think you’re overstating things by saying “love”.

The general response so far has been lukewarm, at best. The jury is still out on him.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Not sure if you just worded it weirdly or I am misunderstanding it.
But players don't always respect their coach.

There are times they don't, situations where a majority of players disagree with the coach, or where they don't get along, or where the message starts to ring hollow(like I think happened with this group and Q). But the majority of the time, I'd say the players respect their coach/coaches. I know I did, at all levels I played at. And most my teammates did, also.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00