Status
Not open for further replies.

kman22

Apr 11, 2010
If we trade Boychuk...

Chara-Hamilton
Seidenberg-Bartkowski
Krug-McQuaid

That is rough. I only move Boychuk if we get a top 6 winger back, and I doubt someone gives that to us for a 1 year rental.

Bart is the one that should be the odd man out, as Dellstrom said, Morrow should be coming up soon, and we have too many LHD.

As a point of reference, teams trade assets for pending UFAs almost every year in the spring. Add a year of Boychuk on top of that, and I think you might be undervaluing what Boston has

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
If we trade Boychuk...

Chara-Hamilton
Seidenberg-Bartkowski
Krug-McQuaid

That is rough. I only move Boychuk if we get a top 6 winger back, and I doubt someone gives that to us for a 1 year rental.

Bart is the one that should be the odd man out, as Dellstrom said, Morrow should be coming up soon, and we have too many LHD.

Zee➖Dougie
Krug➖Seids
Bart➖Quadier
Miller

I see them loading up like this IF no JB

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Why are the Ducks looking for D. They could probably use 1 upgrade in the top 4, but there are a ton of bodies there. Beauchemin, Fowler, Lindholm are locks. The just signed Fistric and Stoner, so they probably aren't going anywhere. Then there is still Lovejoy and Vatanen, not to mention Allen.

That's 8 NHL d? so why are they adding another?

EDIT: kman22: didn't mean to respond to your post, which wasn't even talking about D. :/

Fowler went down in practice on Thursday. It's said not to be too serious, but it's an apparent leg injury....so you never know.

Could make the Ducks think about looking for some D depth, I know Fowler had an MCL injury last year.

Ducks' Fowler day-to-day with leg injury

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
If we trade Boychuk...

Chara-Hamilton
Seidenberg-Bartkowski
Krug-McQuaid

Hamilton, Boychuk, McQuaid, Miller
Chara, Seidenberg (who playes either side), Krug, Bartkowski
somehow equates to having "too many LHD"

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Is Spooner isn't going to work here and we need to move a D: I'd rather see Spoons and Bart packaged for something like Kyle Palmieri.

Joe makes some great counterpoints but I think we're inviting trouble if we move Boychuk. It also means we have 4 lefties and 2 righties and while Dennis can be flipped over to right side... I don't know, I just don't see it.

Great to see many of you posting again.

That's How I Do!!!.....:D

Seriously, I fully expect Boychuk to be here through the end of the year, unless Chia gets blown away by an offer for him.

Not sure how many here are Marvel comics fans, but when I was younger I read them and there was a series called "What If?" and it typically involved a storyline in an alternate reality where a superhero died, never existed, etc., and how that changed everything.

I watch Soderberg and how good he looks, and then I see center prospects like Spooner and KoKo, and I wonder,

"What if the Bruins had traded Krejci instead of extending him?"

It would have certainly been interesting, and the B's likely would not need to be looking for a RW.

Maybe I will start a thread? :laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yes. Simple logic...keep the one you need every game...trade the other two who don't have defined roles...

If it were only that simple.

The "other two" are both younger and less expensive than Boychuk, who also happens to be on the wrong side of 30 (31 by mid-season), and will likely walk at season's end as a UFA.

I never say never on a player until you know what the return is going to be.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
If you can upgrade at FWD by moving Boychuk, do you consider it?

I do.

I don't.

There's no one here that can play 2nd pair mins. We found that out last year.

Now, I personally would love to see McQuaid get a shot, and I might trade Boychuk if that happened...but that's just me...

The Bruins have never indicated any interest in McQuaid as a 2nd pair guy...NEVER, that I can recall...

This team CANNOT survive someone like Bart out there big critical mins.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't.

There's no one here that can play 2nd pair mins. We found that out last year.

Now, I personally would love to see McQuaid get a shot, and I might trade Boychuk if that happened...but that's just me...

The Bruins have never indicated any interest in McQuaid as a 2nd pair guy...NEVER, that I can recall...

This team CANNOT survive someone like Bart out there big critical mins.

That's right, player's never get better with experience.

Tell me again how JB55 started off. Stepped out of the womb with skates on, ready to skate 20+ min per game?

:laugh:

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
If it were only that simple.

The "other two" are both younger and less expensive than Boychuk, who also happens to be on the wrong side of 30 (31 by mid-season), and will likely walk at season's end as a UFA.

I never say never on a player until you know what the return is going to be.

I heard plenty about how Chia didn't "go for it" last year...Chara window closing...so on...

If you have any plans of doing anything, Boychuk needs to play out his contract.

I don't care about return for any of them. Chia will be the professional he is, get the best he can, and trim the fat.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT

Tell me again how JB55 started off. Stepped out of the womb with skates on, ready to skate 20+ min per game?

So Bart? Second pair mins? You've seen enough to make that commitment?

Glad you're not running things.

We'll see how it plays out.

Mr. Make-Believe

Is Spooner isn't going to work here and we need to move a D: I'd rather see Spoons and Bart packaged for something like Kyle Palmieri.

Joe makes some great counterpoints but I think we're inviting trouble if we move Boychuk. It also means we have 4 lefties and 2 righties and while Dennis can be flipped over to right side... I don't know, I just don't see it.

Great to see many of you posting again.

A couple of things:

I think you could be right when you say it's inviting trouble. But I pose this? If Seidenberg/Boychuk is a pairing that renders each player less effective together than they are apart... Then is it so far-fetched to think that one of Krug/Miller/Bartkowski compliments Seidenberg BETTER and allows for a stronger middle pairing?

And to those who say "just pair Chara with Boychuk and put Dougie down with Seids"... Do we believe that Chara/Boychuk is a BETTER pairing for the top unit? Because I don't think it is.

Second:
Chara, Seidenberg (who plays either side), Bart, Krug on the left. That's four.
Hamilton, Miller, McQuaid. That's three. And that's after trading Boychuk. Right now, it's four and four with one lefty able to play either side of the ice. I just think that should be cleared up as I've seen it here a few times now.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I heard plenty about how Chia didn't "go for it" last year...Chara window closing...so on...

If you have any plans of doing anything, Boychuk needs to play out his contract.

I don't care about return for any of them. Chia will be the professional he is, get the best he can, and trim the fat.

That's your opinion, and you are welcome to it. Chia may in fact, do that, but it doesn't make it right, or the only way the B's can get where they need to be.

Mr. Make-Believe

That's your opinion, and you are welcome to it. Chia may in fact, do that, but it doesn't make it right, or the only way the B's can get where they need to be.

If you can ice a similar second pair, maintain the team's top pair AND add a RH skill player to the right side of the ice in the top nine (while saving money)... I think that would count as a move TOWARD "going for it", rather than away.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
The other question that may need to be answered is can Krug make the jump to a legit 2nd pairing guy. If he wants to cash in, I think the B's will want to see him be able to eat those minutes. He's also another guy who's comfortable on the right side.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
So Bart? Second pair mins? You've seen enough to make that commitment?

Glad you're not running things.

We'll see how it plays out.

My problem with your simplified version of things is that you just make assumptions and completely ignore some flat out facts:

1) You are making your decisions based on data gathered LAST YEAR. I have not seen enough to say that Bart/McQuaid/Krug are ready for Top 4 duty, but I'm also not going to assume they can't.

2) The very player that you are saying is irreplaceable was a 7th D just a few years ago, and through hard work he was able to improve and become a legit 2nd pair D.

3) You have no idea what other teams are offering.

If you are not flexible to consider these things, I'm glad your not running things.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if im dangling carrots right now i have a couple moves i throw out there

first i offer mcquaid/campbell/caron to edmonton for petry {1.5 mill retained} and an unwanted ahl contract

then i try to get buffalo to eat half of chris stewart contract and deal them bartowski as a cap dump and our first round pick

we pick up stewart at 2.075 and petry at 1,575
to replace campbell at 1.7 and mcquaid at 1.567 and bartowski at 1.25

it would leave us almost no payroll wiggle room but i think this lineup is cup winning quality...

stewart/krejci/lucic
smith/bergeron/marchand
eriksson/soderberg/fraser
cunningham/kelly/paille
robbins

hamilton/chara
petry/seidenberg
boychuck/krug
miller

rask
svedberg

we'd have some serious work to do to keep this team together next year and would probably lose 1 or both ufa dmen to ufa but im hoping krug will develop into a top 4 guy and i like morrow's chances of being ready for nhl next year. stewart to me has been a lazy playrer in his early career but getting a chance to play for a cup powerhouse team with a couple elite players should bring out the best in him if anything does. to me its worth gambling the pick on.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
A couple of things:

I think you could be right when you say it's inviting trouble. But I pose this? If Seidenberg/Boychuk is a pairing that renders each player less effective together than they are apart... Then is it so far-fetched to think that one of Krug/Miller/Bartkowski compliments Seidenberg BETTER and allows for a stronger middle pairing?

And to those who say "just pair Chara with Boychuk and put Dougie down with Seids"... Do we believe that Chara/Boychuk is a BETTER pairing for the top unit? Because I don't think it is.

Second:
Chara, Seidenberg (who plays either side), Bart, Krug on the left. That's four.
Hamilton, Miller, McQuaid. That's three. And that's after trading Boychuk. Right now, it's four and four with one lefty able to play either side of the ice. I just think that should be cleared up as I've seen it here a few times now.

And it's a fair argument to pose. Frankly: I like Krug in bottom pair. It allows for lots of spot picking and I see a lot of teams with shiddy depth that he can exploit.

Bart would be, as Joe has pointed out for weeks, the best of the guys to move up in top4. Maybe if he's paired with Seidenberg he can be more effective. While my training camp watching has been quite limited (no practices attended, only one game seen), I don't think they've tried that pairing.

What I fear, other than injuries, is that we move JB and then have to attempt to re-acquire a real top 4 prior to deadline.

If JB is moved: it better be for someone who can really shoot the puck (in the net).

Truth be told though, I see Bart as a 5. Not sure if he can be a 4. I've always liked the Fererence comp and I think Bart can move the puck better up ice, but (and maybe I'm over romanticizing Ference here) I'm still worried about Bart's decision making (the natural counter-argument is that Dennis is there).

I look at us as having a true, ideal, top four. With a glut of bottom pairing guys (5 according to Chiarelli, not sold on Warsofsky).

You and Joe have a good argument that I hope the brass has seriously considered. But it's gotta be for a legit asset, not a pick.

End ramble.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Seems everybody is much higher on Boychuk than I am. While I truly do appreciate his competitiveness, physical play and durability I think his play with the puck (apart from clearing the zone on the PK) is poor. I feel Miller is close to Boychuk's strength areas yet also moves the puck better. He doesn't have Boychuks shot but Boychuk doesn't really play the powerplay anyways due to his poor play with the puck. I also feel Miller has a lot of room for improvement whereas Boychuk is pretty much a finished product.

Moving Boychuk does leave some concerns with our defense though. It will have to be improved somehow over the season if we are going to compete in the playoffs.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

I can't remember perfectly well back then but wasn't Chara-Boychuk a thing at times as far back as 09-10, as well as Ference-Boychuk?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I can't remember perfectly well back then but wasn't Chara-Boychuk a thing at times as far back as 09-10, as well as Ference-Boychuk?

JB was in the AHL for several years, one year in PRO, then came in as a 7th D. He was a mid-season injury replacement for Ference or Stuart I believe. He worked his way up from there. While still prone to the occasional bad pinch or read, JB has cut WAY down on his bad decisions. Whether Bart can do the same remains to be seen, but I would never just outright assume he can't.

Mr. Make-Believe

And it's a fair argument to pose. Frankly: I like Krug in bottom pair. It allows for lots of spot picking and I see a lot of teams with shiddy depth that he can exploit.

Bart would be, as Joe has pointed out for weeks, the best of the guys to move up in top4. Maybe if he's paired with Seidenberg he can be more effective. While my training camp watching has been quite limited (no practices attended, only one game seen), I don't think they've tried that pairing.

What I fear, other than injuries, is that we move JB and then have to attempt to re-acquire a real top 4 prior to deadline.

If JB is moved: it better be for someone who can really shoot the puck (in the net).

Truth be told though, I see Bart as a 5. Not sure if he can be a 4. I've always liked the Fererence comp and I think Bart can move the puck better up ice, but (and maybe I'm over romanticizing Ference here) I'm still worried about Bart's decision making (the natural counter-argument is that Dennis is there).

I look at us as having a true, ideal, top four. With a glut of bottom pairing guys (5 according to Chiarelli, not sold on Warsofsky).

You and Joe have a good argument that I hope the brass has seriously considered. But it's gotta be for a legit asset, not a pick.

End ramble.

I think Krug is IDEALLY on the bottom pair. And that it's probably the best place for Bartkowski as well. If it's worth anything at all, I STILL see Kevan Miller as the guy to move up as I think he has the potential to eat up minutes just like Bartkowski does. If anything, Miller's decision-making wasn't near as suspect as Bart's and seems to be a safer option.

At the crux of this however, is the bolded. If it's any of these three guys gone for space and a pick, then it sure as **** better not be Boychuk. If Boychuk goes, it should be for something of significant value.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Silfverberg has a nasty release. Amongst the quickest I've seen, could be awesome with Söderberg setting him up and Loui doing Loui things (screening, making himself open as an alternative shooter if he gets back to that confidence, etc.)
Silfverberg has a $850,500 cap hit (although just one year), so he did indeed take a pay cut. I think he started last year great but then had a hand injury (4 goals his first 4 games and almost PPG before the injury), not sure who he played with after the injury/in the playoffs either.

But if we have to give up Boychuk to get him, I'm probably not doing it, unless we get something good to go with it. I'd rather we ship Bart in almost any scenario.

Also, we'd need a 1st line RW as well, unless we're putting Kelly there. :laugh:

LeMat(Swedish Cup)-winning goal 2012. :laugh:
Guess what? According to the Equipment Manager, number 100 is still available! :)

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
My problem with your simplified version of things is that you just make assumptions and completely ignore some flat out facts:

1) You are making your decisions based on data gathered LAST YEAR. I have not seen enough to say that Bart/McQuaid/Krug are ready for Top 4 duty, but I'm also not going to assume they can't.

2) The very player that you are saying is irreplaceable was a 7th D just a few years ago, and through hard work he was able to improve and become a legit 2nd pair D.

3) You have no idea what other teams are offering.

If you are not flexible to consider these things, I'm glad your not running things.

A decision is forthcoming. You sound like we're an expansion franchise with no forced call to make. We're not talking about growing a guy on the 3rd pair, we're talking about a 2nd pair defenseman that will make or break. It's not like there isn't tape on Bart. There's plenty. And playoff tape. Ugly playoff tape...of the most recent kind. I've considered. I've evaluated. Grow and see elsewhere.

If we were building a contender I'd be all for throwing Bart a spot and seeing what happens.

But we're a Cup contender that needs to cut around the outside, so the inside can be at its best.

I think you know which way Chia is probably going with this...and yes, that does have merit.

Trusting Bart with 2nd pair mins on a team with Cup aspirations could be a fatal flaw and a fire-able offense. Chia will pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad