TSN: JB/Quaider/Bart who gets the axe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Is Spooner isn't going to work here and we need to move a D: I'd rather see Spoons and Bart packaged for something like Kyle Palmieri.

Joe makes some great counterpoints but I think we're inviting trouble if we move Boychuk. It also means we have 4 lefties and 2 righties and while Dennis can be flipped over to right side... I don't know, I just don't see it.

Great to see many of you posting again.

I agree, that's the route I'd prefer as well, although I'm not 100% opposed to moving Boychuk depending on the return, but I think I'd be more prone to accept a lesser return with Bart+Spooner or pick

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I know I am in the minority but I hope it is Boychuck for these reasons:
1) he has the most value and would big back the greatest return
2) I simply do not think the Bruins can afford to keep him past this year
,he will deserve 5million plus and with Hamilton needing a new contract .How much of your salery do you want tied up in D.men.

I also hope Bart is moved I am not convinced his hockey IQ is high enough the be a soild performer at the NHL level

I mostly agree with this but I still don't want to see Boychuk traded because I think outside of losing Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Rask, or Lucic, his loss will hurt the team most. Getting back a 3rd line winger when they already have so many forwards who seem to be NHL ready just seems like a very bad swap. I would rather lose him in the off season for nothing that see his loss damage the chances of the team competing for a cup. If they are going to get back someone who is a proven 25 goal scoring two way winger then great, but I don't see that trade being presented to them.

Maybe I am wrong and there is a deal that the Bruins can make that makes them a better team if they decide to deal Boychuk, but I am pretty confident that gaining a 3rd line wing and losing Boychuk makes them worse while moving McQuaid or Bartkowski wouldn't hurt nearly as much.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
I don't want to see Boychuk go. I'm sure somebody has mentioned this already, but if any name should be listed beside Bart/Quaider it would logically be Miller... not JB55. Johnny is too valuable to the team and all three of Bart/Quaider/Miller could log major minutes on many an NHL team that does not have the kind of depth and surplus on the blue line.

That said, my answer as to who i personally would want gone is somewhat dependent on whether Bobby Robins makes the team or not. The team needs somebody who can fight a goon now that Thorty is gone... i don't want Looch fighting all the time especially with that tender wrist.

If Robins ends up a 4th line regular (at least in the lineup against tough-nosed teams) then i tend to favor keeping Bart as he brings a dimension that neither Miller nor McQuaid can bring. But without Robins, the need for Miller/McQuaid's toughness is more glaring and Bart has to be the odd man out IMO.

I love Quaider but he has proven to be a pretty injury-prone player and while he's a solid defender he does not bring the kind of potential offensive upside (not necessarily goal-scoring) that Bart does with his skating and mobility. Miller is a bargain contract and neither he or Bart have had enough time in the NHL to demonstrate injury-proneness.

Bart's preseason SH goal shouldn't factor into anything but i can't help but see it as a reminder that the kid does have some room for growth. The kid was only a rookie last year when he struggled to find the back of the net... but he did log major minutes with Boychuk and had a solid +/- (+22) as well as 18 assists in 64 games. Combine that overall competency with the kind of explosiveness Bart showed when he absolutely burned Okposo and fired a laser SHG--- and you still have an NHL defenseman regardless of his postseason struggles last year.

Miller did not exactly shine last postseason, either. And he does not have the kind of ceiling that Bart [still] has. I just think people are too quick to dismiss Bartkowski... i don't think the decision is that easy. Perhaps if McQuaid could stay healthy and Miller showed a little more offensive prowess i might say Bart is "easily" the odd man out.

Which is why it is important whether Robins is given a role this year or not. Bart can be physical but not like Miller/McQuaid and he can't (or doesn't) fight either.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Maybe it's because he's not a known commodity but it is odd that Warofsky's name hasn't been included in the group of candidates as well.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I would personally rather see Boychuk walk next summer. Even without our right side solidified, I think we're a cup contender with both Seidenberg, and Boychuk healthy. Along with Chara and an improving Hamilton.

'm not convinced that if we were to move Boychuk, any of our young d would be able to move in and fill the void while still keeping us a contender.

This is my concern as well. For the most part the kids played well without Seids during the regular season but during the playoffs they got schooled. With a top 4 of Chara Hamilton Seidenberg Boychuk the Bruins are in much better shape on defense this season. If these 4 can stay healthy look out!

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Why is Johnny Boychuk being lumped in with Bartkowski and McQuaid? Two completely different level of values IMO.

This. And unless it is Anaheim giving us Etem and DSP for Boychuk it's not going to be worth moving Boychuk for how bad it makes our Top 4.

Just move Bart for a 2nd + 4th or something similar.

Keep Boychuk and McQuaid.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
1st We're losing someone that we like an or this player can bring stuff for us yet.

Chara ➖ Dougie
Seids ➖ J-bomb
Krug ➖ Quaider
Bart ➖ Miller
Warsofsky

Seids ➡️ JB ➡️ Krug ➡️ Bart ➡️ Quaider ➡️ Need too see more but most likely WarsO ➡️ Miller

JB and Bart ..Will most likely take on bigger roles with new team. This doesn't take away from Quaider we all know he's special, I'd even argue he could push up his minutes.

I could be shocked when this is over even say hey I was wrong.. but I believe there is a ton of value in these 3 being groomed under Stone Clode

We need to cash in appropriate, not give them away

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Honestly, I agree with making Miller available too. Wasn't very good in the Montreal series, and I do think that McQuaid is a step above him, as far as steadiness and reliability goes.

Miller is signed for 800K for 2 years and is an ideal 6/7 defenseman. There is absolutely no chance he is going anywhere else.

A Healthy Kelly*

if you're including spooner+ one of the mentioned D in a trade that involves only palmieri coming back and not at least a tier-2 prospect (granted palmieri has the experience factor) i see that as a lateral move and possibly an overpayment. spooner hasn't been given enough of a chance and can produce as well as palmieri is projected to imo. that said, i love spooner. it also would make sense i guess given that palmieri is from either NY or NJ iirc

another positive i'll add about palmieri is that he's fast and agile... but again, spooner lol

kman22

Apr 11, 2010
if you're including spooner+ one of the mentioned D in a trade that involves only palmieri coming back and not at least a tier-2 prospect (granted palmieri has the experience factor) i see that as a lateral move and possibly an overpayment. spooner hasn't been given enough of a chance and can produce as well as palmieri is projected to imo. that said, i love spooner. it also would make sense i guess given that palmieri is from either NY or NJ iirc

another positive i'll add about palmieri is that he's fast and agile... but again, spooner lol

Palmieri is a winger, while some doubt that Spooner would be a good fit on the wing. Based on the organizational depth down the middle, Palmieri would be a better fit. I am a big fan of Spooner, but that's the rationale behind trading Spooner in a deal for a winger.

A Healthy Kelly*

Palmieri is a winger, while some doubt that Spooner would be a good fit on the wing. Based on the organizational depth down the middle, Palmieri would be a better fit. I am a big fan of Spooner, but that's the rationale behind trading Spooner in a deal for a winger.

you're right, i'm assuming he'd adapt well to playing a wing.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I keep Boychuck and McQuaid. I also keep Miller for insurance in case McQuaid gets hurt again.

I think a package of Spooner and Bartkowski would provide a nice return, perhaps an NHL game-ready youngster at RW.

Agreed. I don't want to see Boychuck or Adam traded. McQuiads value can't be too high right now, and he was improving pretty drastically especially on the PK up until his string of injuries.

Boychuck I would consider moving for a overpayment and/or if someone in the B's organization knows we won't have the $$ for him next year.

NotedToughGuyDKrejci

Aug 7, 2004
LA, CA

Why are the Ducks looking for D. They could probably use 1 upgrade in the top 4, but there are a ton of bodies there. Beauchemin, Fowler, Lindholm are locks. The just signed Fistric and Stoner, so they probably aren't going anywhere. Then there is still Lovejoy and Vatanen, not to mention Allen.

That's 8 NHL d? so why are they adding another?

EDIT: kman22: didn't mean to respond to your post, which wasn't even talking about D. :/

Last edited:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Why are the Ducks looking for D. They could probably use 1 upgrade in the top 4, but there are a ton of bodies there. Beauchemin, Fowler, Lindholm are locks. The just signed Fistric and Stoner, so they probably aren't going anywhere. Then there is still Lovejoy and Vatanen, not to mention Allen.

That's 8 NHL d? so why are they adding another?

EDIT: kman22: didn't mean to respond to your post, which wasn't even talking about D. :/

I think you nailed it, they want an upgrade in the Top 4.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'd ship off Bart.

We have too many LHD, and you'd expect Morrow is going to start developing soon. Takes defensemen a while to develop, especially after some injuries, so you have to think this year or next year he becomes legit.

Boychuk, we wouldn't get enough for (unless it's a crazy bidding war), and he's an extremely important part of this d corps. McQuaid, we'd get close to nothing for. He's not worth much in trade value but he's an extremely solid 3rd pairing dman who can throw.

Bart is young, a great skater, and has value. He's the odd man out.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I would bet my Joe Thornton autographed stick they both want and are trying to acquire Silfverberg. Ottawa guy, Swede, played great against Boston. He would be a home run - shoots right!!!! I would put Loui in this. Soderberg-Silfverberg would be the best thing from Sweden since the chef

Silfverberg has a nasty release. Amongst the quickest I've seen, could be awesome with Söderberg setting him up and Loui doing Loui things (screening, making himself open as an alternative shooter if he gets back to that confidence, etc.)
Silfverberg has a $850,500 cap hit (although just one year), so he did indeed take a pay cut. I think he started last year great but then had a hand injury (4 goals his first 4 games and almost PPG before the injury), not sure who he played with after the injury/in the playoffs either.

But if we have to give up Boychuk to get him, I'm probably not doing it, unless we get something good to go with it. I'd rather we ship Bart in almost any scenario.

Also, we'd need a 1st line RW as well, unless we're putting Kelly there. :laugh:

LeMat(Swedish Cup)-winning goal 2012. :laugh:

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
If we trade Boychuk...

Chara-Hamilton
Seidenberg-Bartkowski
Krug-McQuaid

That is rough. I only move Boychuk if we get a top 6 winger back, and I doubt someone gives that to us for a 1 year rental.

Bart is the one that should be the odd man out, as Dellstrom said, Morrow should be coming up soon, and we have too many LHD.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
No, your not. I do not think it is a coincidence that every d-man except Chara has struggled when paired with Boychuk.

Ference-Boychuk shut down the Malkin line in the playoffs.
Boychuk-Chara has been solid since 09-10 or so.

We haven't really seen Boychuk with anyone else aside from a little Bart last season and a little Seids recently?
And with that said, maybe it's more on Bart than Boychuk.
And Boychuk-Seidenberg are too similar to be well paired together anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad